TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #31
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I was 10 years old when it happened, so thinking about the Russians being behind it wasn't something that would have occured to me. It was so long ago, I can't even recall how this was covered and what was suggested. But since they captured Hinkley right away, I am pretty sure most everyone knew it was just one lone nut. Of course, this was before teh advent of the internet and multiple cable news outlets, so getting out a conspiracy story would have been a lot harder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I was 10 years old when it happened, so thinking about the Russians being behind it wasn't something that would have occured to me. It was so long ago, I can't even recall how this was covered and what was suggested. But since they captured Hinkley right away, I am pretty sure most everyone knew it was just one lone nut. Of course, this was before teh advent of the internet and multiple cable news outlets, so getting out a conspiracy story would have been a lot harder.
I wonder why there are such widespread conspiracy theories about Oswald and Sirhan Sirhan, but none about Hinkley.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #33
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I wonder why there are such widespread conspiracy theories about Oswald and Sirhan Sirhan, but none about Hinkley.
Ummmm...Oswald was a former US Marine that went into the US Embassy in Moscow and renounced his US citizenship, came home with a Russian wife, visited the Soviet Embassy in Mexico City, and was known for handing out communist leaflets in Dallas?

Sirhan is a Palestinian.

The buzz was that the OKC bombing was mooslim terrists with no evidence whatsoever.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 02-26-2013 at 06:08 PM.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #34
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Ummmm...Oswald was a a former US Marine that went into the US Embassy in Moscow and renounced his US citizenship, came home with a Russian wife, visited the Soviet Embassy in Mexico City, and was known for handing out communist leaflets in Dallas?

Sirhan is a Palestinian.

The buzz was that the OKC bombing was mooslim terrists with no evidence whatsoever.
All you did was list reasons to support the wild conspiracy theories regarding Oswald and Sirhan Sirhan. That doesn't explain why people don't go wild with theories about Hinkley also. If Sirhan was brainwashed, Hinkley could have been also. The Hinkley family had financial ties to Reagan's rivals, the Bush family.

I'm just wondering what the difference is. Maybe it is simply because Reagan survived so people aren't as rabid about the incident. Or maybe there is something special about Kennedys which arouses conspiracy theorists that Reagan just didn't have.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #35
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

We tend to forget that, like with Gabby Giffords, James Brady was almost killed by a shot to the head, and was damaged for life. He had a very painful rehab.

Just yesterday Hinkley asked to be allowed to spend more time at home.

As I said the time, had it been in about any other country Hinkley would have been executed days later.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #36
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
We tend to forget that, like with Gabby Giffords, James Brady was almost killed by a shot to the head, and was damaged for life. He had a very painful rehab.

Just yesterday Hinkley asked to be allowed to spend more time at home.

As I said the time, had it been in about any other country Hinkley would have been executed days later.
Yea, it's hard to believe that a man who attempted to kill the POTUS wasn't even sent to prison.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #37
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
All you did was list reasons to support the wild conspiracy theories regarding Oswald and Sirhan Sirhan. That doesn't explain why people don't go wild with theories about Hinkley also. If Sirhan was brainwashed, Hinkley could have been also. The Hinkley family had financial ties to Reagan's rivals, the Bush family.

I'm just wondering what the difference is. Maybe it is simply because Reagan survived so people aren't as rabid about the incident. Or maybe there is something special about Kennedys which arouses conspiracy theorists that Reagan just didn't have.
I think it's all of the above. I also think that things about Hinkley came out pretty quickly that pretty much proved he was a nutcase. I'm sure if it happened today, there would be plenty of tin foil hat theories out there.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #38
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
Just killed the season pass, the series was just too dark for me.

I don't get these comments about how dark this is....I don't see that at all. Of course, I lived through this time period (in my early 30s), so maybe that makes a difference.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #39
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Maybe they mean the cinematography..?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #40
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Maybe they mean the cinematography..?

This! Still a major complaint for me in this show. Dark, dull, low contrast. Maybe they need that effect to help us believe this is from WAY BACK in the 1980's?
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #41
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

With global warming, the world is a much brighter place today.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #42
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
This! Still a major complaint for me in this show. Dark, dull, low contrast. Maybe they need that effect to help us believe this is from WAY BACK in the 1980's?
Again...I don't see this as being dark at all (cinematography or mood). And I don't run my Panny plasma hot either...looks fine to me.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #43
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Again...I don't see this as being dark at all (cinematography or mood). And I don't run my Panny plasma hot either...looks fine to me.
Interesting, this is only program among the current bunch I've been watching where this effect seems noticeable. Other programs look just fine. I've used calibration DVD to adjust my settings, then bumped brightness/contrast just a tad above what "they" claim is optimal.

Sharp Aquos LCD
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #44
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Maybe I need to get my eyes checked....
Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #45
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

I wonder if they're shooting with actual film. That effect could definitely be created by the film type.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #46
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

It definitely looks more drab and "old" to me, but I have a decent, large screen and I have no problem seeing everything.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #47
stellie93

As to the other kind of dark--it is weird to be rooting for the KGB agents, but I am. They are definitely your typical cold blooded killer agents and they are the bad guys. Why don't I root for John Boy and the neighbor?

The husband does show a softer side sometimes, so maybe he will eventually push his idea of defecting.

It's a stretch the stuff they are able to do without the kids being suspicious. I wonder how they did it when the kids were little and couldn't be left alone? Maybe they had a KGB nanny.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #48
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
It's a stretch the stuff they are able to do without the kids being suspicious. I wonder how they did it when the kids were little and couldn't be left alone? Maybe they had a KGB nanny.
I'm guessing the mom did less active fieldwork then....which actually goes a long way toward explaining her enthusiasm for her job now.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote