TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
tomhorsley

No signal, but recording anyway?

My cable is literally broken, dangling in the wind at the top of the pole out back. The TiVo knows enough to say "searching for signal" on every channel, but I still see the red recording lights come on from time to time. Is it really recoding a few hours of no signal, or is it just telling me it is planning to record if the signal should happen to come back?
tomhorsley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
My cable is literally broken, dangling in the wind at the top of the pole out back. The TiVo knows enough to say "searching for signal" on every channel, but I still see the red recording lights come on from time to time. Is it really recoding a few hours of no signal, or is it just telling me it is planning to record if the signal should happen to come back?
Does it come on at times when you have something set up to record in the "To Do" list? I've seen mine on at times during the middle of the night when nothing is scheduled to record so I've suspected that it was doing a SW update.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Does it come on at times when you have something set up to record in the "To Do" list? I've seen mine on at times during the middle of the night when nothing is scheduled to record so I've suspected that it was doing a SW update.
It comes on both for scheduled recordings and for "suggestions", even though there is no signal to record. I haven't checked to see if any of these mythical recordings actually appear in my shows directory yet.
tomhorsley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
It comes on both for scheduled recordings and for "suggestions", even though there is no signal to record. I haven't checked to see if any of these mythical recordings actually appear in my shows directory yet.
They don't. That's the annoying part. You walk by the unit and see red light(s) on and think great, it's recording as scheduled, I'll come back and watch later. Then you find out later recordings are missing from My Shows and check in Recording History that it actually didn't record anything due to lack of signal. i.e. It gives the impression everything is recording OK when nothing gets recorded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
dwit

It's not recording. Since it is scheduled to record, the light comes on, and stays on for the duration of the scheduled recording, but as long as there is no signal, no disk space is being used. If a signal were to be picked up during the period, the recording would start writing to disk.

If there was no signal for the entire period, nothing will be listed in Now Playing/My Shows and the To Do/Recording History will indicate "Not Recorded" because of no signal.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
It's recording infomercial.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
pmiranda

This is my biggest complaint with TiVo for as long as I can remember... it knows that it's not getting the program, but it doesn't try to retune, and it lies about recording something until it's over and then silently deletes it.
This should be a big damn error message, not something it hides from you.
We get ads on every screen and messages every week or two about channel lineups changing, but cable could be out for a week and it will happily ignore it.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
This is my biggest complaint with TiVo for as long as I can remember... it knows that it's not getting the program, but it doesn't try to retune, and it lies about recording something until it's over and then silently deletes it.
This should be a big damn error message, not something it hides from you.
We get ads on every screen and messages every week or two about channel lineups changing, but cable could be out for a week and it will happily ignore it.
I think that the way they handle a missing signal is not unreasonable. The TiVo does have a tuner dedicated to recording that channel for the duration of the show. What would it retune to? I suppose they could put a warning message up on the video outputs (live TV or whatever) to tell you that the signal is missing, but there's a good chance nobody would be there to see it anyway. At least if nothing at all gets recorded, the TiVo will try again later to record that show, assuming that it's on again.

I would like to see them automatically try again later even in the case where only part of a show records, or where there was a signal for the whole show but there were so many errors that it's pretty much unwatchable. I'm OTA only. I suppose the too-many-errors situation occurs rarely with cable.

Last edited by L David Matheny : 08-21-2012 at 10:12 AM.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
Rez

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
I think that the way they handle a missing signal is not unreasonable. The TiVo does have a tuner dedicated to recording that channel for the duration of the show. What would it retune to?
Well, if you have to use a tuning adapter on your cable connection like I do, and that adapter fails to properly tune somewhere around 2% of the time like mine does - attempting to retune would let me get my requested show minus maybe the first 20 seconds. Instead I get a totally missed recorded with a notice that no signal was available. The TiVo should definitely attempt to re-tune when it finds no signal.
Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
Well, if you have to use a tuning adapter on your cable connection like I do, and that adapter fails to properly tune somewhere around 2% of the time like mine does - attempting to retune would let me get my requested show minus maybe the first 20 seconds. Instead I get a totally missed recorded with a notice that no signal was available. The TiVo should definitely attempt to re-tune when it finds no signal.
Have you put a lamp timer on your TA yet?
There's a thread around here somewhere about that.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
L David Matheny

Quote:
Yes, I didn't think of tuning adapter problems since I'm OTA only. You have my sympathy. Certainly TiVo needs to improve their software to do several quick retries followed by another retry every minute (say) for the duration of the recording until a signal is acquired.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I have that issue on rare occasions, also. But the TiVo *does* attempt to retune- at least it says it does on the screen. Rarely seems to be successful, and I don't think it tries more than a few times and gives up. Each of the few times I have seen this/caught this, I was able to tune in on a SDV channel on the other tuner by just manually going there.

Thankfully, almost none of my important channels are SDV.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
Rez

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Have you put a lamp timer on your TA yet?
There's a thread around here somewhere about that.
Hadn't seen that suggestion, I'll have to go do some searching.
Rez is offline   Reply With Quote