Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #31
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
My money is it turns out that the choppers dropped white phosphorus, not sarin.
White Phosphorus on civilians is still a big no-no.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #32
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

The editing was interesting. It seemed clear to me the general was confirming things, just not "officially" on the tape. He said Genoa happened and he mentioned Sarin. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #33
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuxa View Post
You were a pioneer if you used it in 2005, as it was prototyped in May 2006 and launched in July 06 Most 'pioneers' joined at SXSW in 2007.
2007 then. I looked to see when I created my account. I couldn't find it. The last time I saw it, my account pre-dates the one Leo Laporte is using. (He deleted the first one when was mad that they used his Twit name.)
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #34
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
The editing was interesting. It seemed clear to me the general was confirming things, just not "officially" on the tape. He said Genoa happened and he mentioned Sarin. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.
Genoa happened. That Genoa was a sarin attack didn't happen. Genoa could have been some other chemical like willie pete.

What's weird is the General saying - and Jerry using - (If) "we used sarin." Here's how it would have happened."

Would he say it DID happen, and here it is how it might have been done.

What happened to the timeline for Maggie's hair? She's a blonde when she's producing the story for Jerry, but she has cut and died her hair by the time of the legal inquiry. So somewhere long after the Africa trip Maggie flips out?
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #35
TonyD79

She seems to be slowly slipping away. The hair cut was probably when she hit rock bottom and started to get tougher.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #36
GoPackGo

GoPackGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #37
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Genoa happened. That Genoa was a sarin attack didn't happen. Genoa could have been some other chemical like willie pete.
Right, but the general very strongly implied sarin was involved. At the least, he intentionally deceived them.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #38
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I thought the general pretty clearly confirmed that Genoa happened and Sarin was used, but then once the cameras were turned on, he suddenly got very careful and hypothetical with his wording. So he confirmed it, just not on tape where they can use it.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #39
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I thought the general pretty clearly confirmed that Genoa happened and Sarin was used, but then once the cameras were turned on, he suddenly got very careful and hypothetical with his wording. So he confirmed it, just not on tape where they can use it.
This, and Dantana kept prodding him, and he wouldn't comply, once he got on camera.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #40
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
In the real world CNN thing that Sorkin is using I think that the story was totally bogus.
UVerse and OTA

Old 08-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #41
aindik

He confirmed it. But it didn't happen.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #42
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Someone is suing over "wrongful termination". I thought we knew that that someone was Dantana. If what we saw last night is what he did that cost him his job, I can't see how anybody could think that was "wrongful termination". Dude was wrong, clearly and objectively, and he altered the tape to make it say something the man on the tape never said.
Not to mention the fact that ACN's lawyers are worried that Maggie's testimony would be discredited by her mental state, but it seems that what she would testify to ("he said 'it happened'") supports Dantana's case.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #43
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Refresh my memory. When the lawyers talked to Maggie, was the subject whether the general said it happened? And she said that no, he never said it? Because this week we saw that she got kicked out of the room.
Maggie's testimony is that she heard him say "It happened".

In the scene we saw, she was on her way out the door when he said "It happened", but still enough in the room that she could have heard it.

The "it happened" was in response to Dantana's pre-video questions while he was completing the set-up, as Maggie was leaving the room.

Also, the "it happened", IIRC, was saying that Genoa happened, not that the Sarin drop happened.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #44
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
It won't be Maggie, the lawyers interviewed her and want her to be credible for them.

Who haven't Marcia Gay Harden interviewed?

I'm guessing the wrongful termination suit is Mac. They even pointed out in this episode that after all the vetting of the sources, etc, in the end, it's her call.
I believe Mac was interviewed by MGH at the end of the first episode.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #45
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post

It won't be Maggie, the lawyers interviewed her and want her to be credible for them.

Who haven't Marcia Gay Harden interviewed?

I'm guessing the wrongful termination suit is Mac. They even pointed out in this episode that after all the vetting of the sources, etc, in the end, it's her call.
They may have pointed that out but the person who gave the go ahead was Charlie.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #46
Jonathan_S

Quote:
That was the point of my post. In the flash forwards, they're telling us the whole story is a fake. But in the present time, they're showing us all the investigation and sources and it all seems to be credible, except for the way Jerry edited the video. So that's why I was asking how everything that now looks credible turns out to be a big lie. Are all these sources in on some grand conspiracy against ACN due to Will's take down of the Tea Party?
A lot of those other connections are very tenuous or circumstantial.

For example the MX-75 (or whatever it was) on the manifest might have been the radio jammer, not chemical weapons.

The rescuers might have been in MOP gear because of a warning about potential enemy chemical weapons, or even because they planned to use tear gas (or similar) as an incapacitating agent to assist in recovering the captured Marines alive.
Quote:
Refresh my memory. When the lawyers talked to Maggie, was the subject whether the general said it happened? And she said that no, he never said it? Because this week we saw that she got kicked out of the room.
Yep that matches me memory. But tonight we saw that as soon as the General got his way kicking her out he actually did say "it happened".
Now he might have been referring to something else, but that word pair did pass his lips.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #47
aindik

She testified that he said it, or that he didn't? I don't remember and you and busyba seem to disagree.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #48
Jonathan_S

Quote:
She testified that he said it, or that he didn't? I don't remember and you and busyba seem to disagree.
My recollection is that Maggie testified fairly emphatically that the General never said "it happened".

If my memory is correct that means her testimony was incorrect on that point.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #49
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Here's a good rule of thumb: if someone is disagreeing with me, they're probably wrong.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #50
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
My recollection is that Maggie testified fairly emphatically that the General never said "it happened".

If my memory is correct that means her testimony was incorrect on that point.
Simply from a logic standpoint, it is not possible for her to testify that the general "never said" something. Especially if she spent a significant portion of time not in the room in which the general and the presumed plaintiff were alone together.

She can testify that he said "it never happened" or that he said "it happened" (depending upon her recollection), but she can't say he never said "it happened".

Aindik is allegedly a lawyer, so he should know that.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #51
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Simply from a logic standpoint, it is not possible for her to testify that the general "never said" something. Especially if she spent a significant portion of time not in the room in which the general and the presumed plaintiff were alone together.
That might have been the point of what they showed. That she couldn't possibly say that, but she said it.

Also, the night before she got drunk and went home with a guy she met at a bar. To which Jim was a witness. She then hopped on a Shuttle to DC first thing in the morning, and then Dantanna told her she looked tired.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #52
busyba
The Funcooker

Crap.

I just pulled the episode out of the Deleted Items folder and it turns out I was wrong (it happens 3 or 4 times a year ).

Her testimony is that the general did not say "it happened".

I still stand by my assertion, however, that to testify to such a thing is a logical impossibility, regardless of whether or not she's got a messed up state of mind.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #53
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Crap.

I just pulled the episode out of the Deleted Items folder and it turns out I was wrong (it happens 3 or 4 times a year ).

I still stand by my assertion, however, that to testify to such a thing is a logical impossibility, regardless of whether or not she's got a messed up state of mind.
Except for the fact that she can say that he didn't say "it happened" while she was in the room, and the real raw footage of the interview while she was out of the room will show that he didn't say it then, either. I presume that if it's Jerry that's been fired and has filed a lawsuit, then the ACN staff knows about the doctored video.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #54
aindik

Quote:
Crap.

She's testifying to something she couldn't possibly testify to. I think that's the point of the storyline. Both Dantanna and the general know it.

Do we know the whereabouts of the general in the time frame when the lawyer interviews are going on? Did he commit suicide a la Col. Markinson? Because if he's still alive, he's a credible witness (IOW, he's not the party on the other side) who can shoot her testimony to hell.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #55
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
She's testifying to something she couldn't possibly testify to. I think that's the point of the storyline. Both Dantanna and the general know it.
Except (and this is something that had not been in our discussion, but that I came across as I rewatched it just now) the plaintiff's complaint alleges that Maggie did in fact hear him say "it happened".

What I'm inferring is that Dantanna (assuming that he's the plaintiff), is saying that the general said "it happened" and he's saying that "Maggie heard it too, so I'm telling the truth."

And Maggie is saying "nope, he didn't say it."

And the interview of Maggie by Marcia Gay Harden ostensibly was to see how easily her testimony of "nope, he didn't say it" can be discredited.

My problem with all that is that it doesn't matter if she sits on the witness stand wearing a strait-jacket and flanked by two guys in white jumpsuits holding butterfly nets, if she says "nope, he didn't say it", the best the plaintiff's can achieve is "she doesn't remember him saying it" or "she wasn't paying attention and missed him saying it" or "she's too nutty to remember that he said it".

And none of that does any good at all for the person alleging that he said it. Discrediting a hostile witness who is not corroborating your story does not somehow result in your story getting corroborated by default.

Now, if the defendant was alleging that he never said it, and were offering up Maggie's testimony as proof, this whole exercise would make a little more sense (except for the previously mentioned issues), but that does not appear to be the case.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #56
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Except (and this is something that had not been in our discussion, but that I came across as I rewatched it just now) the plaintiff's complaint alleges that Maggie did in fact hear him say "it happened".
Upon rewatching it again, that's not exactly true.

What we actually know from the interview is that Dantanna swore out an affidavit that says that Maggie was super messed up and in no position to be able to say that the general did not say "it happened".

So it's not necessarily clear whether it is the plaintiff or the defense who initially claimed anything about Maggie and what she did or did not hear the general say.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #57
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Upon rewatching it again, that's not exactly true.

What we actually know from the interview is that Dantanna swore out an affidavit that says that Maggie was super messed up and in no position to be able to say that the general did not say "it happened".

So it's not necessarily clear whether it is the plaintiff or the defense who initially claimed anything about Maggie and what she did or did not hear the general say.
This is actually a problem with the show this season. I can't remember very much of the testimony that happened three or four episodes ago that is finally addressed in the current episode when they show what actually happened. I just don't have the time or the opportunity to go back.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #58
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
This season's story arc was inspired by CNN's retracted 1998 report on Operation Tailwind, a covert American mission in southeastern Laos during the Vietnam War. When discussing this fact on Wednesday night, Sorkin chose his words carefully and emphasized multiple times that "Genoa is not a dramatic reenactment of Tailwind," nor is it "based on" the operation in Laos. The events at CNN merely served as inspiration, he stressed. The reason Sorkin spoke cautiously was, he told the audience, because "a number" of people involved with the story (people who would later sue CNN) have now found fresh reason to get mad and potentially litigious—all thanks to The Newsroom's second season.

"[They] have now lawyered up again, and they're after me," he said. He did not specify beyond that.

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-med...-washington-dc
Some NSFW language in the article.

Quote:
During the Q&A, Sorkin confirmed that HBO has now offered him the opportunity to make a third season of The Newsroom,

UVerse and OTA

Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #59
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
"[They] have now lawyered up again, and they're after me," he said. He did not specify beyond that.
And why not? Beats working for a living.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #60
Idearat

The comments above about what Maggie said are missing one big point: She wasn't asked a question. So having the answer without the question is also problematic.

If the question was "while you were in the room" then she could say he never said something. The question could also be about what she heard, not where she was standing. Could she hear from outside the door? Did she use "the old glass on the door trick" to hear better?

She was blurting out statements, but we haven't seen her being asked the question.
Idearat is online now   Reply With Quote