TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Bob Lee

Tivo Controls Lost when Viewing 3D Content

I just purchased a new TV that supports 3D, so naturally I had to give this a shot and see how 3D content looked. The Premiere seems to support the formats used by Comcast; I was able to view content on ESPN3D as well as 3D content served up by Xfinity VoD. However, one weird thing I noticed is that while viewing 3D content the ability to control my Tivo completely goes away. None of the buttons responds, and no Tivo information appears on the screen either (not that I would expect it to appear in 3D). Is this expected behavior? Once I switch my TV to turn 3D off then my Tivo controls return to normal.
Bob Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I haven't seen anything like that. For me, the TiVo-rendered graphics do appear, but are illegible, since the TiVo doesn't know that the display is in 3D mode, and it renders its graphics the same as always, so they come out scrambled. Controls are unaffected.

AFAICT, the TiVo doesn't really know anything about 3D, except the flag that it shows in metadata. It's all up to the TV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
Bob Lee

Doesn't make logical sense to me either, but....I played with it some more and I discovered that the Tivo controls DO work, but only after about 30 seconds or so from the time you start playing 3D content. Very strange indeed. I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the fact that I am routing my HDMI output through my receiver and my receiver only supports an old HDMI (1.1 I think) level. In theory it should still work fine since Comcast's 3D is not "true" 3D.
Bob Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
rvsj

Connect the TiVo directly to your TV and re-test.

I have no problem controlling my TiVo while displaying Comcast's 3D channels other than the fact that the progress bar can be tough to view. If the 3D mode is over and under the progress bar will only be there for one eye. If the 3D mode is side by side close your right eye to see the left side of the bar and then close your left eye to see the right side of the bar.
rvsj is offline   Reply With Quote