TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
kkesler

Can't get Hulu or Netflix to work

Hi all, just set up a couple of Premieres over the past week. Everything so far is great except I cannot get Hulu or Netflix to work. I have spent hours on the phone and online with Tivo with no results.

Netflix just goes to the red screen for while, then says can't connect.

Hulu never gives me a device code on either unit, just says "loading" forever. If I enter my username/pass it never goes past the "waiting" button. The Hulu sample videos do load fine, if that means anything.

Amazon video and Youtube both work flawlessly.

Netflix and Hulu both work fine on our desktops and laptops.

I have a Fortigate 200 firewall running in NAT mode, 6 mb (tested) dsl running of a modem in bridge mode. Policies are set pretty basic, any internal allowed any policy any destination. I have watched the firewall log while Netflix connects, saw multiple successful connections, no denies, no timeouts, yet it still errors out.

It's like something is not going through at the authentication phase or something. I'm at a loss, I think Tivo is as well. Any ideas? Thanks.
kkesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkesler View Post
Hi all, just set up a couple of Premieres over the past week. Everything so far is great except I cannot get Hulu or Netflix to work. I have spent hours on the phone and online with Tivo with no results.

Netflix just goes to the red screen for while, then says can't connect.

Hulu never gives me a device code on either unit, just says "loading" forever. If I enter my username/pass it never goes past the "waiting" button. The Hulu sample videos do load fine, if that means anything.

Amazon video and Youtube both work flawlessly.

Netflix and Hulu both work fine on our desktops and laptops.

I have a Fortigate 200 firewall running in NAT mode, 6 mb (tested) dsl running of a modem in bridge mode. Policies are set pretty basic, any internal allowed any policy any destination. I have watched the firewall log while Netflix connects, saw multiple successful connections, no denies, no timeouts, yet it still errors out.

It's like something is not going through at the authentication phase or something. I'm at a loss, I think Tivo is as well. Any ideas? Thanks.
Have you tried to bypass your firewall to see if it works?
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

It sounds like some ports were blocked by the firewall. But first, try disabling the firewall on the router and see if the Tivo will get through to Netflix and Hulu.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
kkesler

The firewall is doing the PPPoE authentication as the modem is configured in bridge mode, it's also handling all the inbound requests for www, mail, etc. so bypassing it isn't a trivial exercise. Nothing is showing up as blocked in the logs, anyway, as it's wide open on outbound traffic. I also configured a similar policy for inbound traffic the other day for testing, no difference.

Do the hardware devices use the same protocols, ports, etc. that a computer uses for accessing Hulu/Netflix/etc.?
kkesler is offline   Reply With Quote