TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
andrews777

Copying Shows to New Roamio

I have seen a few threads where people have talked about transferring all their existing shows to the Roamio. Is that possible in bulk in any fashion? I don't really want to go show by show and move things, as that would take a lot of navigation just to get going. Can I at least transfer whole folders over at a time? Will it keep the show information?

Roamio, 3 Minis
andrews777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
lpwcomp

There is no way to do a bulk transfer and keep most of the information. In addition, the only bulk transfer method of which I am aware requires moving them through a computer.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm doing it the manual way via MRV. From my Elite to my Roaio is really fast. I queued up like 60 hour long shows last night before I went to bed and they were done by morning. Took about 15 minutes to click all the buttons to get them queued, but the Roamio is fast so there isn't a lot of waiting.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm doing it the manual way via MRV. From my Elite to my Roaio is really fast. I queued up like 60 hour long shows last night before I went to bed and they were done by morning. Took about 15 minutes to click all the buttons to get them queued, but the Roamio is fast so there isn't a lot of waiting.
Yeah, the transferring is fast, but the act of going to each and every program to manually add it to the queue is long and tedious. It easily took me an hour to queue up everything I wanted to transfer. I wish they had implemented an option to transfer an entire folder instead of play an entire folder, which I doubt gets used very often.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Transferring an entire folder would be nice. They could even put it as one of those menu options along the bottom.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
generaltso

Quote:
Transferring an entire folder would be nice. They could even put it as one of those menu options along the bottom.
Doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to add, but I'm not a programmer. I have submitted it as a feature request a couple times over the years.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

It probably wouldn't be hard to add, but it might be really slow so they might not want to do it because it would hinder the user experience. Think about it, it takes at least a few second per show to queue now. So if you did it as sort of a macro it could take a couple minutes to queue up a folder with an entire season of shows in it. That's a long time to display a spinning circle logo and not expect the user to get impatient.

To bad there isn't a function for this in the MindRPC protocol. Would be easy for someone to add to a program like kmttg.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
generaltso

I hear ya. Maybe enabling folder transfers in some backdoor way would be a good compromise. Then the general public wouldn't suffer if it wasn't a good experience, but those wanting to do it would be able to. Either way, I can't imagine it would take longer than re-ordering season passes used to!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

They should add a "Move To New TiVo" option that would move all your shows, thumb ratings, SPs, Wish Lists, etc... to a new box. I think if they "move" the recordings, rather then copying them, they could even bypass the copy protection bit on premium channels.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
generaltso

Good call. A simple migration path might even lead to more sales of new units.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
sfm

Quote:
It probably wouldn't be hard to add, but it might be really slow so they might not want to do it because it would hinder the user experience. Think about it, it takes at least a few second per show to queue now. So if you did it as sort of a macro it could take a couple minutes to queue up a folder with an entire season of shows in it. That's a long time to display a spinning circle logo and not expect the user to get impatient.

To bad there isn't a function for this in the MindRPC protocol. Would be easy for someone to add to a program like kmttg.
Let me tell ya... after performing 200+ * X amount of clicks it took to queue up the 200+ shows to transfer from the XL4 to the Roamio I would happily wait 200+ seconds it may have taken to wait for a "Transfer all" request inside each group to queue all the items in the group!
sfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
DaveDFW

Quote:
They should add a "Move To New TiVo" option that would move all your shows, thumb ratings, SPs, Wish Lists, etc...
How nice would that be?
DaveDFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
lpwcomp

You're not supposed to replace your TiVos, just add to them.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
thenightfly42
Seņor Senior, Jr.

Quote:
They should add a "Move To New TiVo" option that would move all your shows, thumb ratings, SPs, Wish Lists, etc... to a new box. I think if they "move" the recordings, rather then copying them, they could even bypass the copy protection bit on premium channels.
Another thing that should be moved is your Channels I Receive list.
thenightfly42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm View Post
Let me tell ya... after performing 200+ * X amount of clicks it took to queue up the 200+ shows to transfer from the XL4 to the Roamio I would happily wait 200+ seconds it may have taken to wait for a "Transfer all" request inside each group to queue all the items in the group!
200?!?!

And I was complaining about transferring a few dozen recordings.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

I had ~140 shows I moved. Didn't queue them all at once though. I did about 60 last night, then the remaining ones in two chucks over the course of today.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
Devx

For some of us, it's even worse than that. My Pro is already over 50%full with all of the transfers from the Elite. Since the UI and the transfers are fast, it wasn't so bad. A group transfer option would have been great but I didn't mind since it's not something I plan to do often. Transferring from the HD to the Elite so I can get rid of it has been torture though. I still haven't queued everything up because it is slow enough to keep up with. Transferring for 2.5 days and still going...
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

I just started 47more from my Premiere. I had offloaded a couple of secondary SPs to it because at one point my Elite was getting full. Now I'm pulling them back where I'll actually remember to watch them.