TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Netflix 4:3 content displayed in Zoom?

EDIT: It just corrected itself, after playing Farscape S01E01, very odd....

I just noticed that all Netflix 4:3 content on both my TiVos is being displayed at Zoom 16:9 mode I cannot find a way to change the format,
No the TV is not set to Zoom.
I have the second Fall Update 20.2.2.1
All the StarTrek TV series are a good test.

The 4:3 content plays fine on my computers, Is this a new bug?
My Bluray player also displays correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 12-01-2012 at 07:19 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I have always had to adjust the zoom settings on the TiVo before entering the Netflix app. The button doesn't work while playing a Netflix video. Choose from Panel, Full and Zoom before going into the app.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah, stupidly the zoom feature of the TiVo effects Netflix but can not be adjusted from within the Netflix app. So if it's set incorrectly you have to back out, adjust the zoom in a TiVo recording, and then reenter the Netflix app.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

It has been a while since I'v run into this issue. I'll try it out on my end and see if it still happens.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

The TiVo Zoom mode was the issue and the fix. and is repeatable for me.

If the TiVo is Zoomed prior to entering Netflix the 4:3 content is also Zoomed. This does not appear to affect 16:9 Netflix content.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 12-02-2012 at 01:41 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yeah, stupidly the zoom feature of the TiVo effects Netflix but can not be adjusted from within the Netflix app.
There's actually a reason for this, historically. The Zoom button code does get sent on to HME apps (like the old Netflix app... I assume this is also true with the new Flash apps, but I haven't tested that), but then the app has to act on it -- and there's no function to change the zoom mode in the HME API (at least not that's been made public, and I haven't seen any sign of it otherwise).

I got around this in HME/VLC, by using the discrete network remote codes for the various zoom modes ('ASPECT_CORRECTION_PANEL', etc.); when the TiVo gets one of these, it acts on it immediately instead of passing it on to the app. So HME/VLC responds to the zoom code by cycling through the discrete codes. To my knowledge, it's the only HME app that will let you change the zoom mode from within it. Unfortunately, since the network remote interface can only take one connection at a time, this doesn't work if you're controlling HME/VLC with a network-based remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosupport_jacob View Post
I was under the impression that the TiVo box runing 14.9+ changed (or 'reset') it's Video Output Format and Aspect Ratio automatically when entering/launching the Netflix application so that the Zoom would reset to the default setting.
I never heard of that. It doesn't match my observations. I don't think there is a "default" zoom mode, anyway; it's just three different modes with equal standing.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote