TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
heberman

Advice on which premiere model to buy?

Hello everyone,

I cancelled cable a while back and am just receiving Netflix, Amazon Instant and Hulu Plus on a Roku. I have a good OTA antenna and would like to get a TiVo to record a few shows and live sports from my local channels.

I've decided on the Premiere model rather than an old model because I want the option in a few months to buy the streaming device for my iPad. Since I don't anticipate storing a lot, the 45 hour model seems ok for my needs, barely.

My question: am I ok buying the cheapest refurb Premiere TiVo for $79 or are their other features that you think are important on the more expensive models? 2 tuners only are fine code my needs. My most important needs: quality 720p picture, fast and responsive U.I., and the ability to stream to my iPad. I tried the Comcast HD DVR and hated it. I really liked the Dish HD DVR (the 720 model or whatever it was). Cost is an important factor.

Any input would be appreciated.
heberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
supasta

Your desire to use OTA will make your decision quite simple, as it will limit your choices to one. The entry-level Premiere 2 tuner box is the only one out of the three currently offered units (Premiere, Premiere 4, Premiere XL4) that supports OTA recording.

http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-pr...mpare.html#tab

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
Your desire to use OTA will make your decision quite simple, as it will limit your choices to one. The entry-level Premiere 2 tuner box is the only one out of the three currently offered units (Premiere, Premiere 4, Premiere XL4) that supports OTA recording.

http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-pr...mpare.html#tab
Well the above is not exactly the whole story.

At this point there are 4 different options and 3 different model "Premieres" available at TiVo.com that will work with OTA:
  1. The current Premiere (500GB hard drive) at $150,
  2. The Original Premiere (320GB hard drive) for $99,
  3. A refurbished original Premiere for $79, and
  4. The TiVo Premiere XL for $250
The original Premiere (320GB model) and the TiVo Premiere XL are discontinued models and TiVo just ended a sales promotion on both of them.

It is the general belief that the only difference between the original Premiere and the current Premiere is the size of the hard drive (320 vs 500GB). The differences the Premiere XL has are that it has a 1TB drive, glow remote, and THX certification.

All the models have the same basic DVR features and will Provide output identical to the actual OTA broadcast (which will be 1080i, 720p, or 480i depending on the channel and time of day) or scale output to a fixed number (720p or 1080i) they can also pass through 1080p content from Netflix or videos you up load to your TiVo (OTA is not currently broadcast in 1080p).

All units have a choice of 2 UIs the older UI that is referred to as the SDUI and the newer UI that is referred to as the HDUI. The SDUI is very fast but lacks eye candy and the newer features of the HDUI. Depending on who you talk to the HDUI is fast, acceptable, or to slow. So you will have to decide on that for yourself. I find both UIs very acceptable and normally use the SDUI because I have older units and just like using the same UI and all of them.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 11-05-2012 at 06:45 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
[*]The Original Premiere (320GB hard drive) for $99,

The original Premiere (320GB model) and the TiVo Premiere XL are discontinued models and TiVo just ended a sales promotion on both of them.

It is the general belief that the only difference between the original Premiere and the current Premiere is the size of the hard drive (320 vs 500GB). The differences the Premiere XL has are that it has a 1TB drive, glow remote, and THX certification.
You might also be able to pick up one of the 45hr models at Best Buy for $70. I just bought one for my daughter's college graduation gift. The stores around me have them on clearance right now to get rid of stock on hand.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
heberman

Ok, thanks for the information. It helps a lot.
heberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Tony Chick

Only the 2 tuner Premieres support OTA, the 4 tuner ones do not
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote