I am Groot!

My, Castle, what dainty hands you have!

And well-manicured, too!

Oh, wait...

Took me a minute!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I've never watched this show but I caught a couple of minutes of it last night. I was surprised that it has been on for four seasons.

Is the basic premise that Castle is researching a book and went on a ride along with the detective? Or is there more to it than that?

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
Is the basic premise that Castle is researching a book and went on a ride along with the detective? Or is there more to it than that?
Well, originally, yes, because he is a friend of the mayor. By now he has written a couple books and he is more of a consultant/partner even though his official role is still "writer".
Old 09-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
I've never watched this show but I caught a couple of minutes of it last night. I was surprised that it has been on for four seasons.

The basic premise for the series: The NYPD was investigating a series of murders which appeared to be copying those from the books written by pulp mystery writer Richard Castle. He was brought in to consult on that case. He was paired up with investigating detective Kate Beckett.

Following that case, he decided to create a new series of books, whose protagonist Nikki Heat was modeled upon Beckett. Through his close connection with the NYC mayor, he was allowed to continue to 'consult' on various cases, while ostensibly gathering research for the Nikki Heat series.

The series is a procedural "murder of the week," while also having some ongoing serial elements that mostly involve Beckett's back story. Part of the appeal of the series is Fillion's depiction of Castle and his interaction with Beckett (as well as Beckett's partners Ryan and Esposito). It really is a very entertaining series, and doesn't get nearly the ratings it deserves.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
SNJpage1

I have enjoyed this show from the very start. I think Casle and Beckett play well off of each other. I especially like how Castle will think a murder has something to do with the occult or aliens. A book writen by the shows character Castle has actually made it into print.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

I always thought of it as ABC's answer to Bones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
A book writen by the shows character Castle has actually made it into print.
More than just one.

Heat Wave (Nikki Heat #1)
Naked Heat (Nikki Heat #2)
Heat Rises (Nikki Heat #3)
Frozen Heat (Nikki Heat #4)
A Brewing Storm: A Derrick Storm Short
A Raging Storm: A Derrick Storm Short
A Bloody Storm: A Derrick Storm Short

Amazon bio for Richard Castle (with Nathan Fillion's head shot)
Quote:
Richard Castle is the author of numerous bestsellers, including the critically acclaimed Derrick Storm series. His first novel, In a Hail of Bullets, published while he was still in college, received the Nom DePlume Society's prestigious Tom Straw Award for Mystery Literature. Castle currently lives in Manhattan with his daughter and mother, both of whom infuse his life with humor and inspiration.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
It really is a very entertaining series, and doesn't get nearly the ratings it deserves.
Still entertaining, but not as much fun as it was during the early seasons, where Castle had poker games with real-life mystery writers (appearing as themselves).

And I still love the chemistry when Fillion, Molly Quinn, and Susan Sullivan are on screen. Great ensemble work all around. If only the mystery plots were as good as the family stuff, this show would be a knockout.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Do we know who actually wrote the "Richard Castle" books?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Still entertaining, but not as much fun as it was during the early seasons, where Castle had poker games with real-life mystery writers (appearing as themselves).
Those only happened every now and again, even back then. Although they have still mentioned the poker games, it's about time that they feature them again. It has just been a little awkward since Cannell's death.

Quote:
And I still love the chemistry when Fillion, Molly Quinn, and Susan Sullivan are on screen. Great ensemble work all around. If only the mystery plots were as good as the family stuff, this show would be a knockout.
I love Molly Quinn. She simply explodes off the screen. Not sure how one person can have that much charisma. She is an excellent pairing with Fillion, a guy with boatloads of charisma himself.

I think if I have a quibble with the show, it's that they often times try a little too hard to make the mysteries too complex. They throw in about a dozen extra characters, all of which are red herrings, and by the time they reveal the mystery at the end, I've gotten so lost that I've forgotten who or what the story was about in the first place.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgecon View Post
I always thought of it as ABC's answer to Bones.
Eh, Bones might have inspired ABC to try and come up with a mystery series, but the shows really are completely different in style and concept.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Do we know who actually wrote the "Richard Castle" books?
Nope. Tons of potential candidates but none definitive.

The most likely candidate is a Hollywood writer named Tom Straw. If you read the "Richard Castle" bio from the books, Straw is even mentioned: "Castle is an author of mystery fiction, with 26 bestsellers. His first novel, In a Hail of Bullets won the Nom DePlume Society's Tom Straw Award for Mystery Literature..."

Other potentials are Andrew Marlowe (creator of the show) and Dennis Lehane (who was one of the authors in the Castle poker game). Personally, I'd eliminate Lehane... the books frankly aren't very good. They'd be somewhat below Lehane's writing skill.

Last edited by LoadStar : 09-11-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
I think if I have a quibble with the show, it's that they often times try a little too hard to make the mysteries too complex. They throw in about a dozen extra characters, all of which are red herrings, and by the time they reveal the mystery at the end, I've gotten so lost that I've forgotten who or what the story was about in the first place.
Glad I'm not the only one.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Glad I'm not the only one.
Yeah, me too, but I'd watch Nathan Fillion read the phone book so I'm good.

I love the interactions with his daughter and mother (Kitty!) and also with Esposito and Ryan.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Imagining where her other hand is...

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
I love the interactions with his daughter and mother (Kitty!) and also with Esposito and Ryan.
Yeah, and that's why the mystery stuff doesn't bother me...the show is ALL about the relationships.

What bothers me is that the relationships (especially with Beckett) are getting messed up, both with the sexual tension (which is inevitable in this kind of show; they can't do NOTHING, but I don't think anything they do will be as good as what has bee), and the Beckett's mother subplot, which I think was a bad idea from the start, and has only gotten worse.

Hopefully they're just going through a rough patch and will get back the old full-fledged multifaceted chemistry.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
DavidJL

The only thing I don't like about the show is that it's success diminishes the likelihood of a Firefly return. I was hoping Josh Whedon could use some of his Avengers money to make a Firefly/Serenity Prequel/sequel.
DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
mattack

Quote:
Wow, I think this is one of the *lightest* shows out there. There are IIRC 2 episodes I think were semi-deep/tricky.. One about IIRC an accountant that I think didn't really make too much sense (I remember asking about it here), and another where the killer was only previously shown as the cop saying "take a look at this"..

Those were mostly confusing issues, but generally this show needs to be a LOT more complex.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #19
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Wow, I think this is one of the *lightest* shows out there. There are IIRC 2 episodes I think were semi-deep/tricky.. One about IIRC an accountant that I think didn't really make too much sense (I remember asking about it here), and another where the killer was only previously shown as the cop saying "take a look at this"..

Those were mostly confusing issues, but generally this show needs to be a LOT more complex.
I wouldn't say it is the "lightest" or least complex show, but I agree that it is certainly not complex either. I suppose I'd rank it in the middle somewhere.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote