TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Setting up a P4 killed my P3

I am trying to get a Premiere 4 going - paid the Lifetime fee and it's in process - however when I went through the setup on it - I didn't realize it was using the exact same remote controller ID as my 2 channel Premiere right below it.

Now my old Premiere won't receive cable any more!!!!!!

The only thing I can think is that something I did, blew up the cablecard settings for it.

I did have a cablecard from another Tivo in the house I was seeing if I could get working on the P4....

I went through the guided setup again on the old Premiere, but still dead cable. hmmm Good news I have had already scheduled the cable guy to come and get the P4 cablecard setup. Now looks like he'll have to do them both!

Any way I can get the remotes to not conflict with each other?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
HomeUser

You need to program both remotes, instructions on TiVo.com Controlling two TiVo boxes with separate remotes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Thanks - that did the trick! Of course it doesn't fix the skewed cablecards - but tomorrow hopefully we'll be OK.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Well interestingly for some reason late this morning - just before the cable guy arrived (of course) the signal came back!

Meanwhile - the P4 also came up with service - and I was able to go in and copy the Season Passes from the old Tivo to the new one!

HOWEVER - we cannot access the to do list or my shows - on either box right now from the website.

Wonder if this too will cure itself given time?
Old 12-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
bshrock

It will take a connection or two before the website gets the info from the DVR.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
You need to program both remotes, instructions on TiVo.com Controlling two TiVo boxes with separate remotes
Now I'm having issues with this - the procedure to set the different IR channels on each individual controller/tivo box combo goes great - until they are both exposed.

The next click - no matter which controller - changes the box it's NOT supposed to work with - back to that controller's channel. It's maddening. I'll have to play with it a lot more - but I know I'm doing it exactly right as per the instructions - it works fine on the last one set - as long as I don't touch the second controller with both boxes exposed.

I'm using aluminum foil to ensure blocking the IR - and cross testing it to make sure it's not receiving during the setup process. hmmmm
Old 12-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
HomeUser

Points to consider.
  • A remote set to the default code '0' controls all TiVo's.
  • A TiVo set to '0' will be controlled by all remotes.
  • Leaving a TiVo on the "System Information" screen will be re-programmed to any TiVo remote it sees.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
Points to consider.
  • A remote set to the default code '0' controls all TiVo's.
  • A TiVo set to '0' will be controlled by all remotes.
  • Leaving a TiVo on the "System Information" screen will be re-programmed to any TiVo remote it sees.
Thanks - I'm aware of all those things... I had been using CH 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 in my attempts - always exiting back to the main menu. Strangely, I had it working fine then things got skewed for some reason. I did run Manual > Connect to the TiVo service several times yesterday because the website wasn't reflecting My To Do List - or My Shows - for either box. Maybe that messed them up?

Anyway after a few more tries I got it to stick gain - let's hope it holds this time!