TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
wratterus

New Zealand Tivo TCD663320 welcome then gray screen - unresponsive

Hi all, I hope this is an acceptable place to post this, I see there is an Australia/NZ section, but it appears to be pretty dead.

Telecom here in NZ were giving Tivos away recently with a promo. I bought a Tivo 320 (model # TCD663320) off a person who had received one, but had no need for it. It is brand new.

I set it up, scanned for channels etc and it ran perfectly for three days (apart from not picking up one channel that it should have, but that was a minor niggle). Then the other day, I turned the TV on and there was just a gray screen, nothing else, and the Tivo was unresponsive to the remote.

I had a look online, but there seemed to be a lot of differing opinion on forums etc about what the issue could be, and what to do about it. Left it unplugged overnight, same issue. When it's powered on, there is the welcome screen (sometimes that lasts a few seconds, other times up to a minute) then the grey screen.

I now can't get hold of the guy I bought the Tivo off, and Telecom and Tivo NZ don't want to hear about it as I don't have proof of purchase, even thought the Tivo is brand new.

From what I read here, it seems the issue is probably either a faulty tuner, or a faulty hard drive.

I setup the UHF aerial myself, there is a run of brand new dual shield RG6 from the aerial to a wall jack, (about 25 - 30 meters) then using the cable that came with the Tivo to go from the wall jack to the f-connector input on the Tivo.

There shouldn't be any issues with cabling/interference.

I'm a bit miffed, obviously there is some risk buying 'second hand' goods, but as this was brand new, the box hadn't even been opened, I would have thought that Tivo NZ would look at checking it out under warranty.

I can get hold of a replacement drive for $75, which would be OK, if I knew that was going to fix the issue.

What is your guys thoughts on this issue?

Looking forward to any replies.

Thanks,
Dean.
wratterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Just curious, is that model NZ's version of the Premiere?

In any case, the hard drive is most suspect. Next would be the power supply.

Sounds like you would be comfortable opening the Tivo (unplugged of course).
Examine the power supply, specifically the capacitors. They should all appear flat on top.

Does the replacement drive you can get for $75 already come with the Tivo software on it? If not, then it won't work, unless you put the software on there yourself.

You can get a replacement drive already loaded with the Tivo software from here:
http://www.weaknees.com/australia-new-zealand-tivo.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
wratterus

Thanks for the reply.

I'd say it is... not 100% though. Here is called 'Tivo Series 3' or 'Tivo 320'. Has a 320GB HDD, no DVD, DVB-T tuner. (Record 2 channels, watch a third.)

The $75 HDD comes with the Tivo software on it, from a seller on TradeMe (our Ebay kinda).

However there was a very pleasent development this afternoon, I was able to track down the Telecom account number of the guy I bought the Tivo from, that is enough to satisfy Telecom that it's all legit, and they are sending a new unit out under warranty, even with a courier sticker for me to send the faulty unit back, so in the end, that's worked out very well.

I would have been more than happy opening up the unit and having a look, that was more of a last ditch thing as I can't imagine Telecom being very happy replacing the Tivo if it had been opened.

Last edited by wratterus : 10-10-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
unitron

For future reference, usually welcome screen (which is kept on a chip on the motherboard) followed by a gray-ish screen that just sits there, is caused by some failure of the motherboard and hard drive to be able to communicate.

Could be as simple as a loose cable, could be a power supply that's failing and can't properly spin up the drive, could be the drive itself has a problem.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
wratterus

Thanks unitron.