TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #61
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Tanner View Post
Fair enough, but 5 minutes on this forum (which is at the top of google results a lot of the time) gives one a lot of, "this, that, and the other is coming with the next update we are almost sure of it"

That was my experience anyways, coupled with the amazon icon on the box and the "oh this is coming in the next update " I also heard from the store made me decide on a tivo roamio pro because it was better than comcast dvr package but also for what was all over the store and this forum for just around the corner updates.
Speculation by users is fun, not fact. The only real promised item that is late, very late, is android streaming and to a lesser extent remote iphone streaming. Everything else is just for the enjoyment of it.

There is no doubt tivo is better than a comcast dvr! Those are pain.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #62
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
And a TiVo Mega holding 47,529,621 un-tagged shows in a giant jumbled bag will be useful how?
That was my complaint when I went from a 2TB drive with the ELite to a 3TB drive with the Roamio Pro. The My Shows list was really becoming more difficult to look through. I could not imagine 24 TB of shows. If they would introduce profiles it would go a long ways to help with the organization of the shows.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #63
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I think that's part of the reason TiVo implemented the 2-column thing in the My Shows screen. The left part you can filter out just TV show, just movies, just kids shows, etc. As part of being able to show less stuff without actually having to implement a complex mechanism to filter.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #64

If you participate in the monthly TiVo surveys you can see that it's pretty clear that they are working toward some sort of tagging feature.

It could easily be implemented in a way that was completely invisible to people who have no interest. Just make it 100% optional. Have a setting box somewhere to setup custom tags... and then when creating a season pass, have an option where if you want too, you can assign one of these tags.

Find the whole thing confusing? Great, it won't really effect you at all. Just ignore it.

It's not hard to imagine a simple way to implement it.

At first I was excited for the 2-column view, but I found myself never using it and eventually just turned it off. If I could bring it back, but have it filter by tags, that would be incredible. As it is now, it's pretty useless for me.
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #65
meoge

We haven't made the jump to Tivo yet, but when we do I really hope they have some kind of tagging/profile scheme in place. We currently use RecordedTVHD on our Windows Media Center and it works pretty well. There are a few things that could be improved, but I'd never want to go back to just one big list of shows. We have a profile for each family member.
meoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #66
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
If you participate in the monthly TiVo surveys you can see that it's pretty clear that they are working toward some sort of tagging feature.

It could easily be implemented in a way that was completely invisible to people who have no interest. Just make it 100% optional. Have a setting box somewhere to setup custom tags... and then when creating a season pass, have an option where if you want too, you can assign one of these tags.

Find the whole thing confusing? Great, it won't really effect you at all. Just ignore it.

It's not hard to imagine a simple way to implement it.

At first I was excited for the 2-column view, but I found myself never using it and eventually just turned it off. If I could bring it back, but have it filter by tags, that would be incredible. As it is now, it's pretty useless for me.
I would imagine tagging is especially useful on the Mega. Maybe this is the start of a cloud Tivo.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #67
JWhites

Problems are, what if the tagging feature is not optional and invisible and it screws up the entire experience for everyone including those who couldn't care less for profiles and tagging? The other problem is how accurate would the tags be and who manages it? I mean Tribune Media has been known to not be accurate with their program descriptions let alone their categories, and who knows if TiVo would want to do it in house or just outsource it.

Last edited by JWhites : 09-16-2014 at 10:37 PM.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #68
meoge

With RecordedTVHD you add a show to one or multiple profiles and every instance of that show is listed under that profile(s) including future recordings. You are always in control and not dependent on the shows having any special metadata. You can even delete (really just hiding it) a show from one profile while it's still remains in the others. The last person to delete the show actually deletes it.
meoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #69
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
And a TiVo Mega holding 47,529,621 un-tagged shows in a giant jumbled bag will be useful how?
A folder per show isn't "un-tagged"
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:30 PM   #70
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
A folder per show isn't "un-tagged"
I totally agree. I mean yes I can definitely imagine having that many shows if they're not in folders could be a problem obviously, however if they are all in folders it's much easier to manage and scrolling through would just be as simple as using the channel up and down buttons, plus as others have mentioned, the implementation of the My Shows left column is very helpful in this situation.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #71
petesweeps

thanks for replying.
petesweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:32 PM   #72
mchief
Morey

Anyone figured out how to set up a Season Pass 1 or 2 months out - not wishlist.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:48 PM   #73
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief View Post
Anyone figured out how to set up a Season Pass 1 or 2 months out - not wishlist.
use search (or categories) to find a new fall show, select, and setting an sp will be an option.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #74
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
use search (or categories) to find a new fall show, select, and setting an sp will be an option.
A cool new feature is being able to set the SP for "Any channel"
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #75
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
Yep. That's already come on handy a few times.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #76
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
I tried that last night for NFL football and when I checked the upcoming shows on various channels, it didn't include them all. Any idea why?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote