TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #31
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I'm sorry but your lack of understanding how the Tivo process with subscriptions and service work is not Tivo's problem
No, apparently it is ours. We have to "listen" to it.

Quote:
nor would an "Attorney General" have anything to do with it. Tivo's pricing is very well published and on the boxes and retailers, your misunderstanding it is not their problem, plenty of folks are fine with it.
No kidding. Not only are their practices 100% legal in every respect, they are generally speaking far more consumer friendly than most.

Quote:
If you dig a bit deeper it should be clear that purchasing the Lifetime service is the way to go since it pays for itself in 3 years and the boxes last significantly longer than that.
Actually, it's usually less than that, depending upon how one counts. The actual break-even is really between 18 and 24 months, especially if one counts the resale value. Three years is worst case.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #32
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Oh, give me a break. First of all, that is the cost for a Premiere, which TiVo is selling much further below cost than they did the other series. Right now the MSD monthly charge for an S3 is $9.95. More to the point is the fact you have spent one whole helluva lot more on your HTPCs than $13 a month, and the result is having a whole lot of hardware on your hands that would not have done me one single, solitary bit of good until I recently switched CATV providers.
My three HTPCs cost me exactly $11.97 per month, which is the cost to rent three cablecards from FIOS. They have far more functionality than a Tivo so if you consider the ability to play DVDs and Blu-Rays vs. standalone players, they're cost effective compared to a Tivo. There's no set price for a HTPC because you can build them to suit your tastes and needs, so the cost is whatever you want to put into it. I've actually built fully functional HTPCs for less than $200. With a Tivo you buy a box, rent a cablecard, and then either pay a monthly fee or cough up the cash for a lifetime subscription. HTPCs come with lifetime automatically, or at least as long as guide data is still available.

FWIW, I've spent far more on Tivos over the years than I ever have on HTPCs. If Tivo is what you want then I'm not going to argue. Everyone uses whatever suits their needs. It's a win-win for everyone. Just don't try debating the cost vs. functionality because Tivo loses every time. Then again, everyone doesn't need the same functions so a Tivo may be all that is required.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote