TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
artinnj

Cablevision and FiOS for TiVos

See a lot of messages about switching from Cablevision to FiOS, but was wondering if anyone has tried running their TiVos on Optimum and Internet from FiOS at the same time? Can they work over the same coax in your house?

I use my TiVo Minis over MoCA with Verizon today and hear that Cablevisison does not support MoCA routing. Would prefer not to run ethernet to all the Minis I have today. Cablevision still offers slower internet speeds than Verizon does.

The reasons for going to Cablevision are they still offer CableCARDS while Verizon refuses to issue new ones. Cablevision also offers HBO GO and similar access to premium channels without having to buy the full subscription, saving about $10/month per premium channel. Those saving on all the movie channels alone would pay for the separate Double Play subscription.

Is anyone running a similar setup in there house today?
artinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinnj View Post
The reasons for going to Cablevision are they still offer CableCARDS while Verizon refuses to issue new ones.
I really don't think that's true. I know that's what the CSR told you, but you're the first and only person to report this, and it would be an extremely big deal if it did happen. We'd be seeing it all over tech blogs, etc. I advise you to keep playing CSR roulette until you get someone semi-competent.

To address your question: I think it should be possible to mix MoCA Internet from one provider with TV from another over the same line, yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I really don't think that's true. I know that's what the CSR told you, but you're the first and only person to report this, and it would be an extremely big deal if it did happen. We'd be seeing it all over tech blogs, etc. I advise you to keep playing CSR roulette until you get someone semi-competent.
Agreed 100% Verizon getting out of the CableCARD business would be huge, and so far only the OP has heard of it, most likely via a misinformed CSR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
To address your question: I think it should be possible to mix MoCA Internet from one provider with TV from another over the same line, yes.
There's one version of that where I think it wouldn't work, FiOS for the TV's and STB's and internet from Cablevision since FiOS would need MOCA on the wire for their boxes (if the user had any in addition to the Tivo units)
Old 08-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
59er
TiVotee

And didn't someone tell the OP to just order his cable cards online from Verizon?
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Diana Collins

When we signed up with FiOS TV in May, there was no option to order Cablecards when starting new TV service - you had to call customer service. Once you have service, you can order Cablecards online (through the "Add or Return a box" option).

The CSR probably heard something about the Cablecard requirement in STBs being dropped from STELA and somehow spun that into "no new Cablecards."

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote