TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
meadota

Question Megabytes of data

How many megabytes of data per month does a TiVo Premiere use?

I realize that applications such as Netflix will use a lot of data but I am interested in how much data the TiVo uses (in both directions) just to provide all the necessary guide service not including things like Netflix.
meadota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

A tiny, tiny amount compared to video streaming. Why is this of interest to you?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
meadota

Because I am new to TiVo and I was just informed by my internet provider that I have hit 75% of my monthly usage. This comes as a shock to me because I never hit this mark until I got my TiVo hooked up.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

Have you changed your viewing habits to start using netflix/hulu/ect?

Heck- tivo used to use a modem and your phone line to update the guide data!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

If you aren't streaming Netflix/hulu/Amazon VOD, then the only other possible data hog might be a service update download. If your Tivo is very new, then it would have done a service update probably within a week after being hooked up. Not sure how much data that is, but couple that with the initial Guide Data download.... If it is a Premiere and you are using the HD menu interface I think that pulls internet data as well in real time.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Just a long shot but you might try asking TiVo support or searching in their support forum.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #7
True Colors

Original poster....... how much data allowance does your internet service provider give you every month?

As the others already pointed out, the Tivo guide updates use only a tiny amount of data. However, your original setup on the Tivo might have used up some data to upgrade the Tivo operating system software.

Tivo tech support should be able to provide you with detailed information about your usage.

Streaming video like hulu, netflix, etc uses a ton of data. Especially if you are streaming in HD.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #8
meadota

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
...how much data allowance does your internet service provider give you every month?
80GB per month.

I only use the TiVo for the guide and as a PVR. I began to think it was continually downloading guide data just like it is always recording something.

I guess I will eventually call support and get a conclusive answer.

Last edited by meadota : 03-14-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: fixed sentence