TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #31
zenshadow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Sorry, I was replying to the *original* poster.. and the thread is titled negatively.
Oh, I see. Good, then. Thanks.
zenshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #32
tvmaster2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 745
I was always of the understanding that 'Lifetime' stayed with the machine unless there was some reason a CSR would override that rule (promotion - recently purchased - equipment malfunction). I got two Premieres in exchange for my two, Lifetime HD's, and they transferred the subscriptions. Reason: the HD's wouldn't play mp4. Other than that, I would never expect a transfer.
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #33
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Sorry, I was replying to the *original* poster.. and the thread is titled negatively.
Oh really?
The OP has not already used a grandfathered lifetime transfer. The OP is having some difficulties transferring an original grandfathered lifetime sub to his liking. The only mention of already using such a transfer was made by zenshadow whom you claim you were not responding to.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:23 AM   #34
HF444
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 14
For tvmaster2

Hi,

I just saw your comment dated 10-08-2013 about how you were able to get 2 Tivo HD's exchanged ( with lifetime as well ) because the HD's would not play mp4"s.

How did you accomplish this?
What did you say or who did you talk to etc. etc.

I have an HD with lifetime and I would love to be able to move" it upward in the Tivo food chain ( to a Premiere or maybe a Roamio ???? ).

Thank you for any assistance/ info you can provide.

HF
HF444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:14 AM   #35
bicker
Gruff
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 9,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You're trying to transfer service you paid $199 for 14 years ago, which is now valued at $400, and you're mad because you can't do it in such a way that you get a free Stream out of the deal too?
Good point. As consumers we sometimes have a hard time properly assessing our value as a "loyal" customer. Customer loyalty, in business, is measured like everything else in business, in terms of profit. A customer who buys a Roamio to replace their Premiere is a loyal customer. I just bought a Roamio to replace my Series 3 - that doesn't make me a loyal customer, worthy of excessive concern for my satisfaction above and beyond that of a first-time buyer. If anything, a first-time buyer might be worth more concern than I am, given I've already established a pattern of series-skipping in my "loyalty" to TiVo.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #36
lessd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 6,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Good point. As consumers we sometimes have a hard time properly assessing our value as a "loyal" customer. Customer loyalty, in business, is measured like everything else in business, in terms of profit. A customer who buys a Roamio to replace their Premiere is a loyal customer. I just bought a Roamio to replace my Series 3 - that doesn't make me a loyal customer, worthy of excessive concern for my satisfaction above and beyond that of a first-time buyer. If anything, a first-time buyer might be worth more concern than I am, given I've already established a pattern of series-skipping in my "loyalty" to TiVo.
Your correct that "loyal customer" should be relabeled as a customer that provides profit to TiVo, owning a lifetime TiVo for the last 6 years is not a customer that has provided any profit to TiVo in the last 2 of those years, are you loyal to TiVo ? Why, because you could have dumped your Lifetime TiVo and rented a cable co DVR, sometimes TiVo does give a good deal to long time customers, I had a out of warrantee TiVo that went bad (mother board) and the CSR was real nice and replaced the unit for free, even paying for the return shipping because I have been with TiVo over 10 years, that was a one time event that earned TiVo a good feeling from me, but it would probably never happen again and it would up the CSR you happened to get on the phone.
__________________
Les Daniels

_____________________________________________
3 Roamio Plus upgraded to 2Tb & 3Tb, and 2 Minis,
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:50 AM   #37
HF444
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 14
tvmaster2 are you out there

Hello tvmaster2,

are you out there?

please see message #34.

