TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
troyz

Replace drive

The hard drive in my Tivo HD was upgraded 5 years ago to a 1TB drive. Because of the age of the drive I would like to replace it with a new drive before it fails.

I purchased a WD20EURS 2TB drive. I know that I cannot get more than 1TB of space.

Do I just use WINMFS with this command:

backup -qTao - /dev/sda | restore -s 128 -xzpi - /dev/sdb

I know I need to make sure that sda and sdb are the correct drives.

Thanks.
troyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Teeps

You can get the whole 2TB of space.
Unfortunately, I do not know how it's done.

However Unitron should chime in soon.
He(?) knows how; and from what I recall it will be easier starting with a 1TB drive.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyz View Post

Thanks.
No, you do not need to type any commands with WinMFS, it is not a linux based program, but you would need to run it in windows with administrator.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
mattack

You can also use jmfs, which is a Linux-based boot CD with a friendly front end.

I think if you use WinMFS, you can get slightly more space overall, but it's even more geeky.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
troyz

Thanks now I'm hoping someone will know if I can expand beyond the 1TB.

I'll look at jmfs and winmfs.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
worachj

Look at this link. Looks like 'LUSSIE' was able to do what you want, but he did it for an S3.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...33#post9168233
Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
The hard drive in my Tivo HD was upgraded 5 years ago to a 1TB drive. Because of the age of the drive I would like to replace it with a new drive before it fails.

I purchased a WD20EURS 2TB drive. I know that I cannot get more than 1TB of space.

I know I need to make sure that sda and sdb are the correct drives.

Thanks.
Based on the apparent success of someone I recently handheld through the upgrade process on an S3 HD, I'm going to say--

As long as you aren't using a GigaByte brand motherboard, hook the 1TB and the EURS to a PC running Windows XP or newer with WinMFS installed (where installed means that winmfs.exe is on the PC's hard drive somewhere, you don't actually have to "install" it), and run WinMFS as administrator.

Click select drive, choose the 1TB.

Click mfscopy.

Tell it you want to copy to the 2TB.

Suggest you enter the value 1024 in the swap partition size box--can't hurt, might help, it's only 15 minutes worth of video, space-wise.

Let it run.

Eventually it'll finish.

Decline the offer to expand, shut down, test the 2TB in the TiVo.

If all is well, hook it back up to the PC (you no longer need the 1TB hooked up), run WinMFS, select the 2TB, click on mfsadd, tell it to exceed 1.2TB for a partition size.

Before you do any of that, make sure the TiVo is already running version 11.0k of the software--look at the system information page in the menus.

Also before you do that, run the WD diagnostics long test on the EURS just to be sure nothing's wrong with it.

If you feel you have to use the jmfs method instead, look at the 1TB with WinMFS, click on mfsinfo, check the partition map, and make sure it doesn't have a 16th Apple Free partition on the end of the drive, otherwise jmfs will copy that as well and when it adds a single partition it will violate the "only 16 partitions per any single drive" rule which TiVos obey.

Only if you're bound and determined to use jmfs and you have an Apple Free partition on the 1TB should you consider the hex editing mentioned in LUSSIE's post, and then you should copy to the 2TB first and do the editing on it and not on the 1TB--leave the 1TB unwritten to in any way for safety's sake. Think of it as read-only.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
troyz

Wow thanks for the very detailed instructions. I will try this tomorrow and will let you know what happens.

Does anyone know how long a full 1TB will take to backup on average? (Couple hours, overnight?)

I'll just use winmfs.

Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Wow thanks for the very detailed instructions. I will try this tomorrow and will let you know what happens.

Does anyone know how long a full 1TB will take to backup on average? (Couple hours, overnight?)

I'll just use winmfs.

Thanks again.
Copying the 1TB to the 2TB will take more than a couple of hours, but you really should do the long test on the 2TB first.

There may have been some that slipped past quality control recently.

The WD diagnostic is available from the WD site as a bootable cd image, and is included on the Ultimate Boot CD, as well.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:

I'll just use winmfs.

Thanks again.
If you don't need to save any recordings, you might want to consider doing a fresh image install instead of a copy from the old drive. You can also use a SATA to USB adapter cable(s) if you don't want to break open your desktop PC.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
MPSAN

Quote:

I'll just use winmfs.

Thanks again.
I may suggest deleting all of the stuff in the recently deleted section on the drive. No point in backing up/copying all of that data!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
If you don't need to save any recordings, you might want to consider doing a fresh image install instead of a copy from the old drive. You can also use a SATA to USB adapter cable(s) if you don't want to break open your desktop PC.
Can you run the WD long test on a drive hooked up using one of these adapter cables?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
Can you run the WD long test on a drive hooked up using one of these adapter cables?
I think it needs to be hooked directly to one of the ports on the motherboard, although you could try it via USB and it won't break anything if it doesn't work.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
I've done it. The only program I've seen in the Forums that I can't run using a USB cable is WDIDLE.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #15
troyz

Success! 287 HD hours!

I used Winmfs and followed Unitron's instructions. I did do the long test with wd utility. I let it run overnight.

The copy process took about 4 1/2 hours in an external sata dock. I'll keep the old drive as a backup.

Thanks Unitron and everyone else who replied.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
rayman2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
No, you do not need to type any commands with WinMFS, it is not a linux based program, but you would need to run it in windows with administrator.
Thanks for the info!
rayman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
rayman2

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Based on the apparent success of someone I recently handheld through the upgrade process on an S3 HD, I'm going to say--

As long as you aren't using a GigaByte brand motherboard, hook the 1TB and the EURS to a PC running Windows XP or newer with WinMFS installed (where installed means that winmfs.exe is on the PC's hard drive somewhere, you don't actually have to "install" it), and run WinMFS as administrator.

Click select drive, choose the 1TB.

Click mfscopy.

Tell it you want to copy to the 2TB.

Suggest you enter the value 1024 in the swap partition size box--can't hurt, might help, it's only 15 minutes worth of video, space-wise.

Let it run.

Eventually it'll finish.

Decline the offer to expand, shut down, test the 2TB in the TiVo.

If all is well, hook it back up to the PC (you no longer need the 1TB hooked up), run WinMFS, select the 2TB, click on mfsadd, tell it to exceed 1.2TB for a partition size.

Before you do any of that, make sure the TiVo is already running version 11.0k of the software--look at the system information page in the menus.

Also before you do that, run the WD diagnostics long test on the EURS just to be sure nothing's wrong with it.

If you feel you have to use the jmfs method instead, look at the 1TB with WinMFS, click on mfsinfo, check the partition map, and make sure it doesn't have a 16th Apple Free partition on the end of the drive, otherwise jmfs will copy that as well and when it adds a single partition it will violate the "only 16 partitions per any single drive" rule which TiVos obey.

Only if you're bound and determined to use jmfs and you have an Apple Free partition on the 1TB should you consider the hex editing mentioned in LUSSIE's post, and then you should copy to the 2TB first and do the editing on it and not on the 1TB--leave the 1TB unwritten to in any way for safety's sake. Think of it as read-only.
Many thanks for your help and info. I replaced a dead drive with your instructions and the reformatting assistance. You saved me much $$$ Hats off to you!!!!
rayman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
unitron

I'm tempted to set up a tip jar at PayPal, but even I am not capable of being that tacky.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm tempted to set up a tip jar at PayPal, but even I am not capable of being that tacky.
May I suggest the purchase a six pack of your favorite adult beverage at the local BevMo, under your name for pickup.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote