TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #91
cl8855
woot!
 
cl8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Absolutely. If you ever happen to watch 'Every Little a Step,' in which he's one of many hopeful auctioneers for a role in a Broadway revival of A Chorus Line, you'll see that he's even worse than he seems on SYTYCD. He's a horrible person.
this + 10000

I like valerie a lot, but she seemed the weakest tonight to me...

RIcky should prob win
__________________
CL-eight = claite/clate
cl-five = Clive -- I just like it better than Claite-- MNoelH
cl8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #92
jlb
NCC-1701-D
 
jlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 7,372
Over the weekend I began hearing that ratings have been so low that there is a serious threat of cancellation after this season.

As fans, let's do what we can to try and prevent that and hashtag away on Twitter!
__________________
1 TiVoHD with Motorola M Cable Card and a 2TB Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS Drive.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #93
That Don Guy
Now with more GB
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Over the weekend I began hearing that ratings have been so low that there is a serious threat of cancellation after this season.
The numbers aren't that bad, especially considering it's up against Big Brother and America's Got Talent.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the show moved to a different night next season. The problem is, which one? Tuesday is still up against AGT; Thursday is still up against BB; the show seems to depend on the 18-49 demographic, so Friday is not a good idea; Saturday is out of the question because of baseball, unless Fox moves it to Fox Sports 1 (which I doubt), and even then, the same demographic problem with Fridays applies; Sunday is also pretty much out of the question as Fox isn't going to move The Simpsons (even in repeats) out of the 8:00 slot. That leaves Monday, but I think Fox wants to keep MasterChef there.

There's always Plan B: move the show to FXX.

I think the real problem is, the show seems to be targeted at people who are "dance fans" to the point where they probably already know all of the finalists even before the season starts, although if it really was that way, chances are they would all write in to ask that the show get rid of the viewer vote and have choreographers decide "America's best dancer". Who else is going to pay decent money to see them on tour?
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #94
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy
 
Cearbhaill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Posts: 13,396
For me, the problem is that none of the contestants this year have any sort of personality. When we are down to six left and I still don't know their names, that's a problem.
Also, Mary gushing over mediocre performances trying to make a "moment" happen is insulting to me. It's as if she was there purely to put lipstick on pigs.

I've all but quit watching- I think I have four episodes to view on my DVR.
Normally I have it on in the background and watch it the next night, but two weeks ago the hideous music ticked me off so badly I changed the channel and this last week I didn't even bother to have it on while it recorded.
I'll probably just watch the finale.
__________________
Hoop diddy do!
Cearbhaill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #95
That Don Guy
Now with more GB
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 2,732
I just realized something...

The Season 11 tour starts in early October, and promises that the winner will be in it. What happens when the show starts and there's an announcement:
"Ladies and gentlemen, we know we promised the Top 10 dancers would be performing, but unfortunately, the winner has a commitment to perform in On the Town on Broadway tonight...er, where is half of the audience going?...anyway, we have invited the four dancers eliminated from the Top 14 to-"
(voice from the back) "The box office is closed, and they're not giving refunds!"
(voice from the audience) "Storm the stage!"
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #96
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 22,734
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
For me, the problem is that none of the contestants this year have any sort of personality. When we are down to six left and I still don't know their names, that's a problem.
Also, Mary gushing over mediocre performances trying to make a "moment" happen is insulting to me. It's as if she was there purely to put lipstick on pigs.

I've all but quit watching- I think I have four episodes to view on my DVR.
Normally I have it on in the background and watch it the next night, but two weeks ago the hideous music ticked me off so badly I changed the channel and this last week I didn't even bother to have it on while it recorded.
I'll probably just watch the finale.
I have 5 of them in the folder myself... About 10 hours worth... Personally, I Can't STAND the new trend in reality shows to kill the golden goose by making the shows 2 hours long. My wife and I only have about 2 hours to watch TV together and it irks me that these shows want to monopolize my entire evening. We've tried splitting them into to two one hour chunks, but that just means they sit in the folders even longer and get older and older...

It's just greed pure and simple, and it's a huge part of why I'm not enjoying or keeping up on what used to be, my favorite shows. Too much of a time commitment and too much filler.
__________________
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by human error
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #97
That Don Guy
Now with more GB
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Personally, I Can't STAND the new trend in reality shows to kill the golden goose by making the shows 2 hours long. My wife and I only have about 2 hours to watch TV together and it irks me that these shows want to monopolize my entire evening. We've tried splitting them into to two one hour chunks, but that just means they sit in the folders even longer and get older and older...
"New" trend? What performance-based reality shows (SYTYCD, AGT, Idol, X Factor, DWTS) haven't started their live shows with 2-hour shows every season? The only way you could get them down to one hour is if you got rid of the judges, and the networks are under the impression that a considerable number of people watch these shows primarily to see what the judges do.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #98
zalusky
Registered User
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
"New" trend? What performance-based reality shows (SYTYCD, AGT, Idol, X Factor, DWTS) haven't started their live shows with 2-hour shows every season? The only way you could get them down to one hour is if you got rid of the judges, and the networks are under the impression that a considerable number of people watch these shows primarily to see what the judges do.
Worse yet they seem to want to add more judges theses days which adds to the blather and reduces times for the performances.

