TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
jfharrison

Channel signal strength varies a lot?

I have digital cable, RG6 from powered splitter, 54-1000 mhz freq.
It is a rocketfish that is replacing a Dropamp that croaked just outside of it's warranty period.

Using Settings -> Channels -> Signal Strength - Cable

On channels up to around mid 60's I get in the 80's to 90's.
Channel 69, on which I watch Daily Show & Colbert, it is low 60's and more than expected pixelation.
Channel 70 is up in the high 80's & 90's.

I could understand it better if all channels above a certain range were lower, but for channel 69 to stand out as lower? What could that be caused by?

This signal strength reading was taken with nothing else using the cable except an internet modem.

Thanks, Jon
jfharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfharrison View Post
I have digital cable, RG6 from powered splitter, 54-1000 mhz freq.
It is a rocketfish that is replacing a Dropamp that croaked just outside of it's warranty period.

Using Settings -> Channels -> Signal Strength - Cable

On channels up to around mid 60's I get in the 80's to 90's.
Channel 69, on which I watch Daily Show & Colbert, it is low 60's and more than expected pixelation.
Channel 70 is up in the high 80's & 90's.

I could understand it better if all channels above a certain range were lower, but for channel 69 to stand out as lower? What could that be caused by?

This signal strength reading was taken with nothing else using the cable except an internet modem.

Thanks, Jon
Call your cable provider. There may be a bad feed on that channel.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
jfharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Call your cable provider. There may be a bad feed on that channel.
Thanks, that would be Charter Cable.
I think I'd rather have a root canal than talk to them but I'll see what they say.

jon
Old 08-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfharrison View Post
Thanks, that would be Charter Cable.
I think I'd rather have a root canal than talk to them but I'll see what they say.

jon
I agree, but if you can get to an engineering person they tend to take picture quality personally. Some times an email, especially to Corporate, gets action.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
jfharrison

Things seem to be working better now, I'll have to wait until next week and see if more viewers on the service impact my current conditions.

It turns out that I have a mtr700 tuning adapter that was accidentally unplugged & hidden behind the tivo. My system is a Premier XL w/ cable card & analog CRT tv. So my system has been operating with a cable card and no tuning adapter. I really am not sure why I need a tuning adapter but maybe it allows me to receive HD channels on my analog tv?

Now that I have the tuning adapter turned on again, that signal strength that I was using is no longer an available option so I cannot determine if the channels that previously had lower signal strength have changed. Maybe the tuning adapter being unplugged was my problem.

Jon