TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
David D

Ok, I've about had enough...

Some of you might have read my thread about my year old TiVo rebooting and the many calls to TiVo tech support. Eventually, it was decided that my TiVo's hard drive was failing and I was offered a replacement unit for $49. I decided to take them up on their offer, even though I wasn't happy about having to replace the unit after 13 months of ownership. The new unit arrived this past Monday and I hooked it up Tuesday night. All has been well, up until this evening...

Just got home a little while ago and turned on the TV to find that TiVo was on the "Almost there, just a few minutes more..." screen like the original unit was doing before.

I'm getting ready to call TiVo and have yet another chat with tech support, but am not very hopeful. I find it odd that my old unit was in that same state for a couple of minutes, then would resume normal operation shortly after the tv was turned on. I'm using HDMI connections. There seems to be a correlation between the tv being turned on and the TiVo booting up.

Any ideas? I really like our TiVo, but am getting frustrated enough to start exploring other options.

David
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
moyekj

If there is a correlation with turning TV on then 1st thing I'd try is connect to TV with component instead of HDMI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
David D

Just got off the phone with TiVo tech support. They suggested everything from installing a UPS, to using component video cabling, to moving the unit away from other components that may be causing electrical interference. Also said that too strong a signal and too low a signal could cause the unit to reboot (I'm using an antenna). Also said that the signal strength meter was only for use with digital cable and not antenna, so it would not help me determine if my signal was good or not. Really?... Nothing in my equipment setup has changed that coincides with this problem. I've been using the same setup since the initial TiVo install over a year ago.

Sorry if I seem a bit disenchanted, but I'm an electronic technician by trade and most of the help TiVo tech support has offered sets off my BS detector, or suggests that their product is very poorly engineered. It's a shame as I'm really quite pleased with it otherwise.

I'll give it another week or so and see how it does. In the meantime, if anyone has any more suggestions, I'm all ears.

David
Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
chrislemasters

Voltage changes in that circuit? Some premieres seem to be sensitive to sag. Mine reboots if a clothes iron or vacuum is plugged into the circuit. Check with your handy multimeter.
chrislemasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

Really

"Also said that too strong a signal and too low a signal could cause the unit to reboot (I'm using an antenna). Also said that the signal strength meter was only for use with digital cable and not antenna, so it would not help me determine if my signal was good or not. Really?"

That obviously is not true. Why would it differentiate between antenna strength and cable signal on the meters. That has to be one of the stupidest things i've ever heard a rep say.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Ed_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
They suggested everything from installing a UPS,...

David
That at least is a good idea. Any computer, including a TiVo, is sensitive to voltage spikes and momentary outages.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
Just got off the phone with TiVo tech support. They suggested everything from installing a UPS, to using
If you are not using a UPS, then all troubleshooting is probably worthless until you get and use one. It is the right thing to do, regardless of what DVR you use, regardless if you are having equipment problems or not, regardless of how "good" or "bad" your power appears to be.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Lots of good suggestions here but the quickest and cheapest may be to ditch the HDMI cable. I've seen a variety of issues with HDMI in general.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Lots of good suggestions here but the quickest and cheapest may be to ditch the HDMI cable. I've seen a variety of issues with HDMI in general.
If someone handed me a set of component cables, I'd switch from hdmi right that minute - I'm just to lazy to go buy a set.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
farmermac
Super user

David, I remember your first post. The only thing you can do (that's worth the time) is call TiVo be have them switch it out until you get a Stable box.

I had a very similar experience with multiple premieres and ended up just sticking to my s3 and buying a second s3.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
If someone handed me a set of component cables, I'd switch from hdmi right that minute - I'm just to lazy to go buy a set.
You can just use old audio RCA cables, if you have them. No need to buy special ones for component video.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
You can just use old audio RCA cables, if you have them. No need to buy special ones for component video.
Although the color coding does make it a bit easier to connect them properly. I'm using the set of component cables that were (I think) included with my THD to connect my DVD player to the TV.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #13
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
Reasonably new audio RCA cables may be manufactured with the same type of cable used for video RCA cables, but I think some older audio cables may not have the proper impedance to carry video. Am I misremembering?
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #14
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Do you have a slide remote, or anything else plugged into the Tivo via USB? If so, unplug it and try rebooting.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I can't believe that you haven't collected a bunch of spare cables over the years. I've got two shoe boxes full of them. Everytime I buy a used Tivo I get more, on top of the ones that came with TVs, DVD players, etc. If I wasn't so lazy I'd mail you a set.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I can't believe that you haven't collected a bunch of spare cables over the years. I've got two shoe boxes full of them. Everytime I buy a used Tivo I get more, on top of the ones that came with TVs, DVD players, etc. If I wasn't so lazy I'd mail you a set.
I've handed them all out to friends and family that are too stupid to know what they need to go out and buy. I do have one set of NIB composite cables, but that would only cover 3 of the 5 necessary connections.

I have been inspired and have ordered the cables I need. Actually, I needed to find $7 of qualifying items for free super saver shipping on Amazon while making another purchase, so I found some cables.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
David D

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
If you are not using a UPS, then all troubleshooting is probably worthless until you get and use one. It is the right thing to do, regardless of what DVR you use, regardless if you are having equipment problems or not, regardless of how "good" or "bad" your power appears to be.
I'm going to get a UPS and see if that helps.

Quote:
I started having problems with the old box before switching to HDMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE View Post
Do you have a slide remote, or anything else plugged into the Tivo via USB? If so, unplug it and try rebooting.
Nope, nothing else plugged into the TiVo.

So far, since I started this thread, we haven't had any additional reboots. Hopefully, it was just a glitch. I'll try the UPS and see how it does.

David
Old 06-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #18
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Reasonably new audio RCA cables may be manufactured with the same type of cable used for video RCA cables, but I think some older audio cables may not have the proper impedance to carry video. Am I misremembering?
I used some short audio cables that I had from the late 70's on a DVD player and the picture looked good to me.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote