TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
terryshelton

Replacement XL4 -> Refurbished Elite

Bought a new XL4 in January. Mid March started having major pixellation on numerous HD channels, some with total signal loss. It was intermittent and would effect different channels at different times, although there was a core of channels (707,709, 710) that were always unwatchable.

Comcast (San Francisco) was out four times. Signal always tested OK. They replaced the cable from their terminal on roof to equipment, replaced the cable card. Finally connected cable that went to XL4 to old Series 3 in bedroom and the Series 3 had pixellation. Reversed connections and connected cable from bedroom Series 3 to XL4 in bedroom and it was fine. That seemed to eliminate the cable as the source of the problem. Must say that Comcast was very aggressive in trying to find the problem.

Called Tivo and they sent replacement. Arrived today and to my surprise it was a refurbished Elite. I know the Elites became the XL4 about April, 2012.

So basically I have a refurbished Tivo that is at least 1+ year old. Who knows how long it's been sitting around or why it's been sitting around so long. I actually thought I was going to get another XL4. I didn't realize they would replace with an old refurbished unit.

My question is should I be concerned? Is this normal? I will be setting up tomorrow. I sure hope it works because I don't want to go through the replacement process again.

Thanks for reading...I know I went on a bit long.
terryshelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Refurbs as replacements are SOP, there's nothing to worry about IMO
Old 05-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Refurbs as replacements are SOP, there's nothing to worry about IMO
...except that he's now got an older unit. It may be refurbished, but it's still older than the one that was replaced. It may also be SOP, but that doesn't mean we have to like it. It was under warranty, and, in my opinion, TiVo should replace it with a brand new unit.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
...except that he's now got an older unit. It may be refurbished, but it's still older than the one that was replaced. It may also be SOP, but that doesn't mean we have to like it. It was under warranty, and, in my opinion, TiVo should replace it with a brand new unit.
The problem is that isn't the way it works, I can't think of that being the approach any company I've worked with has resolved it in decades.

The refurb while possibly older in age would most likely have almost no use on it other than the burn in, so if the runtime on an XL4 refurb or an Elite is both under an hour, how is that an issue? IMO it's not.

New unit replacements just don't happen, and while there are some folks like yourself that seem to insist on it, that doesn't change that manufacturers don't do it that way. I'd rather have a tested burned in refurb than something new that might die in a week.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'll take a refurb replacement over new unit since a refurb has typically had thorough testing done to it to make sure it works properly.

But ultimately, as long as it works properly(and is in excellent condition), I could not care less what I get as a replacement under warranty.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I guess we'll agree to disagree, then. I've never seen "proof" that a company tests its refurbs. Sure, they say that, but in reality? Meh...

Give me a new unit -- that's what I PAID FOR.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

There have been many reports of quick refurb failures here (and DOAs), so I seriously doubt that Tivo (or the company they're using) is doing anything more than powering up a box before shipping it out again.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
atmuscarella

I have no way of knowing what TiVo does when they refurbish a unit but my only experience with a refurbish unit was with my Series 3 and it was not good. It took returning 3 units before I got a 4th unit that worked out of the box. But the unit I finally did get has been good since then. If anyone would like to be amused you can read my post about the whole process.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=446663

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote