TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
hooper

Swap Hard Drives

I didn't see an answer to this on a quick search.

Is it possible to take a hard drive from a Premiere XL and put it in a Premiere? Both are the 2 tuner models and are in service now. The non XL has lifetime and I am probably going to retire one of the boxes and figured I could use the extra space in the lifetime box.
hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper View Post
I didn't see an answer to this on a quick search.

Is it possible to take a hard drive from a Premiere XL and put it in a Premiere? Both are the 2 tuner models and are in service now. The non XL has lifetime and I am probably going to retire one of the boxes and figured I could use the extra space in the lifetime box.
That would reduce the resale value of your XL to nearly nothing.

In your position I'd find some way to come up with $100 (which is less than you're going to save the first year of not paying monthly on the XL) and get a 2TB WD20EURS for that lifetimed machine, use jmfs to copy and expand, and put the original 320GB drive on the shelf for safe-keeping.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
That would reduce the resale value of your XL to nearly nothing.

In your position I'd find some way to come up with $100 (which is less than you're going to save the first year of not paying monthly on the XL) and get a 2TB WD20EURS for that lifetimed machine, use jmfs to copy and expand, and put the original 320GB drive on the shelf for safe-keeping.
Recent sales of XL's on ebay 30-60 bucks indicate isn't worth much more than the cost of the drive. Unless I missing something.
hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Gary-B

I had to do this when my XL drive died. Pulled the drive from the Premiere and used jmfs and put a 2T drive in it. Had to do a clear and delete for it to work. Don't know if I lost the THX but the software seems the same. Been using it for over a year now.
Good Luck.
67" Samsung DLP
55" Samsung Plasma
61 Terabytes Storage.
Popcorn Hour C-300
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper View Post
Recent sales of XL's on ebay 30-60 bucks indicate isn't worth much more than the cost of the drive. Unless I missing something.
I don't really keep up with S4 prices, but I'm pretty sure they're hard to move without a drive in them.

I suppose you could keep it in case you ever need the power supply, if it's the same as the one in the regular Premiere.

But if you put a 2TB in place of the 320, you'll be even less tempted to use one of those problematic externals.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote