TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
LaurenON1982

Roamio Network with Homeruns

Hi all! I hope someone is able to assist because I refuse to believe no one has yet to encounter this. I just purchased a condo with 4 tvs. I LOVE my roamio so I decided to use it. Each tv is wired directly to the tv tower in the street (Homeruns). My roamio works fine but I can't seem to set up my minis even though the moca is enabled. Because of the layout of the condo, it's not possible to split the roamio line and run to another tv. Any ideas? I'm a HUGE tv person and only having it on one tv is killing me. Thanks!!
LaurenON1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
telemark

What are you using for Internet inside the condo?
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Which model Tivo Roamio do you have? The basic 4 tuner Roamio does not have built-in MoCa.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

You are not going to be able to use MoCA with your setup (homeruns for the tv tower), so you're going to have to use a local network (as telemark is aiming at), either wired or wireless. Some people have been able to get wireless to work for Roamio/Minis but it is not supported by TiVo. You'll need a pretty clean wireless environment, often difficult to get in a crowded condo building.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenON1982 View Post
Hi all! I hope someone is able to assist because I refuse to believe no one has yet to encounter this. I just purchased a condo with 4 tvs. I LOVE my roamio so I decided to use it. Each tv is wired directly to the tv tower in the street (Homeruns). My roamio works fine but I can't seem to set up my minis even though the moca is enabled. Because of the layout of the condo, it's not possible to split the roamio line and run to another tv. Any ideas? I'm a HUGE tv person and only having it on one tv is killing me. Thanks!!
Ethernet is your best choice.

IF you don't want to run ethernet cable or want to try something else first then

I would try powerline adapters which let you send data through your electrical wiring. I've tried them in the past for various things and they seemed to do the job. They may give you enough performance to stream to your Minis, but that always depends on the internal wiring. They are super simple to set up.

Wireless is also a possibility. Put wireless adapters on everything that needs it. Note: the newest wireless standard is wireless AC. So if wireless N didn't work then maybe wireless AC could do the job? Still in general wireless can be flakey for this type of task and present big YMMV results. Still it is a possibility.

MOCA isn't working because it isn't playing nice with your antenna frequencies and probably nothing you can do about that. (although there is a work around that is possible depending on the cable wire topography n your condo. You could buy a Moca adapter for your Roamio's ethernet port. and then connect the rest of your cable outlets to this Moca adapter. And disconnect this "other outlet" portion from the antenna. This may involve just running one fairly short length of cable from your Roamio back to a splitter.)

Last edited by trip1eX : 08-11-2014 at 05:11 PM.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
LaurenON1982

So
Old 08-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
LaurenON1982

So I have good wireless signal strength. How would I go about connecting the minis to the wireless network since they don't seem to have the tuners. The electrical outlet ones would be good but I think it would only work for one tv...
Old 08-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #8
telemark

Wired is usually more reliable. But it's understandable, lots of places it's not possible to run Cat5.

What kind of router or AP do you have?
There's faster and slower WiFi. You're going to need one of the faster variety.

Are there any other electronics at each TV? Roku, Playstation, SmartTV's?
If so, you might need something with multiple ports unless they're all wireless as well.

This one is cute.
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-10/...mini-wireless/

Small overview:
Cat5+ - best, but needs to run cable if not preinstalled which varies by construction age.
Moca - best over common wiring, sometimes interference issues need to be sorted
Powerline - can work well but can also be limited to half the power outlets
Wifi 5.0 - signal penetration limitation based on house construction / distance
Wifi 2.4 - better penetration, more crowded spectrum

Last edited by telemark : 08-17-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenON1982 View Post
So I have good wireless signal strength. How would I go about connecting the minis to the wireless network since they don't seem to have the tuners. The electrical outlet ones would be good but I think it would only work for one tv...

For wireless you need wireless adapters at all Minis so they can talk to your wireless network. Makes sure you buy them from a store with a good return policy in case you find the experience unacceptable. The wireless adapter is hooked to the ethernet port on each Mini. The Roamio has built in wifi and might as well use that first.

Powerline works for multiple tvs. You plug in a powerline adapter at the electrical outlet at each Mini and at the Roamio. And then connect each of those devices to the adapter with an ethernet cable.

btw, good wireless signal strength is no guarantee of performance in this case. What works good for internet surfing might not work good for streaming cable tv content around.

Last edited by trip1eX : 08-12-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #10
telemark

Tower ownership

It's not uncommon for the condo association to "own" the cable wiring. Or have a bulk cable account. You might have some sway in having the wiring altered for your needs.

That said, I don't know what's in there that's causing the problem.

In the simplest case, you would add a 4 way splitter and a moca filter, in the box.

You might ask someone on the board. If access is not an obstacle, it might not be hard to fix up.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
It's not uncommon for the condo association to "own" the cable wiring. Or have a bulk cable account. You might have some sway in having the wiring altered for your needs.

That said, I don't know what's in there that's causing the problem.

In the simplest case, you would add a 4 way splitter and a moca filter, in the box.

You might ask someone on the board. If access is not an obstacle, it might not be hard to fix up.
Yeah good point. I guess Moca will work with an antenna if you had a filter. Where would the filter go in this case? just before the 4 way splitter?