TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #151
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
It also seems weird that Michonne wouldn't realize, with all she's been through and learned about zombies on her own, that their guts would act as a masking agent. Ostensibly, that's one of the few reasons she had her two slave zombies, to fool other zombies.
Guts mask her her scent, not live slave zombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptnut View Post
I thought the whole reason Michonne had "pets" was the mask the scent. If thats true, she should know that zombie guts would mask her scent too. Am I missing something?
You are right about one thing: if live zombies masked her scent she would have already known that their guts would to. But live zombies on a chain does Not keep one safe from other zombies, only dead zombie guts.

Quote:
Nope, that's my take on it as well.
Then explain how any zombie can detect a human that is camouflaged by another zombie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And again, with her pet zombies she never needed to experiment with smearing herself in zombie intestines. Maybe she just never had reason to find out that zombies didn't have to be "live" to mask living human scent from other zombies.

She was clearly surprised, so for whatever reason, she didn't know.
"live" zombies don't mask human scent. If they did, no zombies would be attracted to a human who was already near a zombie.

Quote:
God dammit Jim, will you actually read what I'm saying??? It's a combination of factors. It's not just "having a zombie near you".

You said Michonne dragging live zombies made her undetectable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
I feel like you missed some scenes with Michonne. We definitely have seen her walk close to or among zombies.

Also, we have quite compelling evidence that zombies don't detect humans who have zombie guts on them. We also know that zombies would have to smell pretty bad.

It makes a lot more sense that having bleeding zombies nearby and being quiet means you are relatively undetectable than her being "immune" (which isn't even the right word for what is being described) and thus undetectable.
I have not seen any scene where Michonne walked among zombies. That is until this episode when she had guts on her. I agree zombies don't detect humans who have guts on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I totally agree with this. We have NEVER (I urge somebody to point to a scene that proves otherwise) seen her walk undetected among zombies with immuity or any indication to that.

What we HAVE seen is that being among zombies does NOT mask you from other zombies. Therefore...I conclude that the simple act of having 2 zombies changed to you would NOT allow you to be undetected.

Perhaps there might be a certain element of camaflauge where their scent would slighty mask you from a single walker, but we don't have any proof of that.
Thank You!
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #152
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
You said Michonne dragging live zombies made her undetectable.
You're still not listening! I said it was a combination of factors, not just having zombies near you.

I also said that I'm surprised it took Michonne this long to figure out the guts part, since she already knew the masking part.

Ugh, I'm out.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #153
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
I have not seen any scene where Michonne walked among zombies. That is until this episode when she had guts on her. I agree zombies don't detect humans who have guts on them.
Ah, sorry, I thought you were arguing that she was "immune" as others did in this thread. You are just suggesting that we don't know that she was undetectable (or harder to detect) at all, correct? I could swear we saw some scenes in the opening episode to indicate otherwise but I could be mistaken.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #154
pmyers

Quote:
...Ugh, I'm out.

C'mon now...we all know better than that
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #155
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Did I make a wrong turn and land in the Shark Tank thread?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #156
tiams

Quote:
Ah, sorry, I thought you were arguing that she was "immune" as others did in this thread. You are just suggesting that we don't know that she was undetectable (or harder to detect) at all, correct? I could swear we saw some scenes in the opening episode to indicate otherwise but I could be mistaken.
No, I wasn't addressing the notion that she is immune. I was arguing that simply dragging live zombies with you does not mask human scent, only being covered in dead zombies and guts masks scent.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #157
tiams

Quote:

Ugh, I'm out.
Promise?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #158
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

No, I wasn't addressing the notion that she is immune. I was arguing that simply dragging live zombies with you does not mask human scent, only being covered in dead zombies and guts masks scent.
As I said above, I don't think the slaves mask scent. I think they mask her presence because other zombies don't see her slaves chasing her so they have no reason to chase either. This, they never get close enough to worry about scent.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #159
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
As I said above, I don't think the slaves mask scent. I think they mask her presence because other zombies don't see her slaves chasing her so they have no reason to chase either. This, they never get close enough to worry about scent.
I could see some merit to that. You're assumption is that walkers "alert" other walkers and the slaves prevent that alert from happening..it isn't about scent.

Would you assume that if a zombie did get close enough to smell Michonne, that the walker would still attack her even if her slaves were present?
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #160
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I could see some merit to that. You're assumption is that walkers "alert" other walkers and the slaves prevent that alert from happening..it isn't about scent.

Would you assume that if a zombie did get close enough to smell Michonne, that the walker would still attack her even if her slaves were present?
I was just popping in to suggest that it was never about scent.

That was an early assumption that people here just started accepting with nothing revealed on the show to confirm it. If scent were the zombies' tracking method, one would expect that there would be a close-up of a zombie suddenly sniffing the air to locate their prey. But they are in various stages of decomposition, and some don't even have noses. Scent is transmitted from nostril hairs to the brain. A rotten face without a nose does not have nostril hairs. And a nose clogged with dirt and blood clots would not transmit scent, and (thankfully) we have not seen walkers constantly picking their noses to keep them maintained and in proper working order.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #161
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
I was just popping in to suggest that it was never about scent.

That was an early assumption that people here just started accepting with nothing revealed on the show to confirm it. If scent were the zombies' tracking method, one would expect that there would be a close-up of a zombie suddenly sniffing the air to locate their prey. But they are in various stages of decomposition, and some don't even have noses. Scent is transmitted from nostril hairs to the brain. A rotten face without a nose does not have nostril hairs. And a nose clogged with dirt and blood clots would not transmit scent, and (thankfully) we have not seen walkers constantly picking their noses to keep them maintained and in proper working order.
So what makes the guts a good masking agent if not scent?
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #162
danterner
Not it!

Quote:

So what makes the guts a good masking agent if not scent?
Would you want to eat something all covered with guts and viscera? I think it's all about presentation and plating: messy humans simply don't look good enough to eat.

And a woman towing around zombies in chains? That's a Crazy Woman, and zombies know You Don't Eat Crazy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #163
fmowry

Quote:
If only there was a word in the English language that was used to describe what you are saying above.

This was in the TV.com review under the notes:

"– So there was the explanation of her pets, given out by The Governor's resident science nerd. Without arms and jaws, zombies become docile and lose the urge to try to snack on people. And they also "camouflage" their owners from other walkers. "

http://www.tv.com/news/the-walking-d...n-earth-29946/

The following link has more info on the scientist-governor scene:

"Milton also tells The Governor the arms were most likely removed so they can’t grab anyone, in turn, making them more ‘docile’. Milton states they are:

“…no longer in attack mode”.

Essentially, Milton feels they lose interest in feeding, thereby wasting away bit by bit. The Governor describes them as “lurkers” and dubs them valuable “camouflage”. He makes one of the most memorable lines in the “Walk With Me” episode:

“Walk with a biter, they think you are a biter.”

Essentially, he and Milton feel Michonne had the walkers with them to ward off other walkers. For some reason, they seem to think the walkers don’t like the smell of other walkers. "

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...-s-pet-zombies
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #164
Beryl

Quote:
Spoilerized for the spoiler nazis.

One page from Michonne's backstory in the comics, but not really a spoiler. The answer to the masking debate is right here:

* SPOILER *
Very cool, Hank. I now understand her perpetual 'scowl'. This chick is intense.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #165
jradosh
Newlywed

Where did the baby get her cute outfit?

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #166
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
Where did the baby get her cute outfit?
From a zombie baby that now had a knife in its head?
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #167
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post

If only there was a word in the English language that was used to describe what you are saying above.

This was in the TV.com review under the notes:

"– So there was the explanation of her pets, given out by The Governor's resident science nerd. Without arms and jaws, zombies become docile and lose the urge to try to snack on people. And they also "camouflage" their owners from other walkers. "

http://www.tv.com/news/the-walking-d...n-earth-29946/
I used the word "camouflage" in the earlier post I made about this, but nobody seemed to see it, so I reiterated.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #168
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I thought they showed us a water tower and even mentioned it, back when they first saw the prison. Maybe I misremembered.
I definitely remember seeing a water tower in the background of at least one scene.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #169
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Sorry to activate an old thread but I just watched the series this weekend. Did a zombie eat Rick's dead wife's body?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #170
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

presumably.

when Rick went down to where she had been, there was the fat walker that couldn't move because it had gorged itself on 'something'
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote