TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
mvnuenen
~0.0~

Will Stream work over ac wireless bridge?

I have two Netgear's ac routers (one configured as a bridge). This gives me wireless speeds allowing streaming of bluray movies and seems on par with MoCA. I plan to connect the Stream to my primary router but my Tivo is wired to my bridge.
Will this work?
mvnuenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Maybe, but TiVo only officially supports MoCa or Ethernet so if it doesn't they wont help if it doesn't.

If you're going to do it that way you should hook the Stream to the same leg of the network as the TiVo. That way TiVo to Stream is wired and the only part going over wifi is the compressed H.264 stream.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
magnox

Makes no difference as the bridge presents ethernet to the stream.
magnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
mattack

Well, it makes a difference because if the connection is flaky, it won't work reliably.

It's REALLY annoying, but BOTH the Tivo and the Stream need to be able to connect to the Internet (to contact Tivo) while you're downloading/streaming a show. Seems completely unnecessary, since both are already registered to your account, and for example, I could download with kmttg without the Tivo seeing the internet.

I use a bridge (and admittedly, my connection is flakier than I previously thought it was) to connect upstairs (with the Tivo & Stream) to downstairs Internet.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
jcthorne

You really should investigate going to a moca connection. Its as reliable as a wired ethernet connection (in this application) and faster than the tivo can move data.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
mattack

AFAIK, the Moca adapters aren't dirt cheap anymore, so it would be a bunch of money.. Plus, I already need an amplifier upstairs, so I'm not sure if the Moca would still work as well (presumably it would be before the amplifier, but if I need to amplify my signal to get stable signal, maybe the moca frequencies would have the same issue?)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo has MoCa adapaters for $50...
https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories-networking.do

Also I use two seperate amplifiers to get a good TV signal in my house, and MoCa still works fine. A bad TV signal is usually caused by a low signal level coming into the house. That has no effect on MoCa because the MocA adapater generate their own signal.

Dan
Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
jcthorne

The actiontec moca adaptors are available from amazon as well for under $100 for a two pack and free shipping.

They just work. No setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
compnurd

You may be ok with AC, but the connection quality will be the biggest question. AC is much faster then N so the speed will be there
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
herbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
The actiontec moca adaptors are available from amazon as well for under $100 for a two pack and free shipping.

They just work. No setup.
Where? I see nothing that inexpensive.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #11
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbman View Post
Ok so they are 120 this morning. Amazon prices change. Use camelcamelcamel to track if you like. They were 96 last week when I bought some. Tivo also sells them for 50 each.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbman View Post
You can also get actiontec fios routers from craigslist or ebay too. You can see the instructions here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984

Last edited by ShayL : 12-17-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
COol! When did they start selling those?
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I ordered one from TiVo back in May-12 for $79.99 and ordered another one on Sept-12 for $49.99.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
davezatz
Funkadelic

Hm, interesting. Either I missed this or forgot. I have an old FiOS Actiontec router I need to hack into bridge mode to get a few more Ethernet jacks near my downstairs coax drop. But 50 bucks seems pretty reasonable - could find a use for that. Especially since it looks to have coax pass-thru, unlike my Actiontec.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
sbiller

Quote:
Hm, interesting. Either I missed this or forgot. I have an old FiOS Actiontec router I need to hack into bridge mode to get a few more Ethernet jacks near my downstairs coax drop. But 50 bucks seems pretty reasonable - could find a use for that. Especially since it looks to have coax pass-thru, unlike my Actiontec.
Yep. It works great in my FiOS set-up providing both Coax and Ethernet to my 2-tuner Premiere and Ethernet to my Roku. I did have to add an Ethernet switch since it only has one Ethernet output.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Like a week after I paid $75 for one from Amazon.

Dan