TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
sicklesqed

Exclamation TiVo Roamio DOA - Poor Customer Service

So I am wondering how that TiVo will stay in business.

Purchased a Roamio this week and turned-in my TWC Cisco DVR--because the interface and the quality were terrible.

After getting the device set-up on TWC, only 3 of the 4 tuners worked--so a multiple set of calls to support started.

CASE #1: 130904-008911

Our representative [Stu] told us that the DVR needed to be replaced and it would be better and easier for them to replace it than taking it back to Best Buy, where purchased.

After a lot of problems even getting to that diagnostic, Stu told us to, "Wait a little while, take a walk and get a cup of coffee" and all would work out. Wow Stu, great advice for a piece of technology!

The results were to get a replacement shipped out but the catch was we had to call back in twenty minutes to get the shipping unit TiVo Service Number replaced in the account, but he could not do it as it required just a quick call back into the system to accomplish this.

So in twenty minutes (actually we waited about an hour) we called back.

CASE #2: 130904-010930

Dan answered.

So Dan tells us it takes four hours not twenty minutes and that we need to call back to get the quick-switch taken care of.

(4 hours and 30 minutes later)

Guess what, we get Dan again! What luck!

But also guess what, we have to call back in several hours (8PM MT) to make sure that it goes through.

Hey Dan, get us a supervisor on the line please.

Well the supervisor stated that they would take care of EVERYTHING! Just let him get another supervisor that would be there on Thursday to take care of the switch-over and all will be well.

TWO DAYS LATER

Call back and in same form and fashion the DVR says it has no service--they kick-off a remote connection, again and again.

And now I have to wait 24 - 48 hours for everything to make it through the system.

Guess What, this is the biggest piece of junk I have ever dealt with from a support, service and hardware perspective.

Wow, just wow!

Reviews are going up on Best Buy, Amazon and other sites to warn against the huge colossal waste of technology and time!

Along the way I was promised calls back from Supervisors and the masses, but have I gotten ONE call back--NO!

If any TiVo representative is monitoring this forum, please use the case numbers posted and call us at the number on the account. We would like to get some attention to our issue.

.mws.
sicklesqed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

You know this forum is a good source of information for help. What exactly is the problem? Maybe we can help you out.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
sicklesqed

So, when three (3) programs are recording the message pops-up that no signal is available (V57).

The Tuner 3 (0,1,2,3) has no signal and cannot tune.

This was diagnosed as a DOA unit by TiVo support.

Subsequently, the TiVo keeps reporting that the service is not activated--and that has required at least 4-5 calls to support where they have to re-enter the TiVo Service Number to "re-authorize" the device.

That is what is going on.

.mws.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Did you get a replacement? Or do you still have the one they deemed DOA?

What brand CableCARD does your cable company use? Do they require a Tuning Adapter? If so what brand is that?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
sicklesqed

Not yet, yes and SciAmer (Cisco)

So the DOA unit with only (3) functional tuners is still in-place and the replacement is on the way--5-7 days.

Yes the CableCARD is a Scientific American (Cisco) and the TA is a Cisco STA1520.

Using Time Warner Cable and the signal strength is over 92 (ranging from 92 to 95).
Old 09-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

You should check out this thread...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507973

There are a lot of people with Cisco cards having trouble with tuners because of old firmware on the card. There is a lot of information in there about the minimum firmware required for both the CableCARD and the Tuning Adapter to support all 4/6 tuners.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You should check out this thread...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507973

There are a lot of people with Cisco cards having trouble with tuners because of old firmware on the card. There is a lot of information in there about the minimum firmware required for both the CableCARD and the Tuning Adapter to support all 4/6 tuners.
I think information in that post shows that the CC firmware has nothing to do with the problem. People are posting about the V58 error on the 6th tuner with versions as far back as .1601. I have the same problem using firmware .3001.

So while TiVo may have initially thought that you had to be on a certain firmware level to receive 6 tuners, the data is showing this to be untrue.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

What about the tuning adapter? Doesn't that also need a newer firmware?
Old 09-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
speedy2
TivoAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
I think information in that post shows that the CC firmware has nothing to do with the problem. People are posting about the V58 error on the 6th tuner with versions as far back as .1601. I have the same problem using firmware .3001.

So while TiVo may have initially thought that you had to be on a certain firmware level to receive 6 tuners, the data is showing this to be untrue.
I have firmware 3001 and have the same tuner issue as you so your not alone. The issue is either with cable card software or the TiVo software. In either case they are working on a fix. TiVo is working with Cisco/SA to get this problem resolved. Some reps at TiVo may not even know of this issue. You may be able to avoid the problem for now by reducing the amount of tuners that are in use by doing this:

From TiVoMargret
Go to Settings > Channels > Channel List
and enter one of the following number sequences using the number buttons on the remote. This will tell Roamio the how many tuners it can use.
- 88633 = use 3 tuners
- 88634 = use 4 tuners
- 88635 = use 5 tuners
- 88636 = use 6 tuners

You should hear some "Thumbs Up" dings confirming the number of tuners Roamio will use.

Reboot your unit after doing this.
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
I have the same problem using firmware .3001.
Please follow the instructions posted by TivoMargret to send Tivo logs since you say you have the 3001 firmware.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
Please follow the instructions posted by TivoMargret to send Tivo logs since you say you have the 3001 firmware.
Spent 5 days doing this. Now on 5 tuners and all is good.