If it weren't for them being cheap to produce relative to scripted shows I think their time would have passed.
__________________
I will never forget the face of my wife as I left to go the operating room to donate my kidney and give her back her life.
zalusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #99
mooseAndSquirrel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Whatsamatta U
Posts: 2,659
I think Ricky and Jessica are spectacular dancers.
__________________
__
see my IT and technology blog at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #100
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 22,734
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
"New" trend? What performance-based reality shows (SYTYCD, AGT, Idol, X Factor, DWTS) haven't started their live shows with 2-hour shows every season? The only way you could get them down to one hour is if you got rid of the judges, and the networks are under the impression that a considerable number of people watch these shows primarily to see what the judges do.
I don't recall everything being two hours until a couple of seasons ago. There may have been one or two 2 hour shows, but not ALL of them. Either that or they were so much more entertaining that I didn't notice how long they were.
__________________
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by human error
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #101
zalusky
Registered User
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,941
The big guys always had 2 hour performance shows and in some cases 1 hour results shows. Now that ratings are dropping they dumped the results shows.

Survivor, Amazing Race were able to be edited into a 1 hour block and are a different animal entirely.
You can bet that the cooking competitions would have gone two hour if they had the ratings.
__________________
I will never forget the face of my wife as I left to go the operating room to donate my kidney and give her back her life.
zalusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:31 AM   #102
tem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,842
yay for Ricky !

For some reason it went over our heads that there was only 1 winner this year vs. 2 the last 2 seasons, even as they described the prize package. Ricky and Valerie seemed like locks for the top 2 anyhow.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #103
danterner
Not it!
 
danterner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Greenacres, FL
Posts: 9,370
I missed this season in its entirety (some seasons I watch, some I don't), but my wife and daughter watched and enjoyed it, and so a few months ago I got us all tickets for the tour - the show is tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to it.
__________________
Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #104
realityboy
Registered User
 
realityboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,754
I didn't notice a thread, but SYTYCD was recently picked up for another season with a format twist. Street dancers vs stage dancers.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/syty...12-1201358766/
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #105
Cainebj
Registered User
 
Cainebj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,785
I'm happy it was renewed albeit the twist sounds kinda lame.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #106
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy
 
Cearbhaill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Posts: 13,396
Yeah, gimmicks rarely add anything.
Just get some good dancing people with personalities- last season I barely learned everyone's name, they were all so bland.
__________________
Hoop diddy do!
Cearbhaill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #107
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 23,177
I want the special edition version SYTYCD where the pros from Dancing with the Stars are the contestants.

Mandy Moore is choreographing so many group number for DwtS, they might as well have a fusion challenge.

Let Derek Hough have to learn someone else's sadistic choreography for a change.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #108
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?
 
Kamakzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 4,914
I just read another tidbit that Mary Murphy might be stepping down and they might bring in Paula Abdul...
__________________
HR-20 x 2
HR-21 x 2
Kamakzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #109
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 22,734
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I want the special edition version SYTYCD where the pros from Dancing with the Stars are the contestants.

Mandy Moore is choreographing so many group number for DwtS, they might as well have a fusion challenge.

Let Derek Hough have to learn someone else's sadistic choreography for a change.
Oh my, that would be awesome.
__________________
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by human error
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #110
tem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
I just read another tidbit that Mary Murphy might be stepping down and they might bring in Paula Abdul...
As much as I don't especially like MM, this would bring a serious *ugh* from me.

To be honest, I think SYTYCT has run its course and should be humanely put down after this season. Project Runway isn't too far behind.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #111
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy
 
Cearbhaill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Posts: 13,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post

To be honest, I think SYTYCT has run its course and should be humanely put down after this season. Project Runway isn't too far behind.
I could say the same for just about all the competition based "reality" shows like DWTS, Idol, The Voice, Inkmaster etc.
It was a phase in television and IMO their expiration date is here.

In fact the only show of this type that I still enjoy is Face Off and that is because the showrunners have made the incredibly wise decision to skip 100% of the drama not directly involved in the actual competition.
__________________
Hoop diddy do!
Cearbhaill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #112
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 23,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I could say the same for just about all the competition based "reality" shows like DWTS, Idol, The Voice, Inkmaster etc.
It was a phase in television and IMO their expiration date is here.

In fact the only show of this type that I still enjoy is Face Off and that is because the showrunners have made the incredibly wise decision to skip 100% of the drama not directly involved in the actual competition.
The show I'm enjoying a lot right now is Master Chef Junior. It probably helps that I never watch the original Master Chef for grown-ups and the judges aren't mean.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:27 AM   #113
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?
 
Kamakzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 4,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
The show I'm enjoying a lot right now is Master Chef Junior.


Chef Ramsay sure is a nice guy when around the kids.
__________________
HR-20 x 2
HR-21 x 2
Kamakzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:00 AM   #114
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy
 
Cearbhaill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Posts: 13,396
I should have remembered Master Chef Junior.
I enjoy it and I loathe children.
__________________
Hoop diddy do!
Cearbhaill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #115
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 22,734
TC CLUB MEMBER
We're watching it too. Some of those kids are amazing!
__________________
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by human error
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |