TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Tony Chick

Duplicate doesn't record if original fails

My XL4 missed recording Ripper Street on Saturday. For some reason, the first showing didn't record because it wasn't "Authorized" whatever that means, BBCA HD tunes in fine & nothing else was scheduled for that time. It then failed to record the reshowing at midnight because it was a duplicate.

Surely it should record a duplicate if it didn't record the original! it seems like a logic flaw to me
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Seems that the duplicate would have failed anyhow since the "authorized" issue was not resolved.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Chick View Post
My XL4 missed recording Ripper Street on Saturday. For some reason, the first showing didn't record because it wasn't "Authorized" whatever that means, BBCA HD tunes in fine & nothing else was scheduled for that time. It then failed to record the reshowing at midnight because it was a duplicate.

Surely it should record a duplicate if it didn't record the original! it seems like a logic flaw to me
The scheduler doesn't work that way.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Then it's broken - agree with Tony, this is a scheduler bug. Any failed recording (not cancelled by user) should be re-recorded until successful, because you never had a recording for the dupe logic to kick in.

I too have seen the rare 'Not Authorized' failure which I assume is due to the Elite's known tuner flakiness.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
compnurd

It should record on another night. I had this happen for the Vikings on Sunday. It didnt record for some reason after the bible due to user action. It did not record the later showing due to being a duplicate but it did record last night
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
It should record on another night. I had this happen for the Vikings on Sunday. It didnt record for some reason after the bible due to user action. It did not record the later showing due to being a duplicate but it did record last night
Yes, it seems to take the scheduler some time to notice that the original entry didn't produce a recording. My experience is with "no signal" missed recordings, but I think the scheduler will eventually retry the episode anytime no entry was left in My Shows.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Then it's broken - agree with Tony, this is a scheduler bug. Any failed recording (not cancelled by user) should be re-recorded until successful, because you never had a recording for the dupe logic to kick in.

I too have seen the rare 'Not Authorized' failure which I assume is due to the Elite's known tuner flakiness.
So you expect the scheduler to run every time a recording fails, for whatever reason? In this case in particular, it is supposed to assume that the next time it tries to record, the authorization problem (admittedly, apparently non-existent) will be fixed. At most, it is a design limitation. It is not a "bug".

The real question is this case is - Why did it get a "(Channel) Not Authorized" when it tried to record?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The real question is this case is - Why did it get a "(Channel) Not Authorized" when it tried to record?
I've seen this on both my previous S3's and my current Premieres. My guess is that occasionally there's some miscommunication between our cablecard devices and the cable company's headend.

If I'm tuning manually and receive this error, I can just resubmit the tune and will have success. I wish that Tivo would do the same thing--all the software needs to do is recognize that the previous tuning attempt failed and try again.
DaveDFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
If I'm tuning manually and receive this error, I can just resubmit the tune and will have success. I wish that Tivo would do the same thing--all the software needs to do is recognize that the previous tuning attempt failed and try again.
That would be the proper way to address this, rather than modding the scheduler to create a new entry which might fail with the same problem. Better yet, figure out why this is happening and FIX IT.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
So you expect the scheduler to run every time a recording fails, for whatever reason?
Yep, not seeing the big deal here, it runs on a regular basis anyway. Limit it to once an hour if you want.

But as you said, better to continuously retry the tune for a minute or so, then if it succeeds perhaps mark the recording as clipped due to transient tuner fail.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
tomhorsley

Quote:
At most, it is a design limitation. It is not a "bug".
What utter nonsense. It didn't record the show. It is supposed to record the show. It should try again till it records it. If it doesn't try again, that is a bug for God's sake.

Just because there are probably other bugs as well that prevented it from recording doesn't excuse this from being a bug.

It isn't like it has anything better to do. They don't even put an off switch on the things, it might as well keep trying to record. It isn't going to use any electrons it wasn't using anyway.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
What utter nonsense. It didn't record the show. It is supposed to record the show. It should try again till it records it. If it doesn't try again, that is a bug for God's sake.

Just because there are probably other bugs as well that prevented it from recording doesn't excuse this from being a bug.

It isn't like it has anything better to do. They don't even put an off switch on the things, it might as well keep trying to record. It isn't going to use any electrons it wasn't using anyway.
Talk abut utter nonsense. It is in no way shape or form a bug in the scheduler. A bug is when s/w doesn't do what is was designed to do. The TiVo was NEVER designed to do what you want it to do. You are not considering all of the ramifications of the change you are asking for. For one, does it attempt to schedule a future showing even if it has to bump a previously scheduled but lower priority recording, even though that attempt is likely to fail with the same issue? Then once again trying to schedule a future showing and possibly bumping something else. You could end up losing multiple recordings of other shows as it continues to fail on this one show.

The "bug" here is that IT DOESN'T TUNE PROPERLY.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
tomhorsley

Quote:
You are not considering all of the ramifications of the change you are asking for.
It will try to record different showings already for different reasons (just not for this one reason). It already has algorithms for that. Nothing should prevent it from applying the same algorithm here. Suppose I didn't ask it to record till after the 1st showing. It does something with that request. It could do the same here.

Did you write the scheduler or something? I can't imagine any other reason to defend it...
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Did you write the scheduler or something? I can't imagine any other reason to defend it...
No, I didn't write the scheduler and I am not "defending" but I give up. I cannot deal with someone who seeks to treat the symptom rather than cure the disease and who is too clueless to understand that his "solution" risks exacerbating the situation. Also someone who thinks the definition of a "bug" is when something doesn't work the way he thinks it should work.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
compnurd

Quote:
No, I didn't write the scheduler and I am not "defending" but I give up. I cannot deal with someone who seeks to treat the symptom rather than cure the disease and who is too clueless to understand that his "solution" risks exacerbating the situation. Also someone who thinks the definition of a "bug" is when something doesn't work the way he thinks it should work.
+10
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

This type of feature (as with many others) has been requested/suggested in the past. Auto Conflict Resolution is another you would think exists. Since TiVo can determine that there is a conflict it should be 'smart' enough to find that conflicted program in the future and record it. But unless someone programs it into the software it does not exists and it is not a bug.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
This type of feature (as with many others) has been requested/suggested in the past. Auto Conflict Resolution is another you would think exists. Since TiVo can determine that there is a conflict it should be 'smart' enough to find that conflicted program in the future and record it. But unless someone programs it into the software it does not exists and it is not a bug.
If a conflict exists, TiVo will record the higher priority season pass(es). But if the lower priority SP has another showing of the same episode later (or if the same episode repeats earlier or later on a channel with an even lower SP priority), that one will be scheduled and recorded (unless it again conflicts with something of higher priority). Therefore higher priority should be given to shows that aren't repeated, and lower priority should be given to shows that repeat several times, even if those happen to be your favorite shows.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Therefore higher priority should be given to shows that aren't repeated, and lower priority should be given to shows that repeat several times, even if those happen to be your favorite shows.
To make this absolutely clear, he means that the *user* should give higher priority to shows that do not repeat in the Season Pass manager.

For example, put OTA network shows higher in the list (lower SP number) than cable channel shows.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote