TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #31
sar840t2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander777 View Post
Yes, It was real. I submitted my info to him and received the following response via email from TiVo:

... Your Premiere unit recently received our most current software release 20.2.2.1...
Did that fix it? I didn't get a similar email from them.
sar840t2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #32
xander777

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar840t2 View Post
Did that fix it? I didn't get a similar email from them.
Yes, it fixed the problem.
xander777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #33
xander777

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Who said anything about a conspiracy?

I believe he was real, but it has been tradition that TiVo does not allow their customer support people to post to this forum as represenatives.
It doesn't surprise me that Jake's posts were deleted.
I apologize. Caught me at a bad time. No excuses.
xander777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #34
sar840t2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander777 View Post
Yes, it fixed the problem.
Good to hear. My two Premieres are still stuck on 20.2.2-01-2-xxx (and I just verified one of them has the problem today).

Ah well, it sounds like they have it figured out, and it's not affecting the "current" tuner or any of my recordings so I'm not too concerned.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #35
BHyde

I love my Tivo, BUT . . . this "stalling" problem is getting worse . . .

I haven't seen any posts on this problem for a few days, and hope that means the problem has been resolved for the rest of you.

But for me, it seems to be getting worse. Now two tuners on the four-tuner device (the one they sold as a Premiere Elite, then renamed) are sometimes stuck on the black screen. And I am also now seeing the problem on my two-tuner Premiere XL.

I finally called Tivo support yesterday, and the person to whom I spoke was courteous, but not helpful. He basically told me that he had added the information about me having problems on my two-tuner Tivo, but offered no idea about a solution. He suggested I call back in a couple of days.

For years I've had both Comcast using a Tivo HD DVR (first the Series 3, then Premiere XL, then Premiere Elite) and DirecTV using an HR-DVR. I much preferred using the Tivo, but DirecTV had way more HD and the quality of its HD DVRs kept improving, though still not up to Tivo simplicity. Comcast has gradually added more HD so that it has now has more than DirecTV, with the exception of premium movie channels, where Comcast recently reduced the number as part of adding many additional other HD channels. It also does not provide BEin in HD. When the four-tuner Tivos and HD guide were released, I cut way back on my DirecTV subscription - basically just to keep SundayTicket and Fox Soccer HD. THen Comcast added Fox Soccer HD. So my reasons for keeping DirecTV reduced. With a DVR, there is less importance in having multiple premium movie channels because you can record and save movies at times you wouldn't actually be watching TV - although that doesn't mean it's nice to have the extra channels. Most of the time I've done alright since Comcast reduced the number of HD premium movie channels.

I had been planning, when the pro football season ended, to cancel DirecTV.

But this problem with the Tivo stuttering has got me down. So I'm reconsidering. DirecTV has its new five-tuner device - although it doesn't seem to be quite as user friendly as the Tivo - I do like having recordings go on all four tuners all the time.

And dealing with DirecTV customer service reps is always so much better than dealing with the people at Comcast customer service, who never seem to know anything. Plus the Comcast bills are infuriating - Comcast is charging for services it tells our state utility agency it provides for free, but I can't get Comcast to do anything.

So . . . the upshot may be to say goodby to Tivo and Comcast.

Hopefully, the stalling issue will get solved. But how long do I wait?
BHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #36
beejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHyde View Post
I haven't seen any posts on this problem for a few days, and hope that means the problem has been resolved for the rest of you.
I'm still on 20.2.2, but the problem seems to have gone away for me. I check every morning to see and haven't had the problem for over a week. Before that it seemed to happen every day.
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #37
sar840t2

Quote:
...But this problem with the Tivo stuttering has got me down...
"Stuttering" doesn't sound like the same issue I was describing. That said, a few people have reported getting version 20.2.2.1 (not 20.2.2-01) and the stalling problem has gone away for them.

I received an email from support a few days ago saying that the new version had been "pushed" to my TiVos (not sure of the actual terminology they used), but it doesn't appear to have been installed yet so I can't verify the fix for myself.

Mike
Old 12-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #38
BHyde

It sounds like we have experienced the same problem. Instead of "stuttering," I probably should have kept using the word "stalling," since that word has commonly being used on this forum to describe the problem of turning to a tuner and finding it blank. Your earlier description below perfectly matches the problem I've been seeing, but it has spread to two tuners sometimes on my four-tuner "Elite" box:

"The behavior (intermittently) is that if I switch to one of the other tuners, either with the Live TV button, or using the Info button and then selecting a different tuner, the video output is black and the progress bar is showing the green triangle to indicate it's playing. The channel banner displays the name of the current show on that channel. I can rewind a little and start playback, and it plays until it gets back to the point it was at when I switched to that tuner, and freezes (I presume if I were to stare at it long enough it would go to a black display)."

I hope your update solves your problem and that, when I get it, does so for me as we'll.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #39
m_jonis

well 20.2.2.1 didn't fix anything here. lost several recordings and constantly having to reboot. obviously a problem with the tivo software.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #40
BHyde

Blank Tuner

Is anyone else still having this problem?

I had gotten a recent message from Tivo Customer Support saying that Tivo believed it had solved the problem, but watching the inauguration today I saw that it's still happening on my four-tuner Tivo. Cycling through my four tuners, one of them was black, on the local NBC station. But going back, there was a 30-minute recorded buffer that I could see, of events that had been recorded a couple of hours earlier.

I also have a two-tuner Premiere box that I watch less frequently; so I don't know if the problem is still recurring on it.

I called Tivo, and now they want me to get a different cable card to see if that solves the problem.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #41
beejay

Quote:
Is anyone else still having this problem?
I still see it, but, for whatever reason, I am still on 20.2.2
S2DT - 186 hours

TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #42
m_jonis

Still getting the issue. What's odd is that last night, it would not tune HGTV HD no matter what. The Tuning Adapter status showed that tuner 0 was "tuned", but everything else (or almost all the settings) were blank or: NA

This morning it was tuned.

When I tuned to it, all I'd see was a black screen with the "pause" button in the bottom.

It NEVER does this on the non-Premiere units I have (I have 3 TivoHD without major issues although occasionally get the "channel could not be tuned, press Select" issue that happens with the SDV channels).

I'm about ready to call Tivo and cancel my service and go to the nasty TW DVR. Better to have a crappy DVR that records stations vs. a Tivo that won't record things because it cannot tune.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #43
cityboy72

Trouble tickets

Hello. We are having the same issue on our XL4.

Call Tivo and open a trouble ticket.

Thats the only way Tivo software engineers can keep track of these problems and research fixes.

Thanks!
cityboy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #44
DaveDFW

Tivo is supposedly working on this issue, at least on the four-tuner boxes. A representative posted the following:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...84#post9503984
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #45
sar840t2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
Tivo is supposedly working on this issue, at least on the four-tuner boxes. A representative posted the following:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...84#post9503984
I'm not convinced that is the same issue. The issue I described in this thread can be fixed by changing channels, and doesn't appear to affect any tuners that are being used for live TV or for recordings. The issue(s) people are talking about in the "Losing all channels" thread appears to persist until you reboot - much more of a problem than mine.

Oh, and to close the loop somewhat, I *did* finally get an email from TiVo in response to the ticket opened on my behalf by the disappearing Jacob (Jake?), telling me my boxes would receive a fix, but to the best of my knowledge I still don't have the fix and am still on 20.2.2-01-2-xxx.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #46
bmusic

I'm having the same problem, where when switching tuners, the TV screen goes blank. My work around has been cycling the TV and receiver.

Today, I also noticed the video, but not the audio cutting out when trying to watch something through Netflix.

I have a XL4. I suspect it's something with the HDMI video.
bmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #47
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy72 View Post
Hello. We are having the same issue on our XL4.

Call Tivo and open a trouble ticket.

Thats the only way Tivo software engineers can keep track of these problems and research fixes.

Thanks!
While that may be prudent, the problem is that tech support will tell you all sorts of stories like:
1) It's your power outlet
2) It's your cable strength (it's either too weak/too strong)
3) Reboot your Tivo
4) It's the HDMI cable
etc etc etc.

I, for one, don't want to spend an hour on the phone going over stupid things that have nothing to do with the issue just because Tivo support has a script they have to follow.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #48
jeffm1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
While that may be prudent, the problem is that tech support will tell you all sorts of stories like:
1) It's your power outlet
2) It's your cable strength (it's either too weak/too strong)
3) Reboot your Tivo
4) It's the HDMI cable
etc etc etc.

I, for one, don't want to spend an hour on the phone going over stupid things that have nothing to do with the issue just because Tivo support has a script they have to follow.
I have an XL4 with Time Warner and the dreaded TA, and I have the same issue. I called Time Warner and they said to replace the TA, Go Figure...

Since DVR Diagnostics said "not tuned wrong ta state" for the tuner that was having the problem at the moment I agreed with them at first, but after digging into the multiple threads on this issue I don't think the TA has a thing to do with it.

I'm going to replace the TA to humor Tivo support, but I have no confidence it will change a thing.
jeffm1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #49
sar840t2

This morning both of my TiVos proudly announced that I had received the "Fall 2012 update". I'm sure I got that already last fall (20.2.2-01).

I'm now at 20.2.2.1 (which is what TiVo support promised me in December). Maybe they did another small update and forgot to change the title for the announcement. Maybe since I was on the "priority" list for the real Fall 2012 update I got a preliminary version when it was originally released and they only just caught that. Who knows.

Anyway, maybe this will fix the stalling (which was still happening on 20.2.2-01 as recently as yesterday).

Mike
Old 05-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #50
beejay

The "-01" is not part of the release number. (Doesn't it now show 20.2.2.1-01 for you?)

I did get the same "Fall 2012" update today. This what most people got months ago. It's been so long that I can't remember what gets changed but I don't recall it being anything I cared about.

I did have the "stalling". It didn't particularly worry me but I'll watch to see if I still have it.
S2DT - 186 hours

TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #51
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
The "-01" is not part of the release number. (Doesn't it now show 20.2.2.1-01 for you?)

I did get the same "Fall 2012" update today. This what most people got months ago. It's been so long that I can't remember what gets changed but I don't recall it being anything I cared about.

I did have the "stalling". It didn't particularly worry me but I'll watch to see if I still have it.
Some TPs still had 20.2.2 and some had the full 20.2.2.1, all my TP-4 have 20.2.2.1 from the time I first set them up. I went to the TiVo priority list and for my older TP-4 (Oct 2012) I was told that it was already on the list, my two newer ones went on the list without problems.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #52
sar840t2

Ignoring the -01, both TiVos went from the old Fall 2012 version - 20.2.2 (*) to the new Fall 2012 version - 20.2.2.1.

* I can't be sure of the previous version, just going by what I entered in my original post, but I am positive that previous version was the Fall 2012 version we all were excited about in the fall (I forget what was so exciting now).