TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 4.77 average.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #721
namwoljr

Quick MoCA question for the folks here:

So I bought an ActionTec adapter and installed it in the living room where my router is, hooked up my Mini via coax on the other side of the house, and the MoCA connection worked no problem. The Mini obviously doesn't need a MoCA adapter on its end, because it's built in.

If I were to buy another MoCA adapter and put it next to the Mini and take the coax coming in from the wall, plug it into the Coax In port, and then connect the Mini to the adapter via the TV/STB Out port, would the MoCA connection still work? The reason I might want to do this is to use the Ethernet port out of the MoCA adapter next to the Mini and connect it to an Apple TV, or if I'm feeling ambitious, another wireless router to create a wireless extender via a hardwire backbone.

I just don't know how smart these adapters are, or if MoCA passes through from the Coax In port to the TV/STB port. I'm assuming it might since some people have commented about the need to put a POE filter in-between their MoCA adapter and Modem because of interference issues.

Any input would be much appreciated!

namwoljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #722
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by namwoljr View Post
If I were to buy another MoCA adapter and put it next to the Mini and take the coax coming in from the wall, plug it into the Coax In port, and then connect the Mini to the adapter via the TV/STB Out port, would the MoCA connection still work? The reason I might want to do this is to use the Ethernet port out of the MoCA adapter next to the Mini and connect it to an Apple TV, or if I'm feeling ambitious, another wireless router to create a wireless extender via a hardwire backbone.
Oddly, Actiontec adapters don't pass the moca signal through the RF-out connection. But there are options, depending on how ambitious you decide to get:

- Split the coax, with one leg going to the Mini and the other to the adapter.

- Connect a cheap ethernet switch (or router in bridge/AP mode) to the moca adapter and plug everything into that.

- Search for the ECB3500T01, a moca adapter with 4 ethernet ports.

- Search for the WCB3000N01, a moca adapter with 2 ports but also acts as a wireless extender.

The top two are the cheapest if you already have some of the equipment. The bottom two options reduce the amount of hardware (one adapter instead of an adapter + a switch/router).

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw; 02-15-2015 at 10:05 AM..
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #723
namwoljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Oddly, Actiontec adapters don't pass the moca signal through the RF-out connection. But there are a few good options:

- Split the coax with one leg going to the Mini and the other to the adapter.

- Connect a cheap ethernet switch (or router in bridge/AP mode) to the moca adapter and plug everything into that.

- Search for the ECB3500T01, a moca adapter with 4 ethernet ports.

- Search for the WCB3000N01, a moca adapter with 2 ports but also acts as a wireless extender.
Looks like a splitter would be the ticket for me here. I actually thought of that after submitting my previous post, but still good to know for sure whether or not MoCA is passed through the RF-out connection. If only the Mini could act as a bridge, I wouldn't need even need a second ActionTec adapter...

Anyhow, time to put that spare wireless N router to good use and blanket my house with wireless internet!

namwoljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #724
Peter G

MoCa and OTA Tivo Question:

The new house has "home run" coax from the central location to all the rooms. The internet connection will come into this room which is where the cable modem and router will be set up. I have a Roamio Basic using OTA, and will have Minis at 2 or 3 TV locations. The Roamio will be next to the router also.

My plan is to connect the Off-Air Antenna to Roamia coax in, and connect it to the router via CAT5 cable. Then a MoCA adapter will also be connected to the router via Ethernet. Does this work to create a shared MoCA/Ethernet newtwork?

Finally to connect the other cables, would I connect a splitter to the MoCA adapter and the coax cables form each room to the splitter? If so which connection on the MoCA adapter would I use - coax in or TV/STB out?

Form Tivo website:

Can some of my DVRs connect via MoCA, and others via Ethernet?
"Yes. With MoCA enabled in your home, both Ethernet and MoCA devices can access your home network."

Is what I have described a correct way to create a MoCA network?

Thanks to you experts for any comments.

Peter G

Peter G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #725
Random User 7
Incognito

It sounds like you are doing it similar to the way I did it. The difference is you are using Ethernet instead of MoCa with your Roamio. Coax in is what you want.

Blue is Ethernet, Orange is MoCa

I followed this and bought adapters off ebay on the cheap http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-hom...ridge-all.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg moca.jpg (78.6 KB, 72 views)
Random User 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #726
Peter G

Thanks Random,

I am hoping to eliminate one of the MoCA adapters by connecting the Roamio directly to the router with ethernet cable, as they will be physiclaly close to each other. Otherwise I have similar set up.

Assuming where all the coax come together in your sketch is a 4 way splitter; in from the 1st adapter, out to 3 minis and second adapter?

Thx

Peter G

Old 03-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #727
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter G View Post
My plan is to connect the Off-Air Antenna to Roamia coax in, and connect it to the router via CAT5 cable. Then a MoCA adapter will also be connected to the router via Ethernet. Does this work to create a shared MoCA/Ethernet newtwork?
Yep as long as OTA coax is connected to the moca adapter (coax-in).

Quote:
Finally to connect the other cables, would I connect a splitter to the MoCA adapter and the coax cables form each room to the splitter? If so which connection on the MoCA adapter would I use - coax in or TV/STB out?
The moca signal is not passed through the RF-out on the adapter, so don't connect any moca devices "downstream" from an adapter. You want the other devices to connect "upstream" from the adapter.

OTA coax goes to the moca adapter's RF-in. Then an ethernet connection to the router. Moca network is complete. No splitters needed. Connect the Minis in the rooms where desired (assuming they share a common central splitter with the moca adapter).

Old 03-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #728
Peter G

BigJim,

If I had other TiVo boxes on the network, I can see where your approach might be needed. This would bring the OTA signal on to the network. However I have only the one master Roamio, which needs off-air signal. All other locations would be Minis which need only to borrow a tuner form the Roamio. So maybe I don't need to have OTA into anything but the Roamio? If I attach the OTA to Coax in on the adapter, then where do I hook the rest of the coax cables for the MoCA network?

If I understand the MoCA adapter, the "coax in" is really the network in and out, and the TV/STB out is just passing the TV or Cable signal to the TiVo box?

Also I believe each Mini has MoCA capability built in so I can connect the cable direct - no need for second MoCA adapter at each Mini?

PG

Old 03-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #729
Random User 7
Incognito

Quote:
Thanks Random,

I am hoping to eliminate one of the MoCA adapters by connecting the Roamio directly to the router with ethernet cable, as they will be physiclaly close to each other. Otherwise I have similar set up.

Assuming where all the coax come together in your sketch is a 4 way splitter; in from the 1st adapter, out to 3 minis and second adapter?

Thx

Peter G
Exactly, we basically have the same setup. I didn't feel like running Ethernet to the Roamio and since I had coax there, I used MoCa. Most people need there in house wiring for antenna/cable but you are like me and just connected directly to the Roamio.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #730
BigJimOutlaw

This is where diagrams come in handy. I may just be misunderstanding the problem.

The most common setup is that the video source (cable or OTA) has a main splitter that feeds all the rooms in the house. A moca adapter can be connected to any of the legs on the splitter, and then the entire house is lit up for moca.

The Minis don't need the OTA or cable signal, but that's beside the point. The key thing is they'd have a moca signal too. The unused video signal won't hurt anything.

You can create your own separate coax network for the other rooms if you want, but it's not necessary if the coax is already in place. If it's not in place, then you can do your own thing as long as the other moca devices are not connected to the RF-out side of the adapter.

Yes to the last 2 questions.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw; 03-26-2015 at 11:56 AM..
Old 03-26-2015, 01:31 PM   #731
Peter G

BigJim

Attached is a crude diagram of what I propose.

Question: Anyone know of a combined MoCA Adapter and Coax Splitter? Sort of a MoCA equivalent to Ethernet Router?

Thanks

Peter G

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TiVo MoCA Network.jpg (41.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #732
HarperVision

Quote:
BigJim Attached is a crude diagram of what I propose. Question: Anyone know of a combined MoCA Adapter and Coax Splitter? Sort of a MoCA equivalent to Ethernet Router? Thanks Peter G
That looks like it should work to me, FWIW.

I do the same basic thing using DECA units instead of moca and have the cable line split and also going to the Roamio+ instead of an antenna. Ya know, sh*t that Bigg says doesn't work and is a "kludge", even though it's simple and it does.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #733
BigJimOutlaw

The diagram should work, yes. The splitter will be necessary since there aren't any moca adapters with lots of coax ports.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #734
Peter G

Thanks all,

Yes it would be nice if there was a MoCA adapter with several coax ports. They exist with several Ethernet ports but I did not find any with more than 1 coax network port, and 1 TV out port.

I'm beginning go to see how it is a common network whether Ethernet or coax.

Peter G

Old 03-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #735
Random User 7
Incognito

Quote:
Thanks all,

Yes it would be nice if there was a MoCA adapter with several coax ports. They exist with several Ethernet ports but I did not find any with more than 1 coax network port, and 1 TV out port.

I'm beginning go to see how it is a common network whether Ethernet or coax.

Peter G
Yup it will work. Reason for them not to make a MoCa adapter with additional ports is, it would be no different than what you are doing. The signal strength wouldn't be any better. There is no market other than what they could twist and make you believe. This would be like buying Monster brand HDMI cables.