TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
timr_42

Strange channel changing problem - Series 2

I've had this problem for a while, but wondered if anyone had a solution.

I have a series 2 tivo with a Motorola cable box from Charter. This just came up all of a sudden and I have tried to switch cable boxes to see if it would correct with no luck.

What is happening, is that on some higher channels(mostlly HBO type channels), when tivo changes channels the cable box will not stay on that channel. For example, if I change channel to HBO(channel 500), it will stay on that channel, but if I change channel to HBO2(channel 502), the cable box will continue to change channels...502,503,504.. until it gets to channel 540, in this case Showtime. This does not just happen to all channels, and not just on pay channels either. Can't tune into ION as well(channel 1xx).

Has anyone see this and have any suggestions on fixing?
timr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by timr_42 View Post
I've had this problem for a while, but wondered if anyone had a solution.

I have a series 2 tivo with a Motorola cable box from Charter. This just came up all of a sudden and I have tried to switch cable boxes to see if it would correct with no luck.

What is happening, is that on some higher channels(mostlly HBO type channels), when tivo changes channels the cable box will not stay on that channel. For example, if I change channel to HBO(channel 500), it will stay on that channel, but if I change channel to HBO2(channel 502), the cable box will continue to change channels...502,503,504.. until it gets to channel 540, in this case Showtime. This does not just happen to all channels, and not just on pay channels either. Can't tune into ION as well(channel 1xx).

Has anyone see this and have any suggestions on fixing?
Have you tried setting the cablebox channel manually (i.e.: without the Tivo IR cable)? If the cable box won't stay on the set channel then it has nothing to do with the Tivo.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
ggieseke

It sounds like you are using serial instead of IR, and the Motorola firmware was updated by the cable company. Switching to IR is probably the only solution.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
sharkster

I had a similar problem early this year with both of my Series 2 machines (one Tivo and one Toshiba). I tried switching them both from serial to IR. One of them got a little better but was still changing sometimes to just the wrong channel (not scrolling to find one it would recognize, but actually just going to the wrong one in the first place). The other one just didn't get better at all and I couldn't access the majority of the channels over a certain number. It acted like those channels didn't exist.

I tried calling Tivo and, when they had no idea, calling Charter. Both said there had been no updates or changes and neither Tivo nor Charter knew what was going on.

Aside from both of them suddenly not recognizing some channels, I was having a myriad of weird channel-changing problems with both serial and IR.

I finally gave up and replaced both of them with Premieres. Something changed, because the problems became profound on the same day with both units (hooked up to two different TVs), but neither Tivo nor Charter 'knew' what it was or could help me with it.

No problems with the Premieres. Thankfully, also, there is no longer the serial or IR thing to deal with. One must just replace their cable boxes with CableCARDs and, with Charter here anyway, they also hook up a 'Tuning Adapter'. The ONLY downside I have had with replacing them is that there is no longer 'On Demand' because that went through the cable box so, until Tivo gets with Charter on that, we don't have On Demand at all on those TVs.

I hate stuff like that that seems like it should be simple, yet nobody seems to know what's wrong and nobody can fix it. I'm pretty logically-minded (probably my downfall) and tried for the longest time to figure it out myself and tried all the settings in 'IR' and nothing helped at all.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
timr_42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Have you tried setting the cablebox channel manually (i.e.: without the Tivo IR cable)? If the cable box won't stay on the set channel then it has nothing to do with the Tivo.
This is how I end up recording from one of these channels. I tune the cable box to the correct channel and then unplug the serial cable in the tivo. The tivo will flip to the correct channel, but since the cable is not plugged in there is no issue.

That is just a pain, because the tivo is then locked into that channel until I get the cable plugged back in.

I'll try IR and see if that works.
timr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
microbubba

Our S2 as well

Suddenly, and without any reason, our S2 connected via Serial to Motorola box (Cox) is now exhibiting the very same issue. We recently had to add the Tuning Adapter on the downstairs S3, that is working fine. Now, the S2 will stay on 200 (HBO) but the if we change to 201 it will tune in with a good picture, then seconds later start cycling, 202-203-204 etc etc and maybe jump to the Music channels. Quited frustrating.

Any answers?
microbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbubba View Post
Suddenly, and without any reason, our S2 connected via Serial to Motorola box (Cox) is now exhibiting the very same issue. We recently had to add the Tuning Adapter on the downstairs S3, that is working fine. Now, the S2 will stay on 200 (HBO) but the if we change to 201 it will tune in with a good picture, then seconds later start cycling, 202-203-204 etc etc and maybe jump to the Music channels. Quited frustrating.

Any answers?
Apparently serial control of cable boxes is being broken by the cable companies.

Switch to IR control, see if that makes a difference.

Now if you're manually changing the cable box to 201 and it's not staying there, that's not a TiVo problem, that's a cable box problem.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote