TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Season Pass Alerts
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-02-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
aforkosh

SP problems for The Hour

I set up a Season Pass for the BBC America series The Hour (a 6 episode miniseries that started last Wednesday). The Season Pass correctly picked up the second episode on December 5 but not the third episode on December 12. The episode is in the guide already but for some reason it does not show up as an upcoming episode for the series. So I have set up a second season pass. Who knows which pass (if any) will get the remaining episodes.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aforkosh View Post
I set up a Season Pass for the BBC America series The Hour (a 6 episode miniseries that started last Wednesday). The Season Pass correctly picked up the second episode on December 5 but not the third episode on December 12. The episode is in the guide already but for some reason it does not show up as an upcoming episode for the series. So I have set up a second season pass. Who knows which pass (if any) will get the remaining episodes.
I looked at zap2it and for some reason, Tribune has assigned two different Series IDs to this series. It looks like your SP is based on one of them and it matched the one that episode 2 had. Episode 3 apparently got the other one.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
CraigK
(unspecified)

Thanks for starting this thread. My existing Season Pass missed the December 12th episode also.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
LynnL999

Yup, same here. The new SP also picked up the following episode. I canceled the old one so hopefully the new one will work for the rest of the series.

10+ years of TiVo, and I've never seen this particular glitch before. As if the foreign shows with the wrong original dates don't cause enough problems.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
Yup, same here. The new SP also picked up the following episode. I canceled the old one so hopefully the new one will work for the rest of the series.
I would have kept both if I were you, since both seriesIds still exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
10+ years of TiVo, and I've never seen this particular glitch before. As if the foreign shows with the wrong original dates don't cause enough problems.
Blame Tribune for both of these. And the OAD isn't wrong, it is accurate. It just doesn't reflect the date of the first U.S. showing.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
aforkosh

Episode 6 uses the Ep 1-2 SP

If you deleted the original season pass when The Hour required a new one for episode 3, you have some work to do. Episodes 4 and 5 (to be shown on 12/26) are located via the same SP as episode 3, but episode 6 (the last one) on 1/2 gets picked up by the original SP that worked for episodes 1 and 2.

So, if you currently have a working SP for The Hour, check to see if anything is set to record on 1/2/2013. If not, force it manually.

However, even that may not fix things. Each episode of The Hour has a running time of just short of 1 hour WITHOUT commercial interruptions. In order to accommodate commercials, the BBC America versions have been running for 1 hour 15 minutes. However, the January 2 episode is shown as only running for 1 hour. Either there are no commercials or BBC America will be showing an abridged version. Note that if that is so, the full episode should be available for a pice on various services such as iTunes, Vudu, and Amazon.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
cwoody222

I ended up creating a ARWL for HOUR+West, Dominic.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:09 AM   #8
aforkosh

Note that previous episodes have run for 1 hour 15 minutes to accommodate the 58-59 minute running time of the dramatic material and allow for the addition of commercials. However, the January 2 episode is only given a 1-hour time slot. So, I expect that about 10 minutes of the show will hit the cutting room floor. I intend to skip the BBCA telecast and pick up the iTunes version which should be released by the next morning.

Background: When BBCA showed the series Inside Men last summer, they tried to fit a 1-hour BBC show into a 1-hour time slot including 15 or so minutes of commercials. I actually bought the iTunes version and watched that. Unfortunately, it was not captioned and some of accents were hard to understand. Thus, I reviewed the telecast version to try to understand some of the dialog for scenes that I found hard to interpret. In doing so, I observed how scenes that were vital to the piece were cut. Having seen similar hack jobs on other imported series, I have resolved not to watch them if material is lost. I'm willing to compromise and have some continuity disrupted, but losing tightly edited material goes too far.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
oregonman

It looks like the episode numbers are messed up on some episodes. The Jan 2 one has an eight digit episode number.
oregonman is offline   Reply With Quote