TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
cmarti02

Moving Tivo Desktop to New PC

What's the proper process for installing Tivo Desktop plus on a new PC.

I installed 2.8.3 on an HP Win7 laptop wirelessly and 'connected' it to my account. It said that it had been attached to my old PC and would I like to replace it with the new one, I did that. But, my new install can't see either of my Tivo's (series 2's, wireless). Old install (Dell XP laptop hardwired) still works, laptop can see Tivo's and Tivo's can see old XP machine. Do I have to uninstall Desktop from old machine? Will that 'fix' it? Or, are the other steps that I need to do? hard reboot everything? Anything else?

TIA, Curtis
cmarti02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
ggieseke

You can have multiple PCs, but only one of them can be linked to your account online. That only affects the ability to "push" shows from the PC to the TiVo.

It sounds like a discovery problem to me. Desktop uses Bonjour or the older TiVo Beacon software to find the other devices on your network and the firewall on your new laptop may be blocking the ports needed (5353 and 2190 respectively).

Also check your router to make sure that your wired and wireless networks are on the same subnet, and that broadcast or multicast packets aren't being blocked.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
cmarti02

I had to put my firewall into Learning Mode and I opened Tivo desktop, it created firewall rules, and away I went!

Thanks!!!
cmarti02 is offline   Reply With Quote