TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
dmbpj

Tivo Copy Issues. Almost in Tears. Please help.

I am close to tears here. I bought a new WD approved HD and wanted to use Mfscopy and I screwed something up.

I backed up my original drive, kernal, and boot page, but now I am not sure what to do and don't want to totally blow this.

In Winmfs when I select my original Tivo drive I can see the parameters of model #, format, drive size (160GB), sectors, bus type and it is unmounted. But when I click select the drive does not show up in the lower left of Winmfs and when I go to to mfs copy, only the drive I am trying to copy to shows up.

Here is a screenshot

The drive just shows up at Tivo Drive A: 0 (, )

Scary thing is when I went to select the drive the first time it all showed up ok. I am not sure what I did.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
dmbpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
dmbpj

UPDATE:

The original Tivo drive (160GB) booted up....THANKFULLY.

What is the best way to prep a drive for Mfscopy? I am not sure if I have done something to it and want to wipe it totally clean.

Should I reformat my replacement 500GB drive as NTF, then remove format in Winmfs, and then finally use Mfscopy?
dmbpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbpj View Post
UPDATE:

The original Tivo drive (160GB) booted up....THANKFULLY.

What is the best way to prep a drive for Mfscopy? I am not sure if I have done something to it and want to wipe it totally clean.

Should I reformat my replacement 500GB drive as NTF, then remove format in Winmfs, and then finally use Mfscopy?
It's usually better to post your problem in once place around here only.

Although I answered you in the other thread, I was unaware of this one and stumbled upon it completely by chance.

I hope you got a really low price on that 500GB drive, considering you can use a 1TB, 1.5TB, or 2TB in the S3 HD and the price in dollars per gigabyte goes down considerably as you go up in size.

When you say the original TiVo drive booted up, do you mean the TiVo booted successfully with that drive re-installed?

You do not have to do any formatting or erasing of either drive.

(WinMFS's mfscopy will overwrite anything and everything on the drive to which you do the copying, i.e., the target drive, and will not change anything on the drive from which you are copying, i.e., the source)

You should not do any formatting or erasing of either drive, because that just creates opportunities for something to go wrong.

However, something you should do is take the new drive and run the manufacturer's diagnostics long test on it because occasionally brand new drives turn out not to be "good as new" for who knows what reason.

Better to find out and return or exchange if necessary now than after you lose some recordings.

Also if it's a Western Digital drive, you should run wdidle3.exe to see if the drive has Intellipark enabled, and if it does, disable it or set the time period really long, like 300 seconds, which will accomplish the same thing.

The Ultimate Boot CD bootable cd should have all of that stuff on it nice and handy, and you can download the image for free and burn yourself a copy as an image.

It's also handy to have if you have computer problems later on.

If the 160 is working properly in the TiVo, and your computer does not have a Gigabyte brand motherboard (if it does, let us know, and we'll talk about the problem and how to work around it), then connect it (the source) and the bigger drive (the target) to your PC, boot into Windows, don't have any programs running, and then open WinMFS (which means you'll be running 1 program)

Make sure you're running WinMFS as administrator or with administrator privileges to insure it can see both drives.

Do not, do not, do not, open any other programs that look at hard drives in any way, shape, or form.

Click on select drive, select the 160, click on mfsinfo, make sure it doesn't issue any warnings, save the results as a text file somewhere just in case the info is ever needed.

Then close that, click on mfscopy, then select the bigger drive as mfscopy's target.

You do want the optimized partition layout (if it gives you a choice) and where it offers a chance to specify swap partition size, my personal preference is to go for 1000MB, instead of the original 128MB.

That's only about 15 minutes of high quality standard definition analog cable video and I consider it cheap insurance in case more space is ever needed to straighten something out.

Also, if in the future you want to use comer's jmfs cd to copy the new drive to an even bigger one (limit 2TB) and expand, it cannot make any change in the size of the swap partition, it has to copy the entire drive "as is".

When mfscopy finishes running (after sitting there for an hour or three looking like it froze up--but it really didn't), it'll say you've got extra space on the new drive and do you want to expand. Say yes. It'll do that part in about a second.

Then select the new bigger drive and click on mfsinfo to make sure it has no complaints and save it's output as another text file, then close WinMFS, shut down Windows, take the 160GB drive and hide it away on a shelf somewhere for emergencies and install the bigger drive in the TiVo.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote