TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #31
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Can you just imagine Van Alden as the self-loathing murderer who justifies his killing in the name of Christ (cleaning up the scum of the earth)? A total psychopath now working for the dark side?

It would be horrific. The actor can pull it off, too. It would be fantastic to watch!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #32
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
As for Margaret, I think that Nucky wants to make nice with her, because she knows a lot of his secrets AND is a vindictive type. So, if she's pissed off enough at him, she can make a LOT of trouble for his business. But, I also think that deep down Nucky loves her.
I disagree. First of all, Nucky has as much on Margaret as she has on him, but he has all the connections to use that info (whereas she doesn't). Advantage Nucky.

I think he wants to reconcile with her because of the kids. Remember, he lost his only child and part of the entire Nucky/Margaret dynamic was his desire to be a dad again. He even mentioned it in the last scene in the tenement hallway. (take the money, if only for the children).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #33
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
I disagree. First of all, Nucky has as much on Margaret as she has on him, but he has all the connections to use that info (whereas she doesn't). Advantage Nucky.

I think he wants to reconcile with her because of the kids. Remember, he lost his only child and part of the entire Nucky/Margaret dynamic was his desire to be a dad again. He even mentioned it in the last scene in the tenement hallway. (take the money, if only for the children).
Yeah, if he simply feared her, at this point he would simply kill her.

Clearly, it's not simple.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #34
zalusky

I also think Nucky wants to feels like he has some connection to a wholesome god fearing world and Margaret represents that. Many of these mob shows like to indicate the concept of two families. The business family and the home family.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #35
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

The writers missed a bet. If Eli ran into "George" with Al in Chicago, Eli would have known that "George" was Van Alden.

"You got a brother?"
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #36
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah, if he simply feared her, at this point he would simply kill her.

Clearly, it's not simple.
Maybe I'm just not remembering, but has there been a woman he's ever had killed (or killed himself)? Even Jimmy's mom who's caused him all kinds of trouble was not killed by him. I just don't think Nucky kills women.

I think it's all the things we've mentioned. He definitely has a connection to the kids, and he seems to have a soft spot for kids. He's good with Eli's kids and I even recall him being good with Jimmy's kid.

I think he does love her and he does like the idea of being a "family man", I guess this is much like Tony Soprano's relationship with his wife.

I do think he worries a bit about what she might do to his career. She's already crossed him once with signing the road over to the church. I wonder if he thinks he needs to keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't do it again.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #37
pmyers

I agree with the poster that asked why Nucky and his brother were the only 2 that went to the whore house. They didn't know about Richard which would leave them with 9+ guys to deal with on their own.

I loved the last 2 episodes.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #38
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Maybe I'm just not remembering, but has there been a woman he's ever had killed (or killed himself)? Even Jimmy's mom who's caused him all kinds of trouble was not killed by him. I just don't think Nucky kills women.
Well, he never killed ANYONE until the end of last season. It will be interesting to see what happens now that he IS a killer (and an increasingly ruthless one) if he comes across a woman what needs killin'.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #39
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

^^ If ever there was a woman that needs killin', it's Margaret!

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #40
pmyers

My favorite scene was when the Mayor was on the courthouse steps and he says "Nucky doesn't run this town, I do!" And then all the reporters laughed at him.

I can't imagine Nucky totally leaving AC, but I can't wait to find out.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #41
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
My favorite scene was when the Mayor was on the courthouse steps and he says "Nucky doesn't run this town, I do!" And then all the reporters laughed at him.

I can't imagine Nucky totally leaving AC, but I can't wait to find out.
Nucky can't leave AC, the show is called Boardwalk Empire.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #42
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
Won't your face be red when they change the name to "Desert Empire"?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #43
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
They could move the show to Coney Island which has a rather famous Boardwalk, or Asbury Park. Both were very popular vacation spots in that era.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #44
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

If you really want to know where he'll be next year, you can look him up on Wikipedia...
Old 12-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #45
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Okay forgive for putting this all here but I figure since it was the finale and I just got caught up it's better than replying to every episode thread! I will try to not make this too wordy!

First of all, not at all happy about Owen. Funny enough, I didn't realize how much I liked him until I saw him in that box. Now I'm pissed. First Jimmy and now Owen. They are killing off all the good male roles that aren't already there because of history, other than Richard. And if they were to even dare think about it, I'd be out. He's my deal breaker at this point.

But wow so much to reel about this season! First of all, let's go over the things that shocked me.

• Nucky killing that kid. WOW. I was more shocked than Owen was. I mean, I get why he would kill him, I just didn't think he was going to.
• Gyp's penis. Did we really need to see that? HBO just love to show us male parts and I don't know why. At least keep to to Lucky's. HIS I don't mind seeing.
• Gillian sleeping with Jimmy lookalike, Roger. I was shocked then grossed out. Then shocked again because the crazy bitch drowns him! I assume she did that to fake him as the real Jimmy so she could get the house legally? That was sketchy to me because I was too busy still going over the sleeping and killing of the poor guy.
• Gyp and the shovel. I knew it was coming. I knew he was going to bash that guy's head in and it still took me back watching it. Just wow.
• And of course Owen in the box. I really did not see that coming at all. I maybe should have but I didn't realize his character was in any danger of leaving. I really thought there was more story left with him and Margaret and Nucky. And speaking of, did she wig out much?? It was funny seeing the realization dawn on Nucky's face the more she freaked out.

