TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
TX WJ
Intelligent Donkey

I just cut the cord

I have had Directv since the 90's, and I called today to shut it off.

With a 3 year old and 8 year old that watch Netflix and Hulu it just doesn't seem worth it.

We have 3 Apple TV's that we use for Netflix and Hulu. I have had Tivos in the past but they all died and were replaced with Directv DVR's.

If I wanted to add a DVR I guess I have to go with Premier for over the air?

How is the interface for Netflix and Hulu on the Tivo?

Anything else to consider?
TX WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
HarperVision

I was just looking at Simple.TV last night and am thinking of doing the exact same thing as you just did, if of course the new TiVo's don't entice me in that direction! Go to www.Simple.TV and check it out.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Exactly what I did a couple years ago.

The interface for Netflix and Hulu is ok on the TiVo, but it is slow. I much prefer using a Roku for those services, plus the Roku does Amazon Prime Instant Streaming.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
jeff92k7

We just cut the cord in our house last week. We have had two TiVo Premieres for a couple of years now, so cutting the cable and switching to antenna was very easy... Just went back through guided setup to change our programming and channel lists.

We also have Apple TVs that we use for Netflix and iTunes streaming/downloads. With Amazon purchases on the TiVo as well, we can get any cable network show we want - without the commercials and high monthly bills.

I personally don't like the netflix interface on the TiVo premiere and stopped using it when they changed it. I still can't figure out the remote buttons since they are so completely different from the normal TiVo menu buttons. The Netflix app on the Apple TVs is much better and also supports multiple user queues and suggestions, whereas the Netflix app on TiVo only uses the main account holder's queue and such.

I can't comment on Hulu since we don't use it. I can't stand the thought of paying them so they can force me to watch commercials. That's why I originally got TiVo - to skip the commercials. There are no commercials with iTunes and Amazon, and working the math between monthly Hulu service and purchasing seasons of shows on Amazon/iTunes, we found that Hulu wouldn't be any cheaper for us over a full year - at least not enough to deal with their forced commercials.

Most of the shows we like are on the OTA networks, so an antenna and TiVo still works just fine and costs us nothing more than the monthly TiVo service. Now, instead of 500 or so channels with nothing on, we have about 25 channels with nothing on and we save about $50 each month vs what we were paying with cable.

I'm happy so far.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
HarperVision

Yeah I'm thinking of going Roku 3's with the Simple.TV device as well as my existing WDTVs for premium channels and local sports from my Slingbox/tivos in Philly.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
TX WJ
Intelligent Donkey

Does anyone have Simple tv and use it?

How is it?

How is the interface?
Old 08-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
mr_smits

Hulu is great if that's all you have, but I prefer to skip commercials completely. I have 2 tuner Premieres that are chugging along with external antennas.

If I were you, I'd buy the new platform (due anytime now) instead of a Premiere because the old platform is slow and Netflix is buggy and slow. The new platform promises that Amazon streaming is likely a possibility, as well. Of course, you can get Amazon downloads (1080p HD at times) on any Tivo.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
TX WJ
Intelligent Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Hulu is great if that's all you have, but I prefer to skip commercials completely. I have 2 tuner Premieres that are chugging along with external antennas.

If I were you, I'd buy the new platform (due anytime now) instead of a Premiere because the old platform is slow and Netflix is buggy and slow. The new platform promises that Amazon streaming is likely a possibility, as well. Of course, you can get Amazon downloads (1080p HD at times) on any Tivo.
Wil it work with over the air only?
Old 08-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX WJ View Post
I have had Directv since the 90's, and I called today to shut it off.

With a 3 year old and 8 year old that watch Netflix and Hulu it just doesn't seem worth it.

We have 3 Apple TV's that we use for Netflix and Hulu. I have had Tivos in the past but they all died and were replaced with Directv DVR's.

If I wanted to add a DVR I guess I have to go with Premier for over the air?

How is the interface for Netflix and Hulu on the Tivo?

Anything else to consider?
Many people find the Netflix and Hulu apps on the Premiere to be too slow and not very reliable. I have used the Hulu+ one and it is slow to start and hard to use compared to a PC. If you can wait a bit there are rumors that TiVo will be releasing a new Series 5 DVR (the Premiere is a Series 4) that will be a 4 tuner that works with OTA and should have much faster streaming apps.

