TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Tivo showed welcome screens but nothing else

So, our TV screen was black. For a few reboots in a row, our S3 played the welcome/powering up/almost there screens but then the screen would go black and we'd get nothing else--no TiVo startup video, no NPL, no menus, no Live TV, nothing.

The TV obviously worked just fine with DVD, xbox, Wii, etc., which is why we're guessing it's the TiVo. Everything is plugged in the same as always. Then on a third reboot it all went perfectly.

As a point of interest, we have it connected to a 1TB external hard drive and have never had any issues with it.

Is our TiVo dying? Is there anything we can do? Was it just a glitch?

I've tried googling but I'm on my phone so am having some difficulties.

If it's on it's death bed I want to prepare by moving what we can to the Premiere and/or TiVo Desktop...

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Any number of things could be going on here. S3 OLED Tivo?

First thing to do that doesn't involve opening the Tivo is to run the Kickstart 54 and the Kickstart 57 tests.
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

The external hard drive poses an extra snag in troubleshooting. It could be the external hard drive failing, the electronics in the external case failing, or it could be the cable that connects the external to the Tivo.
Of course it could be the internal hard drive failing while the external is just fine.
That's why most people here have upgraded their internal hard drives: to eliminate the extra points of failure.

Having said that, if this is an S3 OLED Tivo, then I would suspect the power supply. S3 OLED power supplies have been showing signs of capacitor plaque lately.
Take a look at this thread to see what that might entail...
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=473394

Edit: This one too...
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=483814

Basically you need to open up the Tivo and look at the capacitors on the power supply. If any look like they are bulging or "domed" like the picture below, they need to be replaced.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 06-19-2012 at 07:08 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Thanks. I'll pass on the info to hubby. I have no idea what an OLED TiVo is so we'll have to figure that out, too.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
I have no idea what an OLED TiVo is so we'll have to figure that out, too.
S3 Tivo HD on the top
S3 OLED Tivo on the bottom (some refer to it as "the original S3" as it was the first S3 introduced to the market).

Which one do you have? When someone just says "S3", we can only guess as to which unit they are referring to.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 06-19-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
HomeUser

Is your remote control working, try pressing the TiVo button does the front panel led flash in response?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

We have the TiVo HD. Thanks.

We use a Harmony One remote...

Old 06-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
HomeUser

Does the front panel Yellow LED flash in response to remote key presses like "TiVo" or "Live" TV?
Can you see/access the TiVo HD from "My Shows" or "Now Playing" using the premiere?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
In that case, I'm less likely to suspect the power supply however, you can't rule it out.

If it is convenient to do so, remove power and take the cover off and eyeball the power supply just to make sure (you might find you need a can of compressed air as well ).

If not, focus on the hard drives for now: Do the kickstart tests and see what they say.

By all means, if you have many shows that you just can't bear to lose and you have the space, start transferring them now as a backup if you're worried. You can always delete the copies later if they're not needed.
Better to be safe than sorry, I sometimes say.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #9
L David Matheny

Quote:
So, our TV screen was black. For a few reboots in a row, our S3 played the welcome/powering up/almost there screens but then the screen would go black and we'd get nothing else--no TiVo startup video, no NPL, no menus, no Live TV, nothing.
Can we assume that (at least some) LEDs on the front panel were lit while the TV screen was black? I ask because I believe that a TiVo in standby mode that is rebooted by cycling the power (pulling the plug) will reenter standby mode as soon as it finishes rebooting.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:

We use a Harmony One remote...
I've got an HD I can borrow the power supply from to see if that's your problem

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron

I've got an HD I can borrow the power supply from to see if that's your problem
Thanks, I'll let you know. For the moment it appears to be working fine, but we still need to troubleshoot (likely this weekend).