TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

Dexter S07E06 "Do the Wrong Thing"

Who else felt like the show jumped the shark at the end when he hooks up with Hanna instead of killing her.

O RLY?

360: Bees Tea Boys
Wii: 6028 2014 9605 5661
KRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS View Post
Who else felt like the show jumped the shark at the end when he hooks up with Hanna instead of killing her.

I saw that coming from the moment they introduced the character.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

I thought a hookup might take place, but the way it was presented was so over the top, I was unable to watch it with a straight face. To me it almost felt like a parody of Dexter - so much so, I said aloud "Oh, come on!"
O RLY?

Old 11-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
redrouteone
This Space for Lease

Honestly I am not feeling this season. Kinda wish they'd just catch him and get it over with.
redrouteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I too saw it coming. Especially since she's a pretty important character this season. Would've been too soon.

The Russian is the best villain, second to Trinity of course.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
VegasVic
Craps Player

I was liking this season until the whole Hannah story arc.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I was liking this season until the whole Hannah story arc.
I'm not fond of the Hannah story either. Once he has you on that table...you're done. But...have we seen him kill a woman on his table. I'm trying to remember.

I like Laguerta pulling at the loose strings we are all familiar with to see if it comes unraveled. There must be a TON of missing suspects on open cases in that precinct. Time to connect some dots.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
There was at least that woman that he went to France to kill.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
GDG76
Packet Herder

Deb was "on his table" and didn't die. Of course he didn't put her there...
GDG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Didn't he kill a couple that owned a junkyard?
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
danterner
Not it!

There was an "Angel of Death" nurse that liked euthanizing her patients a bit too much, if I recall.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
Dignan
_

Yeah, that last scene was unfortunate. I was just saying to my wife how Dexter had started to be good again after the Adama season. I'm hoping it's just a blip for one of the better seasons. YMMV.

I am enjoying Ray Stevenson, his character (Titus Pullo) from Rome is a personal favorite.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #13
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
There was an "Angel of Death" nurse that liked euthanizing her patients a bit too much, if I recall.
Wasn't that his dad's nurse?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
Test

There was the female cop that killed her family and covered it up.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #15
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Well, they sure got the episode title right.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
tiams

I liked Deb pointing out how F'ed up his behavior really was when he moved a girl he was killing with (Lumen) into his home with his kids. I think she also pointed out to him in an earlier episode that Rita's murder was directly related to him being a serial killer. His actions seem normal to him and maybe even to us viewers at this point, but when Deb says things out loud the horror becomes more real.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #17
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I liked Deb pointing out how F'ed up his behavior really was when he moved a girl he was killing with (Lumen) into his home with his kids. I think she also pointed out to him in an earlier episode that Rita's murder was directly related to him being a serial killer. His actions seem normal to him and maybe even to us viewers at this point, but when Deb says things out loud the horror becomes more real.
I was surprised he didn't do more explaining on that. The viewers don't all hate and revile Dexter since we get a good look at his victims. We saw Lumen as a captive, we saw the place where her fellow victims were kept and killed and knew more details about how she was treated.

None of that is supposed to excuse her illegal behavior, but Lumen and Dexter's relationship wasn't a pair of people who got kicks out of murder (well Dexter does ) but who came together for a specific revenge, prevent future acts, quest. In his own creepy way Dexter took someone who was freaked out and a captive and brought her back into the real world. We saw that, Deb didn't, and Dexter didn't come close to explaining that to her.

Rita's death wasn't exactly due to Dexter being a serial killer, it was related to him getting too close to Trinity. Heck, if Dexter had killed him as soon as he figured out who it was Rita would still be alive.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
I was surprised he didn't do more explaining on that. The viewers don't all hate and revile Dexter since we get a good look at his victims. We saw Lumen as a captive, we saw the place where her fellow victims were kept and killed and knew more details about how she was treated.

None of that is supposed to excuse her illegal behavior, but Lumen and Dexter's relationship wasn't a pair of people who got kicks out of murder (well Dexter does ) but who came together for a specific revenge, prevent future acts, quest. In his own creepy way Dexter took someone who was freaked out and a captive and brought her back into the real world. We saw that, Deb didn't, and Dexter didn't come close to explaining that to her.

Rita's death wasn't exactly due to Dexter being a serial killer, it was related to him getting too close to Trinity. Heck, if Dexter had killed him as soon as he figured out who it was Rita would still be alive.
I guess what I was trying to say is that even viewers hear Deb describe what he has done and think, "oh yeah, that was pretty bad". Hearing Deb articulate what he has done just points out how he would look to his co-workers, the public, and possibly a jury if he is found out. He isn't going to be able to explain the things he has done by saying his victims deserved it.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #19
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

It took me a while to remember the storyline with Jordan when Deb kept talking about suspects. It's not like Dexter just killed innocent people who were suspects. He and Lumen killed people who were directly involved. Why didn't he clarify this?
Old 11-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #20
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
It took me a while to remember the storyline with Jordan when Deb kept talking about suspects. It's not like Dexter just killed innocent people who were suspects. He and Lumen killed people who were directly involved. Why didn't he clarify this?
Because telling Deb that he only kills bad people would not have swayed her.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
waynomo
My One Time

And Deb is about to figure out the Dexter fudged the blood report to make Hannah look innocent!

Just caught up on the season.

It seems to me that they portraying Harry Morgan a little differently this season. I don't recall him ever being shown so plainly out in the daylight. Is that just my faulty memory? He just seems a bit more vivid or clear.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #22
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
She knows about his "code." She knows he only kills people he thinks are bad. He didn't need to explain this to her. It wouldn't have mattered anyway. Civilized people in a civilized society don't just take matters into their own hands when they think someone else is "bad."

I thought the ending was awful, but I thought that because even when Dexter was married to Rita, we know that he didn't enjoy sex and he didn't have the same physical reaction to sexual stimulation that normal people do. So for him to suddenly get turned on sexually by something he's done dozens of times and which has never been a sexual thing for him in the past just didn't make sense.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
She knows about his "code." She knows he only kills people he thinks are bad. He didn't need to explain this to her. It wouldn't have mattered anyway. Civilized people in a civilized society don't just take matters into their own hands when they think someone else is "bad."

I thought the ending was awful, but I thought that because even when Dexter was married to Rita, we know that he didn't enjoy sex and he didn't have the same physical reaction to sexual stimulation that normal people do. So for him to suddenly get turned on sexually by something he's done dozens of times and which has never been a sexual thing for him in the past just didn't make sense.
Over the course of the series we've seen him mature, though. Dexter of Season 1 denied having any sexual feelings for anyone, but Dexter as a person (and as a character) has evolved over time, to the point where I didn't have a problem seeing him have "feelings" for Rita, or Lumen, or Hannah. He's not incapable of emotion; he's just highly uncomfortable admitting to himself that he has them. And less uncomfortable now then he used to be.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #24
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

Quote:
Aside from the cheesyness of the scene, yeah, it just seemed so out of character for him.

At least the conflict of Dexter having to now try to protect Hanna after building up all the evidence against her will be interesting.
O RLY?

Old 11-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #25
mooseAndSquirrel

Maybe an explanation is Hannah may be the first to shrug and tell Dex, "do what ya gotta do." he's used to people begging and defending and threatening. Also, she's hot as hell.

I'm liking this season. There was usually a subplot I wasn't crazy about. Laguerta and Angel? Blech. Quinn and Deb? Blech. I hated the nerdy intern, but they killed him off. So I can deal with this Hannah subplot. It's at least more confusion of the code and Dexter's behavior for Deb to go crazy over. I wonder if Lumen will make some reappearance.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
So for him to suddenly get turned on sexually by something he's done dozens of times and which has never been a sexual thing for him in the past just didn't make sense.
Of course, those dozens of times he didn't have Yvonne Strahovski on the table...
Old 11-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #27
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
Maybe an explanation is Hannah may be the first to shrug and tell Dex, "do what ya gotta do." he's used to people begging and defending and threatening....
(Just caught up to this ep today)....That's the proverbial nail on the head...exactly the reason why. And, yes, count me as one who is also really enjoying this season...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote