TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #61
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola111 View Post
When I do a cable channel scan on my tv (a 2013 Samsung) with the line connected directly to the coax jack on the tv, it brings back about 75 channels with normal numbers (4, 5, 10, etc) and no more than 10 channels with .1 channel numbers. I assumed that meant that they're only simulcasting those 10 channels in digital. Is that right?
No, that just means that is how many digital channels are not encrypted (probably just the locals are not encrypted). With a cablecard, it could map all of the analogs.

rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #62
Nola111

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
No, that just means that is how many digital channels are not encrypted (probably just the locals are not encrypted). With a cablecard, it could map all of the analogs.
Hmm ok. Well I went to get a Cablecard from Cox a couple days ago to try with my Roamio to try just that. I told the guy I need a M-Card for a Tivo Roamio, he immediately nodded his head and said yes ok no problem - but then he looked at my account and said "You have basic cable out of the wall - you don't need a cable card unless you have Advanced Digital which is a minimum $60 more per month than what you're paying now. That's not what you want, is it?"

I would maybe have thought he was full of crap and just trying to get my bill up, but he literally tried to talk me out of it.

Nola111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:25 AM   #63
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post

That's not true. ALL the digital channels will show on a scan, but if you try to tune them, only the ones in the clear will show picture and sound, encrypted (the ones you need a cablecard for) will just be blank. Heck, even the pay per views and on demand that people are watching in your neighborhood will show when you do a scan.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:30 AM   #64
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola111 View Post

Hmm ok. Well I went to get a Cablecard from Cox a couple days ago to try with my Roamio to try just that. I told the guy I need a M-Card for a Tivo Roamio, he immediately nodded his head and said yes ok no problem - but then he looked at my account and said "You have basic cable out of the wall - you don't need a cable card unless you have Advanced Digital which is a minimum $60 more per month than what you're paying now. That's not what you want, is it?"

I would maybe have thought he was full of crap and just trying to get my bill up, but he literally tried to talk me out of it.
Tell him that while what he says is pretty much true, in your case your TiVo won't map the channels to their correct position in the guide, making your TiVo worthless as a DVR and you'd have to manually schedule all your recordings. A tivo needs a cablecard to channel map correctly, no matter what your package is. That's what I always did and it worked like a charm.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #65
Nola111

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Tell him that while what he says is pretty much true, in your case your TiVo won't map the channels to their correct position in the guide, making your TiVo worthless as a DVR and you'd have to manually schedule all your recordings. A tivo needs a cablecard to channel map correctly, no matter what your package is. That's what I always did and it worked like a charm.
Thanks HarperVision. Unfortunately, I'd already sent the Roamio back by the time I read your post I have a Premiere on the way to me and I'll just use that for my analog cable channels which is really all I need. Thanks.

Nola111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #66
traveler100

I'm just starting up my Roamio basic having upgraded from my Non-cable card Series II TiVo. Irritated that my cable company will pry another $2 from my pocket for their card. I've read this thread top to bottom hoping that your knowledge would enlighten me about operation without the card. I've done the manual scan, Tivo acknowledged some 900 channels. I have basic extended service and all channels are recognized by TiVo, only the QAM tuner channels are viewable. Ironically all channels show in the TiVo guide but only the encrypted channels show the individual channels programming, but they are not viewable or recordable. All QAM channels are recordable but without programming information TiVo is of little value. I assume the guide information shown for the encrypted channels is pulled from the area code and service provider info input on TiVo start-up. Unless I'm able to find a black market M-Card tied to my service provider I'll be headed to their office and let them pry two more bucks/month from my back pocket. If I've missed something here guys help me out. I'm not cheap, but I am frugal.

traveler100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #67
keke1987

Cable Card & Premier 4 TiVo

Question. I have the Premier 4 and WOW cable. Do I have to have the cable card in order for it to work?

keke1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #68
shfawaz

I didn't need one.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #69
Nrk7001

First time poster here. I just canceled my Cox TV service but have kept Internet. I was originally going to try to run OTA channels but noticed that we get quit a bit of channels from the wall to my TV. It's unclear on this thread, but it seems like TiVo really needs a cablecard to work even if I'm getting channels from the wall. Does anyone know if cable company's will provide a cablecard (for a fee) without actual TV service to get the wall channels to my TiVo? I am a customer (pay for top tier Internet) but unsure if they will require a TV subscription. I'm really only interested in the basic channels form the wall and OTA is a problem because my reception is terrible as my media rack for the house is in a basement. I bought a Romaio Plus but willing to take it back if there is a better model you recommend.

Nrk7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #70
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrk7001 View Post
First time poster here. I just canceled my Cox TV service but have kept Internet. I was originally going to try to run OTA channels but noticed that we get quit a bit of channels from the wall to my TV. It's unclear on this thread, but it seems like TiVo really needs a cablecard to work even if I'm getting channels from the wall. Does anyone know if cable company's will provide a cablecard (for a fee) without actual TV service to get the wall channels to my TiVo? I am a customer (pay for top tier Internet) but unsure if they will require a TV subscription. I'm really only interested in the basic channels form the wall and OTA is a problem because my reception is terrible as my media rack for the house is in a basement. I bought a Romaio Plus but willing to take it back if there is a better model you recommend.
The chance of you getting a cable card and having it paired without TV service is less than world peace.

A TiVo will work on clear QAM without a cable card, but it's not pretty. Do a channel scan, write down the channels, compare it to your TV. Then manually enter that channel on the remote. If it works, you are beginning to see the problem without a cable card. You can go through your channel list and make those channels favorites, then display the guide with just favorites. You might even be able to make manual recordings.

I have a Premiere without a cable card and one clear QAM channel. I also have a Roamio with a cable card and HD service. I use the Premiere as a storage location.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #71
UCLABB

Quote:
I don't get this. When did you buy the Roamio Plus? Recently or before you canceled TV? If you bought it a while ago, then you should have a cable card in it already. If you just bought it, why did you buy it? It doesn't work with OTA.

I would suggest that you not tell Cox that you are stealing their TV feed and would like to get a cable card so that you can not only steal it, you can record it.

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #72
HarperVision

Quote:
What equipment manufacturer does your headened use at Cox? If it's Cisco/Scientific Atlanta, then I have a few Cablecards that should work for simple mapping of your channels for guide data purposes. It won't decrypt any pay channels or give you anything free, but it will map all the clear QAM ones to their proper channel assignments.

Let me know and I can get one out to you mid Aug when I return.

Or if you need it sooner or you're a Motorola/Arris headened look on eBay. They sell for a couple bucks there.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #73
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
The chance of you getting a cable card and having it paired without TV service is less than world peace.

A TiVo will work on clear QAM without a cable card, but it's not pretty. Do a channel scan, write down the channels, compare it to your TV. Then manually enter that channel on the remote. If it works, you are beginning to see the problem without a cable card. You can go through your channel list and make those channels favorites, then display the guide with just favorites. You might even be able to make manual recordings.

I have a Premiere without a cable card and one clear QAM channel. I also have a Roamio with a cable card and HD service. I use the Premiere as a storage location.
A cableCARD of the same mfr/flavor as the head end that's not paired will get the majority of unencrypted/protected channels without a subscription, we've had the debate here over the years as to the legality of how users get those CableCARDs but in general they will do the channel mapping for the lower tier channels in a non-subscribed scenario.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #74
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
A cableCARD of the same mfr/flavor as the head end that's not paired will get the majority of unencrypted/protected channels without a subscription, we've had the debate here over the years as to the legality of how users get those CableCARDs but in general they will do the channel mapping for the lower tier channels in a non-subscribed scenario.
It'll do channel mapping for ANY clear QAM in any tier, not just lower ones. Even SDV if someone in your neighborhood/node is watching the same channel.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #75
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
It'll do channel mapping for ANY clear QAM in any tier, not just lower ones. Even SDV if someone in your neighborhood/node is watching the same channel.
I have a hard time believing that it could correctly map the SDV channels. I thought that channel map was only assigned when you tried to view the channel.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #76
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
I have a hard time believing that it could correctly map the SDV channels. I thought that channel map was only assigned when you tried to view the channel.
If you have SDV then the TA would handle the mapping instead of the CableCARD, that's popped up in more than a few threads too, but the OP isn't subscribed to any tier so as long as they have some QAM channels on the wire the "aquired" CableCARD should map.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #77
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
First time poster here.
Here you go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-M-c...item419a6ab59d
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scientific-A...item3379a83cfc

Plenty others on eBay.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote