TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #301
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

I have a feeling the show is asking for trouble; either they have to use the save, or somehow have a week where nobody gets voted off, but if they use the bombing as an excuse (either "Well, maybe she was affected by what happened on Monday, so we'll use the save on her" or "Out of respect for the people of Boston and concern for the singers, as well as the people who were too distracted by the events to vote, we're giving the girls a pass this week", or even have a week dedicated to the victims where nobody gets voted off), people will be pointing out that they used the bombing as an excuse to get out of a scheduling predicament.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #302
Fahtrim

If anyone actually thinks that Carrie Underwood is "just an average" vocalist, then all I can say is the hate for country music must be strong in them. She is way above average and better than almost all singers. Her live versions are better than studio, not many artists can do that.

Beyond that, Candace was awesome last week, Kree is awesome, Amber is way overhyped in my opinion.
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #303
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
No, it definitely isn't. There is no Nicki Minaj in country.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #304
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
If anyone actually thinks that Carrie Underwood is "just an average" vocalist, then all I can say is the hate for country music must be strong in them. She is way above average and better than almost all singers. Her live versions are better than studio, not many artists can do that.

:raises hand: Before I have my head on a spike I want to say this is only my opinion and if someone else has a different opinion they are entitled to have one.

That said, I don't get the Carrie Underwood worship. She's all right, but there are 1,000 others that sound just like her. There is really nothing to differentiate her from any other female country music singer. But I think that's why I don't like country. It's all cookie cutter and every one of them sound exactly like the other (male and female).

Yet, I don't think it's all just my dislike of country music. I watched some tv show she did with Steven Tyler and she sang with him on several Aerosmith songs and she did a fair job of it I suppose, but I wouldn't want to hear her sing them again.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #305
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
Yet, I don't think it's all just my dislike of country music. I watched some tv show she did with Steven Tyler and she sang with him on several Aerosmith songs and she did a fair job of it I suppose, but I wouldn't want to hear her sing them again.
In my case, I just like her. She seems like a class act with a pleasant voice but I'm not interested in paying for her recordings or shows.

I did enjoy her on the Grand Ole Opry. Thought she was remarkable, especially when she sang with Randy Travis. Her albums do nothing for me, however, but I do like her voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvTwFl6OIAk

If her typical sound was more traditional I might change my mind about her albums. It's all too overproduced for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #306
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Oh and this was a very touching music video:
LraOiHUltak

My blog:
Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #307
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I have only been watching Idol for a few years, but in the time that I have been watching there has not been a top 5 that came close to matching these 5 ladies.

Tonight had a lot of so-so performances, especially in the first half, but other than Janelle's misguided choice of a barely known Dolly Parton song the other women were STELLAR in the second half.

I still love Candace and Kree... BUT

Amber, oh my god!! I so absolutely loved that final performance! The arrangement and instrumentation were gorgeous and she sung the hell out of it. I did something I only do to a few performances every year and that was immediately rewind it and watch it again.

The bottom line tomorrow should be that they should use the save on probably everyone except Janelle but they may even use it for her.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #308
SNJpage1

I agree something wasn't right tonight. Didn't really like most of the choices in songs. Ive noticed that they have been saving the best singer of the night to be on last. I guess they figure that out from the Rehearsals
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #309
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

No, the order is selected by random ballot. If it wasn't, the contestants could claim favoritism - and rightly so!

I think Jannelle goes tonight. Not sure if the save is still available as I thought is went away when it was down to the top five.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #310
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
I think Jannelle goes tonight. Not sure if the save is still available as I thought is went away when it was down to the top five.
If it was, then it wouldn't be the first time that they changed the rules concerning the save...and see here, here, here, and here as to why I think that either they have to use the save (most likely tonight) or come up with an "Idol Gives Back" week where nobody goes home (and I wouldn't be surprised if, if they do this, that it's a benefit for Boston).
Old 04-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #311
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I doubt they'd do an IGB Boston tribute unless its a "music of Boston" theme. I say that because more people died in the Texas explosion recently and it would seem like they were picking and choosing between overlapping tragedies.

My blog:
Old 04-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #312
Cainebj

I think I have to take back what I said about Amber earlier. I realized this week where she really shines is in classic torchsong fare - My Funny Valentine and this week's Streisand song. She should stick with that and pass on the r&b vocal gymnastic stuff.

Angie finally had some emotion and Candice was great as always.

I thought Kree was unusually weak.

And Janelle - well how bout that? the voters got it right.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #313
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I actually wasn't overly impressed with Angie's version of "I'll Stand By You".

Anyone want to guess how the 2-2 split was on the save. I would guess Mariah and Keith were the Yes votes with Randy and Nicki asthe No votes.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #314
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Anyone want to guess how the 2-2 split was on the save. I would guess Mariah and Keith were the Yes votes with Randy and Nicki asthe No votes.
That would make sense - my TiVo cut off before she finished singing. (my padding is on Glee and for some odd reason it didn't record last night).

I'm glad they didn't save her - she is the weakest of the 5 in a strong pack - I'm not sure the voters would have gotten it right again.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #315
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
No, the order is selected by random ballot. If it wasn't, the contestants could claim favoritism - and rightly so!
Do you have a source for that? I've never once heard that, and I read a lot of stuff about the show.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #316
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I always thought the order was a combination of the impact they made in dress rehearsal (start the show strong and finish stronger) and intended producer manipulation (bury the unwanted in the middle).

Of course it is favoritism- it's Idol!
The "pimp spot" is coveted by all and is (IMO) by no means determined by a random draw.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #317
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I so cheered on Jimmy tonight!!!!

I agreed that Amber's performance of McCarthur Park was a little disjointed and not that great. Jimmy said Candice was better than Amber in the second round, he even got Nicki to agree and his great response was "Then say it".

My response was "Then why did Amber receive a standing ovation and Candice did not?"

This could come back to actually hurt Amber as I thought it was really tacky to talk about Amber's performance during Candice's time. It could be that Candice gets sympathy votes or the voters will stick with Angie and Kree who managed to avoid the drama of that situation.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #318
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

I wonder what the "surprise twist" is that will be announced tomorrow. Wonder if it's something interesting or just a stupid tease.

I don't even know who I want to go home; there's a lot of talent in this bunch.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #319
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Is it really a one-hit wonder if someone (like Richard Harris????) sings a particular song, then it goes on to become a hit for someone that has many other hits? Weren't three of the four at least like that? Somehow that just didn't seem right to me.

I kind of dislike how they take just four singers and string it out to an entire two-hour show, but I really liked the children's hospital visit footage.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #320
Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
I wonder what the "surprise twist" is that will be announced tomorrow. Wonder if it's something interesting or just a stupid tease.

I don't even know who I want to go home; there's a lot of talent in this bunch.
I figured it would be something to do with the children's hospital and nobody goes home.
Roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #321
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

It's almost definite (in my mind) that no one is going home this week. What they'll probably do is add the scores from this week to those from next week, and the combined lowest score will go home next week.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #322
rjay717

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
Is it really a one-hit wonder if someone (like Richard Harris????) sings a particular song, then it goes on to become a hit for someone that has many other hits? Weren't three of the four at least like that? Somehow that just didn't seem right to me.
I said the exact same thing to my wife last night. It kind of violates the spirit of the theme.
rjay717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #323
buckeye1010
Very Special Member

They announced the finale will be 16 May. So it looks like there will be a week where no one goes home, right?
Old 04-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #324
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

*cough*

LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #325
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I don't think anyone was surprised by that outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
This could come back to actually hurt Amber as I thought it was really tacky to talk about Amber's performance during Candice's time. It could be that Candice gets sympathy votes or the voters will stick with Angie and Kree who managed to avoid the drama of that situation.
I really do believe that situation with the judges hurt Amber quite a bit. Now she and Candace will have to knock it out of the park next week. Since they are starting at a deficit right out of the gate next week one of them will be going home.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #326
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Pardon the slippage of my memory, but in the past, when the Judges' Save had been used, weren't there TWO eliminations the following week? So over the course of the two week period (save week and post-save week) there were still two people gone anyway?

Maybe I'm not remembering that right, but in that frame of mind, that explanation just seemed squishy to me. Sure, it acomplishes their goal if there is only one elimination last week, bit it just didn't sift through my brain right. :shrugs:
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #327
Cainebj

Quote:
Pardon the slippage of my memory, but in the past, when the Judges' Save had been used, weren't there TWO eliminations the following week?
No - you are right - they did do that.

I do wonder who would have gone home last night though.

Angie was my favorite since she did her original song at the piano and then she started to slip pretty badly.
I'm kinda hoping she continues this streak and wins.

I have thought her biggest competition was Candice and if she (Candice) had gone home last night this no one goes home really could effect the final outcome.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #328
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I have thought her biggest competition was Candice and if she (Candice) had gone home last night this no one goes home really could effect the final outcome.
Don't underestimate Kree. If she can get the country vote behind her then she has a very good chance at winning.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #329
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Pardon the slippage of my memory, but in the past, when the Judges' Save had been used, weren't there TWO eliminations the following week? So over the course of the two week period (save week and post-save week) there were still two people gone anyway?
Originally, yes, but last year, someone was disqualified after the finals started and they didn't bring anybody back to replace him, so they only eliminated one after the save.

What surprised me was, Ryan gave what was pretty much the actual reason for the "save" (they had scheduled the show based on the assumption that the save would be used), rather than invent something ("Well, because the Boston tragedy might have affected the voting..."). Remember, the show still has never mentioned on the air that not everybody who attends an audition ends up singing in front of the judges.

But now that they have mentioned the "built-in free pass", are they going to bring it up next season once the save opportunities begin? It seems to me that this becomes something to consider when deciding whether or not to use the save.