Thank you
HF444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #38
enofile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7
Okay, I wish to understand. When my wife purchased a Tivo as a gift for me in the year 2000, she was under the assumption it included a lifetime membership. However, I was just told, since I purchased two Tivo DVRs with no membership contract, my lifetime contract is effectively expired and I am basically a brand new customer. That "lifetime" expiration scares me, as it seems I have already experienced my demise.
enofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #39
jrtroo
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,525
It did not expire- do you still have the box? Has it called home in the last 6 months?
__________________
TiVo Owner
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #40
bradleys
It'll be fine....
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by enofile View Post
Okay, I wish to understand. When my wife purchased a Tivo as a gift for me in the year 2000, she was under the assumption it included a lifetime membership. However, I was just told, since I purchased two Tivo DVRs with no membership contract, my lifetime contract is effectively expired and I am basically a brand new customer. That "lifetime" expiration scares me, as it seems I have already experienced my demise.
There is no Lifetime expiration. If she actually purchased lifetime service for that original TiVo the service will stay in effect for the lifetime of that box. There is only one exception to this rule as outlined in a post above:

"We will allow you to transfer your service to a new receiver made by any manufacturer... any early customer who activated the TiVo service prior to today, January 21, 2000. We do, however, want to make clear that this is not a change of policy. This is a one time only exception that Customer Care has been empowered to make for our early customers"
__________________
TiVo S2 (Retired)
TiVo Series 3 (Sold)
TiVo HD (Sold)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #41
SullyND
L:27-31
 
SullyND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 7,637
It sounds to me like enofile has a lifetime box which has not called in. If he was getting MSD on his non-lifetime boxes, and the lifetime box has not called in, he would no longer get MSD on his non-lifetime boxes (though he may be eligible for the $99 lifetime on one of his other boxes)
__________________
Earl: A purpose is a great thing to have, it gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
Randy: So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Earl: Exactly.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #42
bradleys
It'll be fine....
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
It sounds to me like enofile has a lifetime box which has not called in. If he was getting MSD on his non-lifetime boxes, and the lifetime box has not called in, he would no longer get MSD on his non-lifetime boxes (though he may be eligible for the $99 lifetime on one of his other boxes)
MSD is predicated on a qualifying box that you paid full service price for.

According to the MSD discount FAQ's the qualifying lifetime box needs to have called home in the last 180 days.

So, if that is true. The lifetime service on the box has not expired, just it's eligibility as the original MSD unit. I would think that he should be able to hook it back up and force a call - if he still has the TiVo.


Quote:
Multi-Service Discount

We offer discounted TiVo service fees when you have more than one TiVo DVR on the same account. Call customer service at 1-877-367-8486 or log into your account on tivo.com for current offers.

Some restrictions that apply to the multi-service discount:
  • it applies to a maximum number of 5 TiVo DVRs,
  • it only applies to new TiVo service subscriptions added to your account (so your oldest subscription will always be at full price),
  • to be eligible, all TiVo DVRs must be registered to the same TiVo customer account,
  • if your full price subscription is cancelled or otherwise becomes ineligible, the oldest eligible TiVo service subscription on your account will become your new qualifying full price subscription (and will no longer receive the multi-service discount), and
  • for a Product Lifetime subscription to qualify you for the multi-service discount, the TiVo DVR to which it is attached must have connected to the TiVo service within the last 180 days.

__________________
TiVo S2 (Retired)
TiVo Series 3 (Sold)
TiVo HD (Sold)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 09-02-2014 at 11:20 AM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #43
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by enofile View Post
Okay, I wish to understand. When my wife purchased a Tivo as a gift for me in the year 2000, she was under the assumption it included a lifetime membership. However, I was just told, since I purchased two Tivo DVRs with no membership contract, my lifetime contract is effectively expired and I am basically a brand new customer. That "lifetime" expiration scares me, as it seems I have already experienced my demise.
Any TiVos you purchased,with or without a subscription of any kind to the TiVo service*, after your wife purchased that Series 1 (the only model available in 2000) would have no effect whatsoever on Product Lifetime Service which had been purchased for that Series 1, if PLS had been purchased for it.

Now, if PLS was purchased for that S1 prior to Jan 20, 2000 and then subsequently that PLS was moved to a different TiVo, and then eventually that different TiVo died, then that particular Product Lifetime Service subscription died with it.

Also, if PLS was purchased on or before Jan 20, 2000, it would have been eligible to be moved to another TiVo, but only once. It could not be moved from that second TiVo to a third one.


* (which is basically two things:

1. A license to use the software they wrote

and

2. The program guide information)
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |