TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
jdaniels1982

Signal Amplifier

I recently hooked up a 15db Motorolla Signal Amp that I purchased on Amazon in order to fix ongoing pixelation issues on my Tivo XL.

In the first 2 days since installing the signal amp, the cablecard has unbinded from the tivo several times. Am I doing something wrong...the signal amp is bi-directional, so if the cablecard should be able to talk to cablevision no problem.

Could the amp be too powerful?

I called cablevision (didn't tell them about the amp) and they rebinded it no problem

Anyone have any advice?
jdaniels1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
MeInDallas

Check the Tivo diagnostic screen and see how high your signal levels are. If they are pegged right at 100 then you might need to put an attenuator on to bring it down a bit.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
MeInDallas

It is kinda like this? I use one too with 4 ports.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motorola.jpg (80.2 KB, 20 views)
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Cheap signal splitters can be tried as an attenuator. Any attenuator that you try should be put between the amp and the TV. Also, is there any possibility that the amp you got is sending a DC signal on the middle conductor? I'm assuming that the amp is one that plugs into the wall and not just an inline one that requires a DC voltage on the cable to operate.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
worachj

Have the cable company check the signal and lines into your house. Signal problems pixalization/strengh are usually the problem of the cable company, so the cable cards unbinding are most likely their problem

Unless you have long runs or split the signal multiple times, I wouldn't think you would have a need for a signal booster.

I had pixalzion problems and the cable company claimed the signal was fine. After putting up with the problem for three months I called again and this time the service technician checked the line from the pole to the house and found that squirrels had chewed on the line. He replaced the line from the pole to the house and everything was fixed.
worachj is offline   Reply With Quote