I have some reception issues and for me my TiVo HD & orginial Series 3 units deal with those issues somewhat better than the Premiere, so if you are inclined to take the risk and buy used equipment I think a TiVo HD or original Series 3 with lifetime would also be good options for an OTA DVR but they have very limited stream video options that don't work very well.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
mr_smits

Quote:
Wil it work with over the air only?
One of the new models will work with over the air (OTA).
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Yeah, I think at this point if you are starting from scratch again, is to wait until the new model is released. It shouldn't be too much longer according to the speculation threads. Anywhere between 2 weeks or 2 months.
The base model does support OTA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Yeah, I think at this point if you are starting from scratch again, is to wait until the new model is released. It shouldn't be too much longer according to the speculation threads. Anywhere between 2 weeks or 2 months.
The base model does support OTA.
Check this out for the new models of TiVos http://www.petra.com/catalogsearch/r...?q=tivo+roamio

Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
Beryl

Quote:
Does anyone have Simple tv and use it?

How is it?

How is the interface?
It is anything but simple and very, very buggy. My niece bought the lifetime subscription and ended up returning it.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #14
rexreed

For ota we find the Premier dual tuner to be a decent netflix and hulu streamer. Hulu looks better than netflix and has a better selection of tv shows, but since I live in a large Tv market I really do not need it. The netflix interface takes a little longer to load than my wii u but it is not too bad. It sure is convenient having everything in one box. I just wish there was a four tuner ota.
rexreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #15
Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexreed View Post
I just wish there was a four tuner ota.
Me too!
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #16
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexreed View Post
...I just wish there was a four tuner ota.
There is, it's just released and its called TiVo Roamio!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #17
abqdan

Definitely don't expect to use Tivo for anything other than as a DVR - the equipment and software are just not up to the standard needed. Use your Apple TV, Roku, WD TV Live, or some other dedicated device for streaming content. But in terms of recording crystal clear HD broadcasts OTA, the Tivo is an excellent box. The Tivo apps are buggy, and suffer from constant problems. Look around at various threads here to see the reports of the dreaded error V301, stuttering, problems connecting, syncing audio and video, screen resolution etc.

And on Simple TV, I don't know anyone who is using it, though there seem to be regular SPAM posts in this forum promoting it. From the reviews I've read, it isn't ready for prime time yet.
abqdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #18
ncbill

Don't forget you can buy 'cable' shows off Amazon commercial-free and have them automatically pushed down to your Tivo.

I watch "Warehouse 13" & "Walking Dead" via the above.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Don't forget you can buy 'cable' shows off Amazon commercial-free and have them automatically pushed down to your Tivo.

I watch "Warehouse 13" & "Walking Dead" via the above.
Do you have to buy it from the TiVo device itself (I have a Roamio) or can I purchase via the web etc.?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #20
tim316

i have the premire tivo..the interface for Netflix the Tivo SUCKS.its slow and very very buggy.pause function takes 8-10 seconds to pause and unpause and sometime dosent work at all.sometime i cant fast foward of rewind at all.when a netflix movie ends i have to reset the whole app to watch another movie.and then there is the netflix loading time....OMG!too damn long.i never tried HULU.im "maybe" assuming it would be the same.

i have missing channel issues and the dvr sometimes records nothing.tivo support is not help at all.called them like 5 times and they always blame time warner.

i will be "cutting the cord" with tivo very soon!
tim316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post
Do you have to buy it from the TiVo device itself (I have a Roamio) or can I purchase via the web etc.?
You can purchase the Amazon shows via the web. If your TiVo is registered with Amazon (it will have to be before it can download shows), then you'll see it on the website and can select it to "push" the shows directly to it.

Buying from the web lets you pick between HD and SD versions of TV shows. However, last time I checked, movies purchased form the web could only be pushed at SD quality. If you want an HD movie, then you have to purchase it through the TiVo.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
You can purchase the Amazon shows via the web. If your TiVo is registered with Amazon (it will have to be before it can download shows), then you'll see it on the website and can select it to "push" the shows directly to it.

Buying from the web lets you pick between HD and SD versions of TV shows. However, last time I checked, movies purchased form the web could only be pushed at SD quality. If you want an HD movie, then you have to purchase it through the TiVo.
Awesome, thanks for the info!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
ncbill

I subscribe via the Amazon instant video store, so on the web.

You can order shows one-by-one from the Tivo itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote