TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > Forum Operations Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
dthmj
Hinky

Increase in spam!

Seems there has been a huge increase in the amount of spam on the forums here lately. I used to see it once a month or so (I'm sure it was more often) - but now I'm seeing it multiple times a day.

I had a forum once that had a lot of spam and turned on a feature that you had to answer a question when you registered - not sure if this board has that or not - but maybe you can look into something else to combat spam.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Gaming Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Personal Blog
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmj View Post
Seems there has been a huge increase in the amount of spam on the forums here lately. I used to see it once a month or so (I'm sure it was more often) - but now I'm seeing it multiple times a day.
More like 50ish a day, but that's not new.
Mike Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
dthmj
Hinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
More like 50ish a day, but that's not new.
I knew it was much more - that's just what I see with the handful of threads I look at.

But I've noticed an increase in the past month - has it not? Maybe I'm just reading more threads now

- Gaming Blog

- Personal Blog
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

No increase in the last month, but it increased a bit during the summer and stayed there.
Mike Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

We've seen a huge increase in spam over on the VideoReDo forums too. The bots must be pushing extra hard for the holiday season. I changed from a captcha to a question and answer system for human verification and it seems to have staved off the problem a bit.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmj View Post
I knew it was much more - that's just what I see with the handful of threads I look at.

But I've noticed an increase in the past month - has it not? Maybe I'm just reading more threads now
Yeah I seem to get at least 5 threads a day bumped with spam posts. Maybe they were just posting in other threads since I have never seen it before like this.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I changed from a captcha to a question and answer system for human verification and it seems to have staved off the problem a bit.
Switching to a Q&A verification system has made a world of difference on the forum I administer. Spammers have completely disappeared since making that switch. It's working well, for now at least.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote