TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
robertgp124
Ordinary Member

Failing drive and transferring a recording

Fairly certain my external MyDVR is failing on my Tivo HD. We get freezes and reboots. Often when it tries to reboot (and the MyDVR is connected) it won't reboot - if I disconnect the MyDVR, Tivo seems to boot fine (and offers to reset itself).

I recorded a show off the Disney Channel for my son and would like not to lose that. I have TimeWarner and the copy protection flag is thrown. There's no way to rescue his recording is there by transferring it to another Tivo is there? When I try to access it from the Premiere, there's just a big red x next to it.

I'm wondering if I purchase another drive and clone the external, if that would work (We've downloaded a half dozen shows from Amazon and while I hate to lose those, at least I can redownload them!)

Thanks!
robertgp124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgp124 View Post
Fairly certain my external MyDVR is failing on my Tivo HD. We get freezes and reboots. Often when it tries to reboot (and the MyDVR is connected) it won't reboot - if I disconnect the MyDVR, Tivo seems to boot fine (and offers to reset itself).

I recorded a show off the Disney Channel for my son and would like not to lose that. I have TimeWarner and the copy protection flag is thrown. There's no way to rescue his recording is there by transferring it to another Tivo is there? When I try to access it from the Premiere, there's just a big red x next to it.

I'm wondering if I purchase another drive and clone the external, if that would work (We've downloaded a half dozen shows from Amazon and while I hate to lose those, at least I can redownload them!)

Thanks!
I've never used an external drive with my TiVos, but I know that eSATA is not a very robust connection method. Try a different eSATA cable (or several) if you have extras available. I think that if you can remove your external drive from its case and clone it using something like ddrescue (onto an identical drive, or at least one with the same number of sectors), the clone should work with the TiVo. Someone with actual experience doing this should reply to confirm and elaborate.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:

Thanks!

If it is actually the TiVo approved WD external drive which is failing (which could be either the drive or the enclosure electronics, including the enclosure's power supply), and not an iffy eSATA cable, then you could buy another TiVo approved WD external drive (to be sure to get an actual inside the enclosure drive with one of the few model numbers on the list the TiVo checks external drives against) and "Xerox" the current drive to the new one with one of three Linux command line utilities, either the original

dd

or

dd_rescue

both of which are on the MFS Live cd v1.4, or

ddrescue

which is on the jmfs cd amongst other places.

But since we're talking about a TiVo that's newer than a Series 1 and older than a Series 4, you need to make sure it's not the power supply inside the TiVo suffering from "capacitor plague" before you attempt any other diagnosis.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Teeps

As usual Unitron has nailed it; noting more to see here folks, move along...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
evanborkow

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If it is actually the TiVo approved WD external drive which is failing (which could be either the drive or the enclosure electronics, including the enclosure's power supply), and not an iffy eSATA cable, then you could buy another TiVo approved WD external drive (to be sure to get an actual inside the enclosure drive with one of the few model numbers on the list the TiVo checks external drives against) and "Xerox" the current drive to the new one with one of three Linux command line utilities,
Haven't I also read of trying the original external drive in a new enclosure. There's one that's recommended on this board.
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
robertgp124
Ordinary Member

It is a Tivo approved external drive - it's the old WD 500 gb expander. I'm going to try a new cable tomorrow and see if that helps. Seems like I still have the original.

I'll pop the case and clean the inside out - and take a look at the capacitors. Not sure exactly how to check that out, but will start to research and see if I can bribe my electrical engineer boss to have a look as well.

Thanks very much!
robertgp124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanborkow View Post
Haven't I also read of trying the original external drive in a new enclosure. There's one that's recommended on this board.
Yes, in some cases it has been the electronics in the WD external case causing problems.
Some people have been successful taking the hard drive out of the WD case and put it in an Antec MX-1 and save their recordings.
Example.

Quote:
I'll pop the case and clean the inside out - and take a look at the capacitors. Not sure exactly how to check that out, but will start to research and see if I can bribe my electrical engineer boss to have a look as well.

Thanks very much!
You just want to look at the capacitors. They should be completely flat on top.
The difference between good (normal) and bad (bulging)...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bad capacitor.jpg (54.0 KB, 23 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote