TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #61
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

My bad... I'm an idiot. I was thinking the "Christmas special" was still to come since there was nothing Christmassy in this ep.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #62
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Don't feel so bad, Robin. I didn't realize at first that this was the episode aired on Christmas Day. Looking back, there are clues -- like the amount of time that has elapsed since the previous episodes, and the ending of the previous episode, which seemed like it was made to end out a season. If I had put those two things together, I would have figured it out, but I wasn't looking at the episodes that way. I was watching them for the story.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #63
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
My bad... I'm an idiot. I was thinking the "Christmas special" was still to come since there was nothing Christmassy in this ep.
Oh. Okay. I was confused for a bit.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #64
philw1776

Just now watched it. (thanks TiVo) Wife did not know what to expect and is wicked pissed at the actor. I knew from accidentally seeing a snippet on the internet months ago that the actor was leaving.

I had 2 different solutions...
1. Simply re-cast Matthew like they did with Helen in "All Creatures Great and Small" and say nothing
2. Do an edgy cross venue thingy and have Matthew return as a vampire. Makeup does wonders and a whole new demographic will watch.

You can thank me later Julian for my genius
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #65
laria
Librocubicularist

I knew that Dan Stevens was leaving, but even if I didn't... this is Soap Opera 101. When everyone is super happy and all is going well in the world, like we saw at the end of the cricket match in the episode before, then it is 100% sure something bad is about to happen.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #66
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

I see my quote CASTING SPOILER unquote from this morning got deleted without my knowledge or any advance warning. No, I am not going to repost it in [spoiler] tags - you want to know, fire up your google machine.

I find this utterly ridiculous. The news was widely reported - I saw it in the Huffington Post. The show has completed season 3 and has not started shooting season 4. I posted no plot details, because I don't have any, BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T BEEN WRITTEN.

To characterize this news as a "spoiler" is to distort the meaning of the word out of all recognition.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #67
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
To characterize this news as a "spoiler" is to distort the meaning of the word out of all recognition.
I have two things to say about this.

1) Whining because someone called you out for making a mistake, instead of saying something like "oops, sorry!" is uncool.

2) You posted in an episode-specific thread, which is supposed to be where people talk about what actually happened in that episode. What part of "talk about the episode in the thread title" is not clear? It's not like there isn't another, more general thread. Go post over there.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #68
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I have two things to say about this.

1) Whining because someone called you out for making a mistake, instead of saying something like "oops, sorry!" is uncool.

2) You posted in an episode-specific thread, which is supposed to be where people talk about what actually happened in that episode. What part of "talk about the episode in the thread title" is not clear? It's not like there isn't another, more general thread. Go post over there.
1. Presupposes that I should agree about the existence of a mistake. I reviewed the spoiler rules today, and for the life of me cannot find my "mistake" in there. [p.s. Whining? No.]

2. I admit I didn't do a search for the general thread. You have my mea culpa on that front.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #69
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
1. Presupposes that I should agree about the existence of a mistake. I reviewed the spoiler rules today, and for the life of me cannot find my "mistake" in there. [p.s. Whining? No.]

2. I admit I didn't do a search for the general thread. You have my mea culpa on that front.
A casting spoiler is, whether you agree or not, a spoiler. If the audience knows an actor is leaving a show, it puts undue emphasis on that character.

I don't care how widely reported the casting news in. If I've gone out of my way to avoid hearing it, I don't want to see it in a thread that is supposed to be about a specific episode that was filmed before the casting change was made.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #70
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

1. Presupposes that I should agree about the existence of a mistake. I reviewed the spoiler rules today, and for the life of me cannot find my "mistake" in there.
Direct quote from the rules:

"Any spoiler information from other sources, such as articles, websites, webisodes, personal friendships with producers, etc., must also be tagged."

I don't think you can get much clearer than that.
David Platt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #71
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
"Any spoiler information from other sources, such as articles, websites, webisodes, personal friendships with producers, etc., must also be tagged."

I don't think you can get much clearer than that.
If it said "...including information about casting..." it certainly would be clearer whether casting information is considered a spoiler.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #72
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
If it said "...including information about casting..." it certainly would be clearer whether casting information is considered a spoiler.
But this is a pretty silly debate in this context. The casting spoiler Marco posted wasn't "Liam Neeson joins Downton Abbey in role of mysterious stranger" or something, where we'd have no idea what the implication of the casting was to the plot. In this case, it was "existing actor leaving the show", which will have obvious plot implications and is thus a spoiler.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #73
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
In this case, it was "existing actor leaving the show", which will have obvious plot implications and is thus a spoiler.
Not so obvious.

If someone posted that a certain show would not be renewed for another season, it would have plot implications. But does it count as a spoiler? Not obvious either.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #74
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
But this is a pretty silly debate in this context. The casting spoiler Marco posted wasn't "Liam Neeson joins Downton Abbey in role of mysterious stranger" or something, where we'd have no idea what the implication of the casting was to the plot. In this case, it was "existing actor leaving the show", which will have obvious plot implications and is thus a spoiler.
Yes, a silly debate, and your comments are some of the silliest.

None of these casting examples, by their very nature, are part of the content of the episode which we are supposed to be discussing in this thread. So it ought to be intuitively obvious that they don't belong here.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #75
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Yes, a silly debate, and your comments are some of the silliest.

None of these casting examples, by their very nature, are part of the content of the episode which we are supposed to be discussing in this thread. So it ought to be intuitively obvious that they don't belong here.
Come on, murgatroyd, I'm on your side.

It seemed to me that the discussion was less about whether what was posted was allowable in this episode-specific thread, and more about whether it was a spoiler at all. Clearly it was not appropriate to the thread; I was responding to the latter. My gosh.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #76
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Sorry to snap at you, but there's no percentage in feeding the sea-lawyers.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #77
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Not so obvious.

If someone posted that a certain show would not be renewed for another season, it would have plot implications. But does it count as a spoiler? Not obvious either.
I'd call that a spoiler, too.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #78
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

I will admit it was probably luck, but somehow I avoided all casting spoilers regarding anyone not renewing their contract for next year and the related plot points written into this season were complete and total surprises.

Never assume because it was widely reported that everyone has seen the news.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #79
tiams

Quote:
I see my quote CASTING SPOILER unquote from this morning got deleted without my knowledge or any advance warning. No, I am not going to repost it in [spoiler] tags - you want to know, fire up your google machine.

I find this utterly ridiculous. The news was widely reported - I saw it in the Huffington Post. The show has completed season 3 and has not started shooting season 4. I posted no plot details, because I don't have any, BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T BEEN WRITTEN.

What is so hard about following the rules? And why are you arguing that what you did shouldn't be against the rules? Rules are rules.

#1. The rules say no spoilers.
#2 What you posted was clearly a spoiler.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #80
tiams

And if you can't see how this spoils future plot lines, you have no forethought whatsoever.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #81
Doh

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitson77 View Post
At first I thought the writers were morons. But what do you do when the stars force themselves off the show?
I dunno but there has to be a better way than melodrama.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #82
philw1776

The ultimate insult to the departees would have been to simply re-cast the parts and proceed as if nothing happened.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #83
rosieambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
The ultimate insult to the departees would have been to simply re-cast the parts and proceed as if nothing happened.
It's a soap opera so that's what they should do. The role of Matthew Cawley is now being played by "Insert name of actor here".
rosieambles is offline   Reply With Quote