TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #931
ilovereality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
I recall some discussion about possibly losing it if the unit does not connect for six months. I could be very wrong about that, and hopefully I will be corrected by the next poster if I am.
1st I've heard of that. I've seen posts from people that have turned them on after more than a year and they still worked - but I don't have an 'official' post to point to.
ilovereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:23 AM   #932
MrSinatra

hi guys,

i just got a DRT800 off ebay, that does NOT have a lifetime sub.

i already have an XL and a series2 both with lifetime subs.

my idea was to get this so i could xfer stuff from them to the 800 to burn to dvd, and to set up a third set as a place to watch what the other two have.

will i run into any problems with this? i was told i would not need any kind of subscription with the DRT800 to do this, is that correct?

thx for any replies!
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #933
classicsat
Astute User

The Humax DVD recorder models need a sub to do much of anything.

You cannot transfer over network and write to DVD. You can only make DVDs from "locally" recorded content. On any model TiVo, network transfers require it have an active full subscription.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #934
iwbyte

@MrSinatra - your only workaround would be to hook the output cables of the other DVRs to the input RCA jacks on the HUMAX and record it that way - it would be real-time, and certainly won't match the quality, but it may work. I'd only do this as a last resort since its pretty clunky.

We did it for transferring video from our mini-tape camcorder to the HUMAX, then to DVD.

I don't know if it will work w/out a subscription, tho.
iwbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #935
shwru980r

Look for another used one online with lifetime service and keep this one for spare parts.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #936
bajabingo

i want one
bajabingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #937
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabingo View Post
i want one
I'll sell you mine. Works perfectly. Needs subscription. Make me an offer.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #938
nlazarow

Got a HUMAX DRT400. Has anyone else had problems with the unit
crashing during a DVD write? Is it a power supply problem?
nlazarow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #939
nlazarow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
You won't be able to watch HD TV through the TIVO. You'll have to have a direct line from the cable box to the TV's HD input, and then another line from the cable box to the HUMAX, and then the HUMAX to the TV's SD input. You can watch live tv through Tivo in SD, but actual live TV in HD by flipping between the HD and SD inputs on your tv.
My (Series 2 DRT400) box has an s-video input on the rear, so HD channels can
be transmitted from the cable box to the tivo that way.
nlazarow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #940
Hank
AC•FTW

I'm pretty sure that s-video and HD are two completely different things. These HUMAX tivos (in fact, all "Series 2" tivos) only know about SD video, so regardless of the incoming s-video signal, it will only record and playback SD video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video
Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #941
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I'm pretty sure that s-video and HD are two completely different things. These HUMAX tivos (in fact, all "Series 2" tivos) only know about SD video, so regardless of the incoming s-video signal, it will only record and playback SD video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video
True, but if you use the component inputs and set the HD cable box properly it will record the widescreen anamorphically and if you use best quality for all recordings you get essentially DVD quality SD, which isn't bad, for SD. True it is not and never will be HD, but depending on the TV set and viewing distance it can be good enough for casual use. If someone wants to tide themselves over using one of these until the day they truly go HD, it is certainly up to the task.

The DVD burner TiVo DVRs at best record in 720x480 which is DVD compliant and one reason that stretching to 16x9 from a Humax will look better than doing the same from a non-DVD series 2 TiVo which records 640x480.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:26 AM   #942
Hank
AC•FTW

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #943
Mensaguy8

Humax DVR-800 replacement DVD-R/W drive

After five years of 5x weekly use, (my wife loves her Humax-800) the dvd burner in this unit is failing. I've seen many posts about dvd drive replacement, but have not seen a recent post regarding any current technology replacements.

I've removed the failing drive and given it a thorough cleaning. Even if that works for a while, I can see that I'm going to have to replace the drive pretty soon.

Is there a list of DVD drive models that are known to work well as replacements?

TIA
Mensaguy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #944
mmorgan26

DVD copies

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make copies of DVDs that have been burned on a Humax DVR-800? (The program is no longer on the TiVo, of course.) I tried using Roxio but the quality of the copy was notably weaker, and it left several inches of space at the top and bottom of the screen. Any suggestions welcome, thanks!!
mmorgan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #945
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Mensaguy8,

The DVD writer in the Humax Tivo is either a Pioneer DVR-108 or a Pioneer DVR-109. I've successfully replaced the drive with a similar models, up to the DVR-112. I've seen some reports of using the DVR-115. These might be hard to find nowadays, as they have the IDE or Parallel ATA interface. I found some on ebay. The trick is getting one that isn't worn out. You also need the model with a tray, the trayless models may not work in the TiVo.

Good luck,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #946
Mensaguy8

Humax DVR-800 replacement DVD R/W drive

I have found a source for the Pioneer DVR-111DBK 16x DL-DVD R/W +/-. It is an IDE interface drive. Any idea why this drive wouldn't work in the Humax? Would I have to change the firmware?

Note that this drive is refurbished w/90-day warranty. Price is about $35

TIA
Mensaguy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #947
slaponte
The Iron Monkey

After many years of great service, mine is having a couple issues :

- rubber legs under it have perished (turned to dust). Anybody know where to find?

- It has started doing sporadic reboots.

I am going to open it up, clean it up, etc. Make sure fans are working ok. This was upgraded with a 320Gb hard disk so maybe it has come to its time (to redo disk)... Or at least a full reset.

The DVRW still works fine. Has lifetime, so not letting it go until it totally goes. :-P

TiVo Series 2 DVR (Orig 40 Hrs, Now 340Hrs)
Humax DRT-800 (Orig 80 Hrs, Now 380Hrs)
slaponte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #948
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaponte View Post
After many years of great service, mine is having a couple issues :

- rubber legs under it have perished (turned to dust). Anybody know where to find?

- It has started doing sporadic reboots.

I am going to open it up, clean it up, etc. Make sure fans are working ok. This was upgraded with a 320Gb hard disk so maybe it has come to its time (to redo disk)... Or at least a full reset.

The DVRW still works fine. Has lifetime, so not letting it go until it totally goes. :-P
Do you still have a backup or the original HD from which to burn a new one? These will take up to 1TB and maybe 2TB.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #949
JCB1

Funny how they stopped making these because of the DVD burners but now the new TIVO's will port programs to your ipdad or iphone...

My Humax is still holding on as well... I am on the original HD but I am starting to get some "glitches" in my recording which I suspect is the drive wearing out after all this time. I guess I should check the early parts of the forum and see how to replace it.

I have replaced my DVD burner once and it has just recently died - so I am trying to find a new burner that will work -

But other than that this has been a real work horse that just keeps going and going...
JCB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:00 AM   #950
rayman2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
I though I might post a thread on here for Humax owners, since we don't have our own forum. Might be nice to have a single thread identifying owners, problems, and tricks/solutions related to our unit. I've seen a lot of different posts on here involving Humax specific issues, so why don't we try and get them all in one place to make it easier for everybody. Post up if you got a Humax DVD
HUMAX Owner about to replace drive.
rayman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #951
Hank
AC•FTW

Funny timing for the thread bump.

My 89 year old uncle gave me his LaserDisc player and a stack of LDa. He wants me to convert a couple of them to DVDs. I'm planning on using my shelved and dusty old Humax for this.

Has anyone here done something like this before with the Humax? Any tips or suggestions