TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Kevin249

Verizon Fios STB Required?

Hi all, wondering if I just got bad info from the fios rep I just talked to, or of there is any truth to this:

I currently have 3 Tivo's. A Series 3 HD and a Premiere using Cable cards, and a Series 2 using a Verizon owned Motorola QID-2500 SD STB, with channel changing via the serial cable. Today, to take advantage of Tivo's free wireless n adapter deal, I purchased a new 75 hour Premiere to replace the aging Series 2. I called 1800-Verizon to order a cable card for the new Premiere, and to arrange return of my Motorola STB. The rep said she would gladly send me a cable card, but that I could not return the STB (or even disconnect it permanently and just throw it in the closet) as she claimed in order for Fios to work properly, I needed to have a minimum of one STB connected to the network. I told her I didn't care about the on demand stuff, and knew I'd be giving that up, but she insisted I needed to keep at least one box connected, or "It won't work." I pressed her to find out what exactly what "wouldn't work," and she basically said nothing will work unless the STB remained in service because the box periodically communicates with their network, and if it didnt check in, the service would stop working properly. Basically, she just kept insisting every customer needs at least one STB hooked up at all times.

This sounds kind of outlandish to me. Anyone out there have fios working without any STB in their house?
Kevin249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
innocentfreak

I can't speak about Frontier FiOS, but on Verizon FiOS this isn't the case.

I only have CableCARDs. You don't even need to call to return the STB. You can take it to most Verizon stores or UPS stores and they will ship it back for you. Just make sure to get a receipt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Kevin249

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I can't speak about Frontier FiOS, but on Verizon FiOS this isn't the case.

I only have CableCARDs. You don't even need to call to return the STB. You can take it to most Verizon stores or UPS stores and they will ship it back for you. Just make sure to get a receipt.
Great. That sounds more logical. I guess I just got a mis-informed Verizon rep. Thanks!

I do have one more question though, if anyone knows this answer? Does the TiVo wireless n adapter work with Verizon FiOS? I have a their revision F router, but as best I can tell it is programmed by Verizon for only wireless A/b/g and not n. So more specifically, my question is, is the TiVo n adapter backwards compatible with wireless g?
Kevin249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin249 View Post
Hi all, wondering if I just got bad info from the fios rep I just talked to, or of there is any truth to this:

I currently have 3 Tivo's. A Series 3 HD and a Premiere using Cable cards, and a Series 2 using a Verizon owned Motorola QID-2500 SD STB, with channel changing via the serial cable. Today, to take advantage of Tivo's free wireless n adapter deal, I purchased a new 75 hour Premiere to replace the aging Series 2. I called 1800-Verizon to order a cable card for the new Premiere, and to arrange return of my Motorola STB. The rep said she would gladly send me a cable card, but that I could not return the STB (or even disconnect it permanently and just throw it in the closet) as she claimed in order for Fios to work properly, I needed to have a minimum of one STB connected to the network. I told her I didn't care about the on demand stuff, and knew I'd be giving that up, but she insisted I needed to keep at least one box connected, or "It won't work." I pressed her to find out what exactly what "wouldn't work," and she basically said nothing will work unless the STB remained in service because the box periodically communicates with their network, and if it didnt check in, the service would stop working properly. Basically, she just kept insisting every customer needs at least one STB hooked up at all times.

This sounds kind of outlandish to me. Anyone out there have fios working without any STB in their house?
She is full of bologna. Return the unit and ask to speak to her supervisor. She Needs to stop putting out misinformation just to collect a fee.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin249 View Post
Great. That sounds more logical. I guess I just got a mis-informed Verizon rep. Thanks!

I do have one more question though, if anyone knows this answer? Does the TiVo wireless n adapter work with Verizon FiOS? I have a their revision F router, but as best I can tell it is programmed by Verizon for only wireless A/b/g and not n. So more specifically, my question is, is the TiVo n adapter backwards compatible with wireless g?
I have FiOS and a wireless N adapter, and it is backward compatible. And I don't have any STBs.

Last edited by jay_man2 : 04-24-2012 at 06:38 PM.
jay_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
KnordRW

I can say without hesitation that is not true. I have 3 Premiere XLs with Cable CARDs from VZ FiOS, and nothing more. I don't even have the Actiontec hooked up, switched to ethernet wan and ditched that ASAP. So yeah....get the new cable card, then once that's hooked up, take that old stb back to one of their stores and they will take it off your account.
KnordRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I've had both Verizon and Frontier FiOS, and apart from the first three months when they gave me a STB free, I have never had a STB in my house. CableCARDs only.
David Platt is online now   Reply With Quote