Richard getting his guns out was like "awwwww yeah, here we go! You all are in some twouble now!" Ha! It's ridiculous how giddy that scene with him just taking all Gyp/Masseria's men out at the hotel made me. I think I might have even squeed like a fangirl. I liked that she was able to see past the face thing. Now the gun/blood thing, maybe not. Gillian will not be pleased next season about her grandson.

Can I just say my favorite line of the season, maybe the series so far was this "I need a bath, some chow, and then you and me sit down, and we talk about who dies." YES!!! I really hope we start getting more Capone next season. He's one of my favorite characters and it's all due to Stephen Graham's chops. He makes me honestly like the guy and feel touched with the scenes of him and his boy. Then he says stuff like this above with that smirk and I was literally about cheering in my living room!!

Perhaps Nucky should get to know his most loyal people a bit more. How did he not know Eddie had a family? WTF Nucky. And he dared to tell Margaret "I forgive you" about Owen after all the slutting around he's done. So typical, especially back then. Don't get me wrong, I don't really sympathize much with her but that just irked me.

Did not care about Van Alden this season at all. Nor did I give a crap about Nucky's side fling Billie. I'd say I didn't even care about the Lucky/Masseria/heroin thing but it's Lucky and I have a thing for him and the actor so he gets a pass. Plus I did find humor in them talking so much crap about Meyer and him not being Italian yet when it counted he was the only one using his brains. Him having to tell Lucky that if he doesn't shut up they're both dead was like DUH! but then you have that Italian temper. This girl knows all about that. It's gotten me into trouble plenty of times myself.

Eli had some good moments. Chalky had some great moments at the end. I think he'll end up with his club next season. I don't know the history on that and I'm not looking it up. I'd rather just wait and see.

Did I miss anything big??
Old 12-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #46
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

What a great post. Thanks for having me relive the season!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #47
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Okay forgive for putting this all here but I figure since it was the finale and I just got caught up it's better than replying to every episode thread! I will try to not make this too wordy!

First of all, not at all happy about Owen. Funny enough, I didn't realize how much I liked him until I saw him in that box. Now I'm pissed. First Jimmy and now Owen. They are killing off all the good male roles that aren't already there because of history, other than Richard. And if they were to even dare think about it, I'd be out. He's my deal breaker at this point.

But wow so much to reel about this season! First of all, let's go over the things that shocked me.

• Nucky killing that kid. WOW. I was more shocked than Owen was. I mean, I get why he would kill him, I just didn't think he was going to.
• Gyp's penis. Did we really need to see that? HBO just love to show us male parts and I don't know why. At least keep to to Lucky's. HIS I don't mind seeing.
• Gillian sleeping with Jimmy lookalike, Roger. I was shocked then grossed out. Then shocked again because the crazy bitch drowns him! I assume she did that to fake him as the real Jimmy so she could get the house legally? That was sketchy to me because I was too busy still going over the sleeping and killing of the poor guy.
• Gyp and the shovel. I knew it was coming. I knew he was going to bash that guy's head in and it still took me back watching it. Just wow.
• And of course Owen in the box. I really did not see that coming at all. I maybe should have but I didn't realize his character was in any danger of leaving. I really thought there was more story left with him and Margaret and Nucky. And speaking of, did she wig out much?? It was funny seeing the realization dawn on Nucky's face the more she freaked out.

Richard getting his guns out was like "awwwww yeah, here we go! You all are in some twouble now!" Ha! It's ridiculous how giddy that scene with him just taking all Gyp/Masseria's men out at the hotel made me. I think I might have even squeed like a fangirl. I liked that she was able to see past the face thing. Now the gun/blood thing, maybe not. Gillian will not be pleased next season about her grandson.

Can I just say my favorite line of the season, maybe the series so far was this "I need a bath, some chow, and then you and me sit down, and we talk about who dies." YES!!! I really hope we start getting more Capone next season. He's one of my favorite characters and it's all due to Stephen Graham's chops. He makes me honestly like the guy and feel touched with the scenes of him and his boy. Then he says stuff like this above with that smirk and I was literally about cheering in my living room!!

Perhaps Nucky should get to know his most loyal people a bit more. How did he not know Eddie had a family? WTF Nucky. And he dared to tell Margaret "I forgive you" about Owen after all the slutting around he's done. So typical, especially back then. Don't get me wrong, I don't really sympathize much with her but that just irked me.

Did not care about Van Alden this season at all. Nor did I give a crap about Nucky's side fling Billie. I'd say I didn't even care about the Lucky/Masseria/heroin thing but it's Lucky and I have a thing for him and the actor so he gets a pass. Plus I did find humor in them talking so much crap about Meyer and him not being Italian yet when it counted he was the only one using his brains. Him having to tell Lucky that if he doesn't shut up they're both dead was like DUH! but then you have that Italian temper. This girl knows all about that. It's gotten me into trouble plenty of times myself.

Eli had some good moments. Chalky had some great moments at the end. I think he'll end up with his club next season. I don't know the history on that and I'm not looking it up. I'd rather just wait and see.

Did I miss anything big??
What she said
Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #48
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
What she said
Except for that one part.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #49
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

to you both!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #50
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
to you both!
Forget them bums. I liked reading your recap.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote