TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
samsgood

Quick question- any way to transfer back to TiVo after editing?

Hey all

I was just wondering. After I pull a show from using kmttg and edit it using VideoREDO (taking out commercials or w/e I want), is there any way to then transfer the final product back to a .tivo file and put it back on my actual TiVo?
samsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsgood View Post
Hey all

I was just wondering. After I pull a show from using kmttg and edit it using VideoREDO (taking out commercials or w/e I want), is there any way to then transfer the final product back to a .tivo file and put it back on my actual TiVo?
Yes.

You'll need to install either Tivo Desktop or PyTivo on your computer since (IIRC) kmttg doesn't utilize the "go back" feature.

When you transfer files to your computer, leave them in the native .tivo format. VideoReDo works natively with .tivo files.
When you edit them in VideoReDo, "save as" a .tivo file and the meta data (guide info) will remain intact when you send the shows back to the Tivo.
You can also save them as an .mpg and the Tivo will still accept them, they just won't have the associated meta-data any longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
samsgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Yes.

You'll need to install either Tivo Desktop or PyTivo on your computer since (IIRC) kmttg doesn't utilize the "go back" feature.

When you transfer files to your computer, leave them in the native .tivo format. VideoReDo works natively with .tivo files.
When you edit them in VideoReDo, "save as" a .tivo file and the meta data (guide info) will remain intact when you send the shows back to the Tivo.
You can also save them as an .mpg and the Tivo will still accept them, they just won't have the associated meta-data any longer.
Oh awesome, thanks. Only issue I have encountered thus far is that when I try and open the .tivo file in VideoRedo, it gives me a message saying

tivo file open error, please check your media access key

and if i import it as an .mpg and then try saving it when editing is done as a .tivo, it says u can only save a .tivo file if it was imported as a .tivo file
samsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
lrhorer

Quote:
Yes.

Galleon is also a possibility, but most people will probably prefer pyTivo for GoBack capabilities.

Quote:
Since he already has kmttg up and running, a far better solution is to have kmttg download the metafile along with the main video and decrypt to .mpg on the fly. It won't take any longer, the resultant file is easier to edit and play from the server, and many programs can make use of the metafile, including vidmgr.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

When you download/transfer from a Tivo, it will be in a .TiVo file format, which is an encrypted DRM encapsulating a .mpg. Using decrypt in KMTTG will remove that DRM, and allows you to use other programs such as VideoReDo. If your system has Tivo Desktop installed, it allows .Tivo files to do the same thing, but without Desktop installed, it is an unknown file type.

Tivo desktop, PyTivo are only of the few programs that will allow transfers on a computer to/from a Tivo.

You do not need to convert video files to a .TiVo file as Tivo will accept .mpg files as well.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 11-19-2012 at 06:37 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Only issue I have encountered thus far is that when I try and open the .tivo file in VideoRedo, it gives me a message saying

tivo file open error, please check your media access key
Ah, yes I forgot about that. You have to have Tivo Desktop installed (at least partially) for VRD to work natively with .tivo files.
Install Tivo Desktop and set it up with you MAK. See if it suits your needs.
If it doesn't, just do a partial uninstall (you should see that as an option when you go to uninstall).
This will leave behind the codecs that VRD needs to work with .tivo files natively. This will also allow you to play .tivo files directly with WMP.
Quote:
and if i import it as an .mpg and then try saving it when editing is done as a .tivo, it says u can only save a .tivo file if it was imported as a .tivo file
Yeah, if you import an .mpg into VRD, there is no reason to save it as a .tivo file as the Tivo will accept an .mpg video file.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote