TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Audio gets out of phase - Sound changes

This is a weird one and happens quite often - but cannot be repeated on demand. The Tivo is a P4.

When using FF/RW and Jump Back buttons frequently, the audio will sometimes (as best as I can describe) go - "off track" during playback of recorded shows. Kind of like the sound a multi=track reel to reel tape recorder would get if the tape wasn't on the heads right or something. It is still in sync - that is not the issue.

In my best estimation it's either -
Gone from stereo to mono
or
Gotten out of phase.

Some people might not even notice but I worked in recording studios and have engineered my own recordings as well - and it's very noticeable.

This usually only seems to happen when I'm skipping around a lot.
Skipping back/forward again usually will correct it either on the first try or after a couple attempts.

Yea - WERID right?

The TV is a VIZIO VX42L HDTV10A - and the P4 is plugged direct via HDMI - no switches or other stuff going on - but that shouldn't matter - it will only reproduce whatever audio it is being fed right?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
TexasDVR

I have notice too at least twice. I have only had the unit a week.

It is most noticeable while watching a recording with excellent sound like CSI NewYork or the Grammy's etc. While watching the recording, and then bring up to do list or season pass manager or all over the system, it all the sudden would change from excellent sound to just plain "mono" and be sort of dull sounding. Usually switching in and out of the live tuner would fix it immediately.

Mine is the Premier 500G and OTA only - two tuner. It drives the plasma direct via HDMI, and I have the video for full Native - all boxes checked. The plasma has 4 built in speaker - 2 of those small woofers, so the sound is pretty good. I suppose it could be happening due to all the video switching taking place in Native mode via HDMI?

Since we just moved I have not had the opportunity to hook up the Denon AVR. Since we are starting a major remodel, that could be a year down the road. LOL So I have no idea how this issue may affect the 5.1/7.1 sound system.
TexasDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
cheese toast

I too have this problem. It just seems to randomly happen.
cheese toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I don't know if this is the same issue (I have a TivoHD), but occasionally I will use 30 SS or replay and the audio sometimes becomes out of sync with the video.
Just enough to be distracting, like there is a fast echo in the room.
This is between the TV and audio receiver. I can mute the receiver and the echo goes away.
Usually I just pause for a few seconds and things sync back up upon resuming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Why would you have the sound turned on for both the receiver and TV?
Premiere (320GB) w/ MoCA adapter
Mini

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Why would you have the sound turned on for both the receiver and TV?
Because I like the Tivo sound effects and if I mute the TV, I won't be able to hear them.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

At least it's not me. Since it doesn't "stick" and goes away by jumping back or FF/RW I'll chalk it up to an annoyance/bug and nothing more.

For me it is happening plugged directly into a TV with built in stereo sound - no chance of any audio system configuration issues.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
TexasDVR

I think the problem is either a HDMI handshaking issue or a small TiVo software bug; at least it is a fast easy fix. Still it is the annoyance factor.
TexasDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
jeffsinsfo

This happens occasionally on my XL4 as well. Sort of annoying, but not such a big deal that I've done anything to try to trouble shoot it or report it to TiVo. Mine is definitely not related to HDMI handshaking because I'm using component outs from the TiVo for video and optical digital for audio.
jeffsinsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Audio Anomaly

This annoyance happens to my composite-audio XL4 often, probably three to five occurrences per hour of viewing, mostly when pressing Replay or Skip. The audio in one speaker seems to be faint until "resetting" it by pressing Replay, Slow, or some other playback function.

Notice in this captured video how the right speaker audio is faint until I pause the video then press Rewind one time while paused to go back one frame then press Play to resume which seems to "reset" the audio to normal.

MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #11
chrispitude

Add me to the list - happens on my 2-tuner Premiere too. What's strange is that I have my audio set to Dolby, so I can't figure out how the TiVo could affect a channel inside the bitstream. Or, maybe the cable company encodes the channels as a mix of PCM and Dolby?
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
Crrink

Me too - two tuner Premiere connected to a Sony LCD via HDMI. Nothing else in between.
The sound has that sort of hollow feel that an out of phase sound has, but I can't say for sure if the sound is actually out of phase. I suppose it could also be some misreading of the multi-track audio feed going through my TV's stereo speakers.

I can check when I get home, but I do think I have Sony's implementation of fake surround running - so perhaps that's another potential culprit?

Whatever it is, it's fairly new - beginning of the year at earliest. Maybe it came along with the last software update.

Glad it's easy to fix!
Crrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
sharkster

I have this sound change thing happen, too, randomly. I have the original 2-tuner Premieres. It happens mostly on my living rm TV for some reason. I recently replaced that TV and it still happens but less frequently, which seems weird.

It's been happening for a while now for me too. I chalk it up to one of several weird things that happen since the Fall updates. I only say that because I have no idea what ELSE it could be.

My current living rm TV is a Sony, also. But it was happening a lot with the previous one, which was a Toshiba. (FWIW)
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #14
tranquil

Audio shift on 30 sec scan

I have similar problem. tivo Premiere using component out and optical audio. It is easily reproducible using 30 sec. scan/skip. It is very noticable and the only fix seems to be to stop/restart the program playback from the my shows menu. Tried Tivo chat but they said it was beyond their capability. here is a sample sound file of the issue "*******.com/cqnm59e"

Looks like I will be calling support.
tranquil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
ahwman

I have this same issue on both of my brand new XL4's and have reported it to TiVo. The funny thing is the first few techs I spoke with acted like they've NEVER heard of this issue and blamed it on everything but my TiVo's. It took two more calls before I finally got a tech who admitted that TiVo is aware of this issue. As a new TiVo customer, I've been hoping that TiVo is the kind of company that is really on top of correcting glitches and bugs, however I'm starting to loose my confidence as I see several other ongoing issues (no suggestions with tuning adapter, SDV issues with certain channels, etc.) which have yet to see a fix for...

Here's to hoping TiVo will do the right thing and correct these annoying issues...
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

I've never reported it - but it's beginning to sound like it's quite common - but very few people have complained - so maybe we all should take the time to report the issue and refer them back to this thread as well.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #17
TexasDVR

Well it is good to know that it affects others that are “not” using HDMI. At least that rules out the HDMI cable I am using.

To me, it sounds like it goes straight to mono; a little bit more aggressive than just phasing, but it still could be that too – just a weird sort of phasing.

Sometimes I can go a whole week without the problem others times it may be 2 or 3 times a day.

I have also had it happen when switching to Live TV. Again the solution is the same, pause then play or skip to end, etc.