TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
blumet

Time Warner Cable Box and Tivo's DVR feature?

Hello,
following dilemma and pardon the question (woman at work!)

I moved from NYC to Hawaii, where unfortunately the tivo culture isn't that developed. In New York it was a blast but now...
I got the cable card + tuner through time warner. Disaster. Few channels supported by the card, not worth it.
I had to get a time warner cable box (no DVR), and I still have my Tivo lying around.

Question:
Can I connect the time warner cable box to the tivo, so that I can record something? The box is a receiver, so theoretically it should be able to pass the signal to the tivo, which in return can record?

Mahalo to all the boys out there...
blumet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:48 AM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I have read other horror stories regarding Oceanic TWC, But they are bound by FCC rules to support CableCARDs and TiVo. If you are having issues and can't resolve them file complaints with the FCC.

Also see the following thread.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hlight=Oceanic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
jrtroo
User

This seems a clear violation (even though we don't have all of the facts). I urge the OP to file a formal FCC complaint and push them to get it right. You deserve better.

It would also not hurt to let TiVo know what is happening.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
HiKent

Hi,

I just left Hawaii for the mainland. I had a Series 3 ever since they came out & it worked fine. The biggest problem is the lack of HD programming from TWC. My Mother-in-law had straight cable box & we got same HD programming on the TiVo except for the channel 1000 (Hawaii scenery).

The annoying thing was the the radio channels come in with cable card, but not with cable-card + tuning adapter. Annoying, but that's what pandora's for.

Sounds like you need to get a tuning adapter to go with your cablecard. You can actually pick them up at any of the TWC offices (at least I was able to get one in Hawaii Kai & Ala moana shopping center).

Good luck & enjoy the islands.

Kent
HiKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiKent View Post
Hi,

I just left Hawaii for the mainland. I had a Series 3 ever since they came out & it worked fine. The biggest problem is the lack of HD programming from TWC. My Mother-in-law had straight cable box & we got same HD programming on the TiVo except for the channel 1000 (Hawaii scenery).

The annoying thing was the the radio channels come in with cable card, but not with cable-card + tuning adapter. Annoying, but that's what pandora's for.

Sounds like you need to get a tuning adapter to go with your cablecard. You can actually pick them up at any of the TWC offices (at least I was able to get one in Hawaii Kai & Ala moana shopping center).

Good luck & enjoy the islands.

Kent

They have very little in the way of HD channels, but still have gone SDV?

Curious.

Maybe they're trying to avoid spending money on laying better quality cable.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
jasonoki

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumet View Post
Hello,

I moved from NYC to Hawaii, where unfortunately the tivo culture isn't that developed. In New York it was a blast but now...
I got the cable card + tuner through time warner. Disaster. Few channels supported by the card, not worth it.
I had to get a time warner cable box (no DVR), and I still have my Tivo lying around.

Question:
Can I connect the time warner cable box to the tivo, so that I can record something? The box is a receiver, so theoretically it should be able to pass the signal to the tivo, which in return can record?

If your tivo is not a tivo Premiere xl4 you can hook it up to the cable for analog programing.
jasonoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:57 AM   #7
SirMontego

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumet View Post
Hello,

Question:

I live in Honolulu, Hawaii. I have a Premiere XL with Digital Cable, the HD Entertainment Pak, a cable card, a tuning adapter, and the sports package.

See my thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hlight=Oceanic

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "few channels supported by the card". I get all the HD stations the Oceanic DVR got except for the on demand stations (I used to have the Oceanic DVR). Here's the station list: http://www.timewarnercable.com/Hawai...ge1=&Zip=96813

Oceanic's setup was flawless. They knew exactly what they were doing, they sent me everything I needed, and (after waiting 30 minutes to get a live body on the phone) they were very informative with the tech support. The only reason I called in for support was because I didn't know I had to turn the tuning adapter ON. Again, that was my fault.

In the four months I been using Tivo with oceanic, I've only had one problem: my tuning adapter needed to be restarted once.

To make it clear, I get the following HD stations:

1000 Scenic Hawaii HD
1003 KHON (Fox) HD
1005 KFVE (myNetworkTV) HD
1006 KITV (ABC) HD
1007 KGMB (CBS) HD
1008 KHNL (NBC) HD
1010 KHET (PBS) HD
1012 OC Sports HD
1013 OC Sports Enhanced
1015 OC16 On Demand
1016 OC16 HD
1027 KPXO HD
1107 MSNBC HD
1108 Fox Business Network HD
1109 Fox News Channel HD
1111 CNN Headline News HD
1113 CNN High Definition
1116 CNBC HD
1118 Bloomberg TV HD
1121 The Weather Channel HD
1132 Jewelry TV HD
1153 QVC HD
1208 MLB Network HD
1210 NBC Sports Network HD
1212 The Outdoor Channel HD
1214 HD Speed Channel
1216 HD Golf
1219 ESPN U HD
1222 ESPN High Definition
1224 ESPN2 High Definition
1225 ESPN News High Definition
1226 Fox Sports West HD
1228 PrimeTicket HD
1230 Fox Soccer HD
1231 Fox Soccer Plus HD
1239 ESPN Goal Line HD
1242 NBA TV HD
1247 CBS College Sports HD
1248 Big Ten HD
1250 Oceanic SURF Channel HD
1255 OCSports PPV
1321 Food Network High Definition
1322 Cooking Channel HD
1323 Home & Garden Television High Definition
1325 Travel Channel HD
1327 The History Channel High Definition
1328 H2 HD
1329 Animal Planet
1331 TLC HD
1332 Velocity
1333 Discovery HD
1335 Hub HD
1337 Science HD
1339 Smithsonian Channel HD
1341 BBC America HD
1347 National Geographic Channel HD
1437 G4 HD
1440 Cartoon Network HD
1442 ABC Family HD
1444 Disney High Definition
1445 Disney XD HD
1448 HD Lifetime Network
1449 LMN HD
1451 WE: Women's Entertainment HD
1452 Hallmark Channel HD
1453 Hallmark Movie Channel HD
1545 Comedy Central HD
1547 A&E High Definition
1548 Biography Channel HD
1549 E! Entertainment HD
1550 Style HD
1551 TBS High Definition
1553 TNT HD
1554 FX HD
1555 USA HD
1557 HD Syfy
1559 Spike TV HD
1560 Bravo HD
1561 Nat Geo WILD HD
1565 Crime & Investigation Network HD
1593 Palladia
1602 Turner Classic Movies HD
1603 MavTV
1605 Universal High Definition
SirMontego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
SirMontego

By any chance, when you had the Time Warner Oceanic cable card in your Tivo and the turning adapter connected, did you get the following message when you tuned to an HD station that wasn't "supported"?

"Channel not available. Contact your local cable provider for more information."

If so, your tuning adapter was probably not turned on.

Last edited by SirMontego : 08-17-2012 at 04:20 AM.
SirMontego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
sdog1

SirMontego:

I also live in Hawaii and have a Tivo HD with Oceanic Cable with HD service. Important to point out that the number of channels is much more limited with Tivo HD. A large number of HD channels like Bloomberg, TWC, History, Travel, Biography do not work.

Also, on your list you reported receiving on demand channel 1015. Can you confirm that is the case.
sdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdog1 View Post
SirMontego:

I also live in Hawaii and have a Tivo HD with Oceanic Cable with HD service. Important to point out that the number of channels is much more limited with Tivo HD. A large number of HD channels like Bloomberg, TWC, History, Travel, Biography do not work.
That should not be the case. A Tivo HD should be able to tune anything that a Premiere can.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:58 AM   #11
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
That should not be the case. A Tivo HD should be able to tune anything that a Premiere can.
In the case of TWC Oceanic Cable this is probably true.

But the TiVo HD cannot tune MPEG4 (H.264) while the Premieres can.
Case in point - Cox Communications Plus Package channels.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote