TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
DubVBenz

Cannot stream between two Premiere's w/ wireless G adapters

So I purchased the deal where I got two premiere with a wireless G adapter thinking I'd be able to stream HD from one to another without issue, but that doesn't appear to be the case. With them both on the same network, in a 1200 square foot condo with a Wireless G/N router in the room between them, I cannot stream without a pause every 2 seconds. Is this normal behavior? Is there a way for me to optimize my network? Other clients on the network are pulling consistant 30-35Mbps down from the WAN, and higher than that on the LAN via wireless. As far as I know, HD can't possible consume more than 5mbps.

Thoughts?
DubVBenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
HomeUser

What is the signal level for the wireless connection for each DVR?

The available speed divided between all connection. Each additional connection uses more of the available bandwidth. 2 TiVos through the router wold cut the speed roughly in half with nothing else using the Wireless the DVR would get less than 15Mbs. If you can move one DVR to wired see if that improves performance.

15 Mbs is still enough for HD streaming try changing the Wireless channel. If the signal is low on one of the DVRs change the adapter's location or the router's.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Also, what other networks are nearby using the same wireless channel? You might be able to get a better signal on a different channel, such as 1, 6, 11.

Microwaves, 2.4 gHz cordless phones are other things that can interfere with wireless connections.

You might benefit by re-positioning the wireless adapter for better signal.

Ideal strength is about >70%

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
DubVBenz

Wireless channel was moved to the best available spot, signal is great in both spots (each is separated by one interior wall and about 15 feet on the same floor). I've used a wifi analyzer on my phone to calculate the signal dbm at various places. At the time of the test, there were only two devices using wireless, and those were the tivos.

Tivos are using DHCP, perhaps I should reassign static and mess with the QoS settings. Was wondering if there were any tweaks on the tivos themselves. Between the wireless performance and extreme lagginess of the menus, these things have been a tremendous letdown after becoming accustomed to my old Fios DVR systems. If I can't get the wireless to perform properly, I'll probably consider moca, as I've heard their N adapters are pretty much garbage too.
DubVBenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
jrtroo
User

Wireless streaming is not supported by Tivo. If you want to go wireless, I would use non-tivo bridges- cheaper and would give additional ethernet ports. Static could not hurt. I have used the G adaptor in the past- ok, but have always ended up replacing with hardwired ethernet.

I would go MOCA, that has great reviews all around.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

I use duel band N to stream HD Video.

I use a DLink DIR-825 router and two DLink DAP-1522's on the 5ghz band. It is not just what is on your SSID the 2.4ghz channels overlap. In a crowded environment sustained speed to stream HD on 2.4ghz is not possible. of the three locations I've lived since upgrading to duel band I have never encountered another 5ghz SSID I have one other device on the 5ghz SSID, my 3D smart TV both the DAP-1522's show a consistent 270M connection to the router the TV 216M. Before the last move I had DirecTV HD DVR's an HR-21 and an HR-23. I was able to streamed bi-directional and concurrently HD and 3D w/o dropping a lick. Even now with TiVo's it works flawlessly. I admit both DAP-1522's also have a BluRay HTS connected though they seldom stream anything. My computers, printers and other wireless devices are on the common 2.4ghz network fighting the 16 other SSID's nearby.

Wireless G you really pushing it hard.
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote