TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Bluesfan77

Arrow Does anyone here use Charter?

First a little backstory:
I know Charter has their own DVR, however, at the time I ordered my first Series 2 TiVo, Charter did not have DVRs available in my area. Since then I have also purchased a TiVoHD. Both have been working just fine, Series 2 with cable box to tune in premiums/digital stations and the HD with cable card and tuning adapter.

However, on 12/21 I added Charter Internet and did a self install. At that time, they change my package from Digital Home/Digital View/Charter Premium (Showtime & Movie Channel, HBO & Cinemax) to Charter TV Select/Silver Package. While I lost TMC and the Encore stations, I gained back stations that were in the Digital View Plus group (BBC America, Sundance, IFC, etc.) To me this was an even trade as the faster internet connection would enable better streaming via Netflix, Amazon, Epix, etc.

Here is the issue:
I seem to have lost many of the "basic" cable stations, such as the local stations. The HD versions in the "hundreds" range come in just fine.

A tech was called out on 12/22 to troubleshoot the lost channels issue. While working on the issue, he noted that mine was one of a couple of cable card calls he had. He called the next job to see if they were having the same issues and they were...using TiVo and HD comes in fine but not locals.

It should be noted that the channels come in just fine on the Series 2 as well as a direct connection to the TV.

At that point, the tech said it was most likely a larger problem on Charter's end and left. However, that call was after he did a lot of troubleshooting inside and outside the house. He was here for what seemed like a couple hours.

Here is the question:
I did not know if anyone here was having any issues like this and/or what my next course of action should be? The channels are still out and while most of the ones out are available in HD, not all of them are.

(sorry if this is the wrong forum to post a question like this)
Bluesfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
mortis42

I have a S2 and a S3 using cable cards with Charter. When our complex was transitioned to Charter, it was a clusterf***, and I ended up making friends with one the higher level techs.

A few months ago, after a power outage, it took a week and a half before I noticed my cards had lost sync. (thank god for BBCA & Doctor Who or it might have been longer)
I called the tech from my original install, and he told me that the signal must me manually re-synced at Charter. He was able to make a call and have it done, but he is in business tech now. He told me they do get a automatic report at their end, but taking care of all the lost cable card signals is not a priority for them.

I say, keep calling until you can get to a higher level in tech support than the regular reps.

BTW, ask for credit for lack of service. I got 2 months just by asking.
mortis42 is offline   Reply With Quote